Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Your worst Albion home game......

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
That was Gillingham, we lost 4-2. They did have 9 men.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/2241402.stm

Gallant Gillingham got their season back on course with a thrilling win at struggling Brighton - after having two men sent off.

Mark Saunders had already been dismissed in the first half when Kevin James received his marching orders seconds after sealing victory with a last-minute fourth goal.

The Gills had taken just one point from their last four games after briefly topping the Division One table.

But a quickfire double blast early on set them on their way at the Withdean Stadium.

And although Brighton made a fight of it in the second half, Gillingham hung on before grabbing the dramatic late clincher.

Two goals inside 60 seconds put Gillingham in control.

Paul Shaw opened the scoring in the 11th minute with a low left-footed drive, following an error from Danny Cullip.

And the visitors doubled their account almost straight from the restart when David Perpetuini drilled the ball home from the edge of the area.

The double strike rocked Brighton, who have lost five games in a row since their opening day victory at Burnley.

The struggling Seagulls hauled themselves back into contention with a stunning strike from Richard Carpenter after 26 minutes.

Double whammy

He unleashed a spectacular right-foot volley which flashed into the net from fully 25 yards.

It was Brighton's first League goal at home this season.

As the temperature rose, Brighton's Charlie Oatway and Gillingham's Mark Saunders were both booked for unsporting behaviour.

The visitors regained their composure to restore their two-goal advantage after 35 minutes with another stunning strike from Shaw.

His second goal of the game came courtesy of an intelligent lob from 18 yards.

But they lost their heads again just two minutes later when Saunders - who was already on a yellow card - was promptly dismissed for violent conduct.

Brighton finally scored the second goal they had been threatening with 10 minutes left when Gary Hart hit home a low right-footed drive from inside the area.

But in the final seconds Kevin James grabbed Gillingham's fourth - only to then be promptly sent off for a second bookable offence

Brighton: Petterson, Pethick, Cullip, Butters, Watson, Melton, Oatway, Carpenter, Jones, Kitson, Wilkinson. Subs: Rogers, Hart, Packham, Marney, Hammond.

Gillingham: Brown, Saunders, Ashby, Hope, Edge, Shaw, Hessenthaler, Smith, Perpetuini, James, Ipoua. Subs: Bartram, Leon Johnson, Rose, Pennock, Awuah.

Referee: M Cooper (West Midlands).

Good God, thanks for that, I had completely erased that from my memory....

Cheers....

Not :lolol:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Brighton 0 - 1 Millwall
12th December 2014

The only time I've seen an Amex crowd turn on a manager so obviously and vociferously as they did with Hyppia that day, to cap it all off the Millwall fans were (as usual) bellends, the weather was shite and it really looked like we were on an inexorable journey into League One.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Theres so many!

in more recent times the first league loss at the amex, the FFS Murray game, having been 1 up, and losing 3-1.

luckily for me, I wasnt at the play off defeat as had to work.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Brighton 0 - 1 Millwall
12th December 2014

The only time I've seen an Amex crowd turn on a manager so obviously and vociferously as they did with Hyppia that day, to cap it all off the Millwall fans were (as usual) bellends, the weather was shite and it really looked like we were on an inexorable journey into League One.

Not to mention this Albion numpty, I was just along the same row with my old man that day, who had not seen the Albion in Brighton since 1968.
Dire manager, no wonder tempers were starting to flare.

https://youtu.be/Su_8BiNu0cg

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Aye the W&H game and if memory serves me correct at the time of power cuts, three day week etc

It was. A mid-week game in the afternoon. I was at school and didn't bunk off like some of my mates did - I made the right choice

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I didn't attend this match, but we'd just moved in near the stadium and not long into the second half I saw half the attendees pour out to head home.

At the time it seemed another low in footballing terms, how far we'd fallen in the pecking order. A midtable team who scored on average a goal a game, could rock up to our patch and grab 5 goals.

Sunday, 30 April 2006
Brighton 1-5 Stoke
Henderson, Reid, Hinshelwood, Butters, Lynch, Nicolas, Carpenter, Carole, Frutos (Loft 58), Noel-Williams, Kazim-Richards.
Subs Not Used: Chaigneau, Mayo, El-Abd, Gatting.

Goals: Loft 84.

