Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your thoughts if Glenn Hoddle got the Albion job

Thoughts if Hoddle got the Albion job?

• Total voters

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
7 years since he has managed a team. I genuinely can't believe Tony Bloom would appoint him. However, unlike some on here, if Tony does decide to appoint him I will get behind him (rather than slagging him off at every opportunity).

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Dinosaur???Utter rubbish...Hoddle was light years ahead of his time, people are employing tactics now that he bought to the game years ago..Clearly you never saw a Hoddle side play football or the man himself for that matter. Twice the player Poyet ever was, the most gifted English player of his generation.

That was then, this is now. The game has moved on. We need someone current, with his finger on the pulse of modern game. Hoddle was a great, but the game has changed.

I'm not against him, any man who gets the job will have support and respect from me, but do I think he is the best candidate? I'd be suprised if he was.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As I posted elsewhere on here a few days ago, it was his team that won Le Tournoi, possibly the last time an England team looked capable of competing with the better teams. 60% win rate as England manager too

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'd be confused. Why would a manager who bombed at Wolves be considered, after spending the past 7 years coaching in a glorified soccer school in Spain.

Nonplussed if he got it.

Last edited:

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Hoddle's skewed belief system is his business and I don't think he would be naive to put himself in a position again that he did when he led to him being removed from the England job.

In terms of managerial credentials, he has been out of the game for several years now and his spells as manager at Tottenham and Wolves were not roaring successes. He does appear to be a big thinker about the game and he wants to play the game attractively, so there would be a possible fit with Brighton's style of play. But I think a younger, hungrier coach with similar football philosophies is what Brighton need.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
That was then, this is now. The game has moved on. We need someone current, with his finger on the pulse of modern game. Hoddle was a great, but the game has changed.

I'm not against him, any man who gets the job will have support and respect from me, but do I think he is the best candidate? I'd be suprised if he was.

The game has not changed at all, only people like Poyet try to convince you it has....Let's be totally honest, if this time last year we appointed Steve Bruce you would have said the same about him...Football is about players and tactics, get the two right and any formation still works. You just got to be better at yours than the opposition is at their's. You can still only field 11 players you know and the goals are still the same size.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
You have to ask why no one has touched him since Wolves? Not exactly known for his quality man management skills either is he.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You have to ask why no one has touched him since Wolves? Not exactly known for his quality man management skills either is he.

He lost 15 of 76 games with Wolves, doesn't sound that shabby to me :shrug:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
The game has not changed at all, only people like Poyet try to convince you it has....Let's be totally honest, if this time last year we appointed Steve Bruce you would have said the same about him...Football is about players and tactics, get the two right and any formation still works. You just got to be better at yours than the opposition is at their's. You can still only field 11 players you know and the goals are still the same size.

I think if you compare the playing style of the Premier League teams 7 years ago and now, you will find it has changed quite a lot. Very few teams play the direct style now and the majority play a similar system to Poyet (I don't think that would have been the case 7 years ago).

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
I voted for other because I would be astounded if we could lure a world class player/coach/manager to return to club football, to us. I have said for the last 2 years he is the man above all other that I want to manage Brighton & Hove Albion. Please let it happen

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

Slightly contradictory this, football is football I agree but it's the tactics that move on, look how top teams over the years have dominated until they get worked out.

Barca are a good example, ran rings round everyone but their tactics have now been nullified to a degree, either by a Chelsea style defensive set up or even better, Bayern's tactics.

Being away for so long you have to wonder if Hoddles philosophy is now out dated.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I think if you compare the playing style of the Premier League teams 7 years ago and now, you will find it has changed quite a lot. Very few teams play the direct style now and the majority play a similar system to Poyet (I don't think that would have been the case 7 years ago).

But the man who has won it more times than anyone else, plays a pretty direct, two up front sort of game.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
But the man who has won it more times than anyone else, plays a pretty direct, two up front sort of game.

Easier with the players at his disposal and who Man Utd can attract.

Found wanting a bit though at Europes top table. I still do not hink 2 CL's is good enough considering some of the teams/players he had.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Dinosaur???Utter rubbish...Hoddle was light years ahead of his time, people are employing tactics now that he bought to the game years ago..Clearly you never saw a Hoddle side play football or the man himself for that matter. Twice the player Poyet ever was, the most gifted English player of his generation.

But mental, you forgot to mention mental.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton

Not strictly true. Manchester United have not really played an orthodox 4-4-2 for a number of years and in recent years, they have in fact switched their formation a lot. This past season, they have tended to play one central striker and 2 wide forwards in possession and then play five in midfield when they haven't got the ball. At other times, they have played a narrower midfield and played in a diamond, but invariably they have not played the old-fashioned two-up front, lump it up to the big man type of game at all.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
At other times, they have played a narrower midfield and played in a diamond, but invariably they have not played the old-fashioned two-up front, lump it up to the big man type of game at all.

Doesn't Hoddle play the diamond? Certainly not a lump it up to the big man manager as far as I remember

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here