Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your top 5 footballers in your lifetime

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I can't remember if I answered this originally. Here goes:

1. Cruyff - the Master, an incredible player who changed football forever (with his coach Michels), my footballing hero as a kid.
2. Pele
3. Messi
4. Maradona
5. Franco Beresi - the greatest defender in history, the greatest ball playing defender in history, a genius, the fulcrum of many truly great AC Milan teams.

boik

I can't remember if I answered this originally. Here goes:

1. Cruyff - the Master, an incredible player who changed football forever (with his coach Michels), my footballing hero as a kid.
2. Pele
3. Messi
4. Maradona
5. Franco Beresi - the greatest defender in history, the greatest ball playing defender in history, a genius, the fulcrum of many truly great AC Milan teams.

Anyone who doesn't include Cruyff is either too young, or doesn't understand football. Pele was always surrounded by world-class players. Cruyff helped to turn normal players into a world class team - at Ajax, Holland and then an underachieving Barcelona. Then as a coach he helped establish the current Barca dynasty.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Messi
Ronaldo
Cristiano Ronaldo
Ronaldinho
Bergkamp

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Anyone who doesn't include Cruyff is either too young, or doesn't understand football. Pele was always surrounded by world-class players. Cruyff helped to turn normal players into a world class team - at Ajax, Holland and then an underachieving Barcelona. Then as a coach he helped establish the current Barca dynasty.

Or as for myself, are old enough to have seen five better players before Cruyff hit the scene

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

Be honest. Was he better than Super Rodney Thomas?

I doubt it.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Or as for myself, are old enough to have seen five better players before Cruyff hit the scene

One player I've noticed has only had one mention (BensGrandad) is Jimmy Greaves. The star man of that 66 world cup team who missed the final due to injury. I'm far too young to have seen him but looking at his goal scoring stats, it's unbelievable.

What was he like?

edit: literarily just had his 2nd mention on the post above

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Only included those I have seen live

George Best Way above any player
Peter Ward Win or lose never a game went by without him doing something you talk about
Dennis Law Maybe because I was young and impressionable but outstanding in first top flight game I saw
Hazzard Never seen anybody dominate a game like he did at Amex
Zaha Sorry but one of very few who can turn a game,Doesnt do enough would for a top side but anyone else would insure they finish 5/6 places higher.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Only included those I have seen live

George Best Way above any player
Peter Ward Win or lose never a game went by without him doing something you talk about
Dennis Law Maybe because I was young and impressionable but outstanding in first top flight game I saw
Hazzard Never seen anybody dominate a game like he did at Amex
Zaha Sorry but one of very few who can turn a game,Doesnt do enough would for a top side but anyone else would insure they finish 5/6 places higher.

Mods. We've just had a perfectly good thread ruined. I'm not one for calling out bans but this is despicable.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
One player I've noticed has only had one mention (BensGrandad) is Jimmy Greaves. The star man of that 66 world cup team who missed the final due to injury. I'm far too young to have seen him but looking at his goal scoring stats, it's unbelievable.

What was he like?

edit: literarily just had his 2nd mention on the post above

He was a great player and had a wonderful goal scoring partnership with Alan Gilzene for many seasons at Spurs

boik

Messi
Ronaldo
Cristiano Ronaldo
Ronaldinho
Bergkamp

I know its all about personal opinions, but you must have very strong personal reasons for having Bergkamp instead of Cruyff.

Cruyff won 3 consecutive European Cups, took Holland to 2 World Cup finals (or would have done if he wasn't threatened with kidnap in Argentina). He then helped win Barcas first league title for 14 years. As a manager he lead Barca to 4 consecutive league titles, European Cup, Cup winners Cup.

Bergkamp won the cup winners with Ajax in 87. His manager? Johann Cruyff.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I know its all about personal opinions, but you must have very strong personal reasons for having Bergkamp instead of Cruyff.

Cruyff won 3 consecutive European Cups, took Holland to 2 World Cup finals (or would have done if he wasn't threatened with kidnap in Argentina). He then helped win Barcas first league title for 14 years. As a manager he lead Barca to 4 consecutive league titles, European Cup, Cup winners Cup.

I've never seen anyone else score the sort of goals Bergkamp scored. His first touch was out of this world. His imagination with his first touch was something i've never seen from anyone else too. He was technically unbelievable. IF anyone deserved the title 'Wizard' it was Bergkamp

Show me 2 better goals when it comes to first touch:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Messi
Iniesta
Xavi
Messi and Iniesta together
Iniesta and Xavi together

And, on a Brighton tip

Garry Nelson
Vicente
Bruno
Nobby Horton
Kishishev

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Messi, Iniesta, Xavi and Guardiola's idol, their inspiration, their guru - Johann Cruyff.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
In no particular order.

Zidane
C.Ronaldo
Iniesta
Scholes
Messi

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

Going on the list he's given I'd suggest it's age. The question is top 5 footballers of your lifetime. If he wasn't alive when Cruyff was playing he can't include him.

For me it's probably:

Maradona
Messi
Ronaldo
Ronaldo
Ronaldinho.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here