Your views on the origin of the Universe

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Basil Fawlty replying to Polly " Beats me - we're stuck with it I suppose"

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Quantum theory is certainly offering us some clues as to what time, reality and consciousness really are... The measurement problem, the potential that it is consciousness which causes the collapse of superpositioned particles that make up our universe... it's all a bit of an eye opener to anyone who is prepared to question scientific dogma.... You probably have more of a clue than most, if you dare contemplate it.

I've forgotten almost all of it but even when i was studying it, it never convinced me that science has all the answers. Agnostic then, agnostic now. I also think that Wittgenstein was right that some things we will never understand because they are just so weird and complicated and therefore we can't describe it and if we can't describe it we shouldn't worry about these things.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
I quite like the ideas put forwards by brane cosmology, where the universe is merely one four dimensional membrane sitting in a higher dimensional space containing many membrane based universes. It explains why gravity is weaker than the other forces, and may also explain dark matter as simply the gravitational attraction of other membranes, rather than unobservable matter in our universe. Parts of it are testable as well, which is always much neater.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I like the idea of it being created by God.
The biggest question which has always been on my mind is WHY?
Why do we exist? Why does there have to be a universe? What are all those trillions of stars there for? Why why why?

But then.....how was and who created God?

Cypriot-Seagull

Jul 15, 2011
Somewhere in Cyprus
I like the idea of it being created by God.
The biggest question which has always been on my mind is WHY?
Why do we exist? Why does there have to be a universe? What are all those trillions of stars there for? Why why why?

But then.....how was and who created God?
Exactly
Too many unanswered questions which we don't have a clue how to answer and probably ever wont.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
As a card carrying Christian, should i say that the world was created about 4,500 years ago and that any evidence of dinosaurs and whatever being older than that was faked by God?

No, I shouldn't, and not being a scientist, I am not consumed by a passion to find out how the universe did come about.. What matters more to me at the moment is what happens at selhurst park next Friday evening, and at the AMEX the following Monday.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Where the **** did all the atoms, gases and etc etc come from?!

Well, I believe the Big Bang was the consequence of a singularity of a black hole, and also our universe was born from the destruction of the previous.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
What if the universe has always been here and our understanding of time as linear is as flawed as people thinking that the Earth is flat and that there's a place where the world starts and finishes?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This is all a dream, The Amex, Gus, Ulloa, Vicente et al.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
What if the universe has always been here and our understanding of time as linear is as flawed as people thinking that the Earth is flat and that there's a place where the world starts and finishes?

Well, logical tells us that everything must start from something, so what was the conditions for matter and dark matter to be created. I honestly don't think it'll ever be answered, but at the time, flat earth theory was logical in the knowledge they had available.

But how did the Sumerians know of the solar system?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
They're making Christians carry cards now? These police restrictions are getting ridiculous.

Christians can be dangerous and need to be kept under close scrutiny.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Look within yourselves to find the answers - reality cannot exist with you. You are God, because collectively we are all God - and so is every other living thing that has the capacity to experience. You are the reason for the laws of physics, the stars, the elements and every other law and entity that exists in our universe. You are what collapses a chaotic realm of infinite possibilities into this reality that you are experiencing right now.

Because you are consciousness, consciousness is the universe - and it has been, we have been, since the beginning of time - because time cannot exist without us.
sound like Alastair Crowley, SATANIST.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here