Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your Top Three British Films

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'd definitely have Colonel Blimp in there. And probably Black Narcissus. And if we're to make it a Powell and Pressburger triple-bill, which is entirely feasible, in spite of knocking out the earlier Hitchcock fare and the usually telling Mike Leigh canon and the dark comicality of the Ealing Classics, then it'd have to be A Matter of Life and Death. The expertly intertwined phantasmagorical and emotionally rich work of P&P just about win it over. Legends.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Ice cold in Alex .....again
Zulu................the ultimate chanting
Man for all seasons ...................epic historic

and if I am allowed another ......1066

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Ice cold in Alex .....again
Zulu................the ultimate chanting
Man for all seasons ...................epic historic

and if I am allowed another ......1066

I have yet to meet anyone who knows what the Zulu's are chanting in that film - I will find out eventually though. And maidens do not wear black underwear whilst dancing either (i believe the film crew had to go and buy several hundred pairs of knickers as the dancers all turned up traditionally (un)dressed!)

Anyway, my 3 are:

Life of Brian
Zulu
Italian Job

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I'd definitely have Colonel Blimp in there. And probably Black Narcissus. And if we're to make it a Powell and Pressburger triple-bill, which is entirely feasible, in spite of knocking out the earlier Hitchcock fare and the usually telling Mike Leigh canon and the dark comicality of the Ealing Classics, then it'd have to be A Matter of Life and Death. The expertly intertwined phantasmagorical and emotionally rich work of P&P just about win it over. Legends.

Might have I Know Where I'm Going over Black Narcissus but as you say P&P are the Mutts Nuts when it comes to British Films.

A non P&P selection:

The Duellists - Ridley Scotts debut - I don't think there has ever been a more beautiful looking film about pre-arranged violence
The Third Man - Carol Reed, Graham Greene and Orson Welles get together - you would be surprised if it wasn't a Classic film
Get Carter- You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow.....

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Shadowlands
A Matter of Life and Death
The Kings Speech

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Honourable mentions to, Barry Lyndon, The Bridge on the River Kwai, The Dambusters, Gladiator, Strangers on a Train, Ice Cold in Alex.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Local Hero
Genevieve
Blow-Up

PS - is A Bridge too Far a British film?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think Philomena will be joining this list soon.

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
I'd like to replace Genevieve with Spring and Port Wine.
A fine choice, and filmed in God's country.

On a similar note, i'm surprised that there are no shouts for Mona Lisa, London to Brighton or Brighton Rock, any of which are better than "Lock Stock" imo.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Land And Freedom

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover

The Cruel Sea

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here