Stoke: Simonsen, Duberry, Hill, Mbuyi, Buxton, Brammer (Garrett 70), Russell, Skoko (Kopteff 83), Dickinson, Rooney (Sweeney 77), Sidibe.
Subs Not Used: de Goey, Broomes.

Goals: Rooney 6, 22, Sidibe 40, Rooney 63, Sweeney 82.

Att: 5,859

D

Deleted member 2719

I know it won't be popular, but I have to say how I felt at the time.

Too many to mention under Hughton as I found it hard to stomach a defence only approach at home.

I can not name one as they all seemed to blur.

Just didn't like his brand of football.

Yes, I went and watched lower league football at the Preistfield and Withdean, but at least those matches you could stand up and shout a few fffffffffffffffs, without a life ban.

World of Sport

Mar 9, 2007
WSU
In a Michael Palin voice .. 'EIGHT BLOODY TWO'!!!!!.....
How a game stays in my now deteriorating mind for over 46 years I don't know.
And just to rub it in, it was the main game on the Big Match, TV cameras never went to the Goldstone.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I don't remember many games at G*****$%*£M it was horrible, my biggest memory was car loaded up, driving home on the M25 and had a blow out in my mk1 Capri. I had to kick everyone out of the car to change the rear wheel on the hard shoulder, when I put my hands round to remove the wheel all the shredded steel belt wires stabbed my fingers.

got home safe, but that was icing on the football cake back then.

That’s awful! We used to travel up in a convoy of cars sometimes, never forget mates in another passing me on M25 and out of the rear passenger window was one of them’s bare arse sticking out, flying past at 80mph as we looked right. Couldn’t stop laughing all the way home. :lolol: One of the more memorable trips!

Tony Le Mesmer

Jul 5, 2003
South Wales
Darlington at Home (Gillingham) in 1998.

0-4 Gabbi-donkey hat-trick.

Truely inept and dreadful performance in that place. Thank christ for Donny Rovers that season as we were worse than dire!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
My memory plays tricks now, but a Zenith/other sponsors I can’t remember cup/ trophy, Mickey Mouse competition game, at the dog end of the Goldstone years.
Against Walsall, a absolutely freezing , Artic evening game, horizontal sleet, and only the West stand open. A crowd of about 1,200 - 1,500 mad people who obviously enjoyed shivering as a hobby.
If memory serves, 2-1 to them with a couple of minutes to go, then we equalised in the last minute. Great, 30 minutes extra time, just what my hypothermic body needed.
Within 2 minutes of the kickoff, they scored again making it 2-3 , I was so, so cold, I didn’t even moan.

I’ve been to both the Artic and the Antarctic, I have never been colder, it was a crap game, with 2 crap sides playing crap football,as most of our games were in that period.
I stayed to the end though, no early leaving for me.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Wasn't Sudbury about minus a million degrees also? Went to the away game up there too which was bad enough. Another standout was Notts County at home in the Sherpa Vans Trophy when we were stuffed 5-1 and half the North Stand took to cheering their goals.

It was cold that night. 😂

At the original game on the Saturday, our then manager, fell asleep in the dugout in the first half, apparently it was all getting to him ,that and a heavy night out on the Friday. 🙈

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Oxford United in the Cup, a fecking part timer who was a postman ran us ragged and we were a Division One team. To say I was shocked is an understatement

I left at half time....... Keith Cassells wasn’t it ?

Ghost of Killer Reeves

Oct 3, 2020
Somerset
In a Michael Palin voice .. 'EIGHT BLOODY TWO'!!!!!.....
How a game stays in my now deteriorating mind for over 46 years I don't know.
And just to rub it in, it was the main game on the Big Match, TV cameras never went to the Goldstone.

Didn’t go to that one as I had a row with my dad but I remember making up to him as I shouted out the goal flashes to him as he worked in the garden.
As a kid I used to go to the ground if the word was out that we would be on the telly to check if the TV vans were there. It felt like a visit from another world when they did.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Lost 0-2 to Bristol City in Feb 96.
I genuinely can’t recall a worse feeling after a home game - I knew then we were going down. Utterly hopeless performance with growing aggro off the pitch too.

Still, I went out clubbing after the game and pulled a stunner, so I had cheered up a bit before I made it to bed!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here