Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your thoughts if Glenn Hoddle got the Albion job

Thoughts if Hoddle got the Albion job?

• Total voters

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I couldn't understand how he lost his job as England manager, anyway that's another story, I'd be happy to have him manage us.

He said something very very stupid that he apologised for and admitted he should have kept to himself. To be honest there a number of religious people in all sort of positions who have learnt to keep their gob shut.

As I said these views are hardly unique. I don't actually blame him, he's not a spiritual leader. I blame whoever put those ideas in his head in the first place. I'm not religious but I'm willing to forgive him for that. Still a prat for saying it though.

In reality Hoddle wasn't sacked for the comments. He was sacked because Tony Blair said he should resign in an interview with Richard and Judy.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Anyone remember the swindon game at the goldstone who hoddle managed at the time. Tore us a new ******** and i believe micky hazard had a field day in the middle.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Need to set a few things straight here re Hoddle. Can only think we have some young posters on here that never saw his teams play!
SEVEN YEARS OUT THE GAME? rubbish. He has been running a football academy in Spain giving British youngsters a 2nd chance in football. So not only will he know of lots of players that have come through his academy, he will also have good knowledge of the Spanish game. Put these together with his media work and he has certainly not been "out of the game"

FOOTBALL DINOSAUR? rubbish. Anyone who saw his teams play would know he plays the game ob the floor and tacticly was miles ahead of his time. Mick macarthy and Tony Pulis were in football last year but they are the football dinosaurs in my
opinion.

Probably 2+2=5 but I wonder if Hoddle's activities / academy has any link with the venues in Albion's pre-season tour............? Even as a coincidence it could fan the flames a bit with the current suspensions unresolved (as far as we know).

You would think that a new manager would ideally like to have input into the pre-season tour especially with a previous liking for using Spanish venues. On the other hand I am probably getting a bit carried with the Hoddle speculation so is complete bollocks and Darren Ferguson will be leading us to the promised land (hope not).

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
On the one hand, he would ensure we play attractive football. However, he appears to be a mentalist. 'Other' for me, although his views on the disabled disgust me.

He's always suffered from being ahead of his time, not his views on the disabled they belong in the last century.

Quite easy to make an opinion on someone from the biographies of ex professionals whose idea of a wind down was six pints and a bag of fish and chips.

His views on this league are worth reading.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...giving-footballs-discarded-kids-new-hope.html

Interestingly I heard similar from a certain Brighton manager at a fans club meeting a long while ago. If he was England manager he would simply build the best team and couldn't give a stuff what league they played in.

This isn't a Hoddle for Brighton love in. Just get annoyed when is described as a dinosaur. Ridiculous.

.. But imagine him overseeing the new academy ?

Last edited:

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Always liked Hoodle as a player and the national manager, yes he made some daft mistakes with stupid comments but I'm sure has matured with all his media work.

A couple of important points, he clearly has the ability to work with good young players which is important with the new Academy coming in the next year or so. Also bringing youngsters into the 1st XI will be really important with the FFP regulations coming in. I know this will be unpopular but we need to get a Palace style Academy up and running ASAP and Hoodle could be the man to oversee this.

If Gus leaves I think Hoodle will be a good alternative.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I do think that with Bloom funding the new training complex (and should we have a vacancy) he will look for a manager or someone very senior in a new management team who has some sort of previous track record for developing young players through an academy / development set up, as well as having a good knowledge of continental footie and being a practitioner of the right playing style. So much of our future will depend on that. It is easy to see how names like Hoddle, Brady, Bergkamp, Junyent and to a lesser extent Sherwood are in our thinking.

It also questions the attributes of some of the other names touted for The Albion job who do not have that sort of background.

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
I spoke about Hoddle being the next Albion manager a couple of weeks ago.Heard him on Talksport and thougt he could definatly do a job. He has his academy, he has connections in the Prem and in spain and has managed at the highest level. He has the ability and the experience to take us to the next level.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
does "I couldn't give a toss" count as 'other' or 'fence'?

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
I'd be pleased. He's a footballing visionary (no laughing at the back please!) who was way ahead of his time at Swindon and Spurs and his '98 England team were the last properly decent England team in my view. Not sure about his spell at Wolves. He's clearly a bit of a tool, but his managerial record is top-notch.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
mmmmm..... Not sure.....

So we swap one manager who cant keep his mouth shut with out spoken views (luis suarez for one), for another who cant keep his mouth shut with out spoken views (controversial belief that the disabled, and others, are being punished for sins in a former life.)

mmmmm..... tuff one.....

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I voted fence as I really don't know what to think. As a coach, I think Hoddle could possibly be ok. But his disgusting remarks about disabled people, put me right off him He started the revolution at Chelsea and did a fairly good job there, But as others have said "that was a long time ago"

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I heard some horror stories about Hoddle from his time as England Manager. This came from someone who worked closely with the first team onthe medical side.

He was said to be tactically streets ahead of his time. From a formation, training and diet preparation perspective, he introduced ideas that were revolutionary. It was said that if you could take Hoddle's tactical mouse with Keegan's motivational ability, you would have perfection.

However he was a bully. His handling of gazza pre France 98 was an attempt to try and stamp hos authority on the team, irrespective of the damage it did to a frail individual.

In training he bullied Owen, calling him a not natural striker.

And Beckham...... He used to make all the team try and chip a ball from the d of the penalty box into a bin on the goal line. He started with DB who hit the rim of the bin. He was then shouted at to do it again and again and again. His confidence as shot. Then Hoddle mocked him in front of the team. One of the senior players tried to defend DB by asking Hoddle if he could 'show us how its done then'. Hoddle did try and did it first time before turning round and smugly saying 'when you're blessed with skill, you never lose it'

That is why the FA gave him enough rope to hang himself. The players were unhappy with him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here