Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Your Test Team from the last 20 years

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
If the criteria is 'best XI when all are fit' then Jofra Archer simply has to play (despite the fact that the poor lad never IS).

Alastair Cook
Andrew Strauss
Kevin Pietersen
Joe Root
Ben Stokes
Matt Prior (wk)
Andrew Flintoff
Graeme Swann
Jofra Archer
Stuart Broad
Jimmy Anderson

Rock solid opening pair - you'd bank on at least one of them still being in, well into the afternoon on day one, in most cases. Root absolute class. KP, Stokes and Flintoff gives you masses of firepower, and Freddie as low as 7 gives a very deep, strong batting line up.

Jimmy, Broad, Jofra and Swann are bowling a lot of sides out, even without the golden arms of Flintoff and Stokes. Root and KP as back up spinners.

Shame not to find room for Ian Bell who was better than all of the above on his best days.
Yes, I ignored Jofra, Jones and Mark Wood who are/were all, potentially, amongst our greatest fast bowlers - if only bowling very fast didn't mess you up.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
If the criteria is 'best XI when all are fit' then Jofra Archer simply has to play (despite the fact that the poor lad never IS).

Alastair Cook
Andrew Strauss
Kevin Pietersen
Joe Root
Ben Stokes
Matt Prior (wk)
Andrew Flintoff
Graeme Swann
Jofra Archer
Stuart Broad
Jimmy Anderson

Rock solid opening pair - you'd bank on at least one of them still being in, well into the afternoon on day one, in most cases. Root absolute class. KP, Stokes and Flintoff gives you masses of firepower, and Freddie as low as 7 gives a very deep, strong batting line up.

Jimmy, Broad, Jofra and Swann are bowling a lot of sides out, even without the golden arms of Flintoff and Stokes. Root and KP as back up spinners.

Shame not to find room for Ian Bell who was better than all of the above on his best days.
I considered picking Bell just for his fielding at short leg.
But with the best will in the world I'm not sure I can get behind his best day or innings being better than Pietersen, Root or Stokes'.
I think having Flintoff and Stokes either weakens the batting for a bowler you won't get much use out of, or strengthens the batting at the cost of better bowling options.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I considered picking Bell just for his fielding at short leg.
But with the best will in the world I'm not sure I can get behind his best day or innings being better than Pietersen, Root or Stokes'.
I think having Flintoff and Stokes either weakens the batting for a bowler you won't get much use out of, or strengthens the batting at the cost of better bowling options.
Better to watch, then - rather than plain 'better'. I'll take a perfectly executed Bell drive, all along the turf to the cover boundary, over a huge Stokes slog into the Hollies or some poxy reverse helicopter nonsense, every single time.

I take your point over the two all rounders, but it is worth remembering that peak Flintoff was well worth his spot as a front line bowler anyway. Consider his batting a handy bonus (and the opposite is true of Stokes).

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I couldn’t pick Pieterson on principle.
Yes I’m the same! Can’t stand that bloke and just couldn’t enjoy him batting.

See some mentions for Thorpe, I loved him as a player but would struggle to put him in an England team of the last 20 years! He didn’t play in the 2005 Ashes did he?

By the way, does anyone know what has happened to Thorpe? Had those reports of a serious illness a year ago and then nothing I’m aware of?

Last edited:

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Tres
Cook
Trott
Root
KP
Stokes
Prior
Flintoff
Swann
Broad
Anderson

Peak flintoff was an absolutely top class bowler. Sadly he was not there for long. Possibly between 2003 and 2005. Broad and Anderson have to play. Swann is first name down in the attack as the spinner.

Batsman was harder - harsh on strauss but Tres was something else at times. Him and Cook would be a lovely pair. trott was fantastic at three to join it all together before we get to root, Kp (bell end but great batsman) and stokes. Prior at 7 before Fred at 8. What a tail with Fred 8 and Swann 9. Love it.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Tres
Cook
Trott
Root
KP
Stokes
Prior
Flintoff
Swann
Broad
Anderson

Peak flintoff was an absolutely top class bowler. Sadly he was not there for long. Possibly between 2003 and 2005. Broad and Anderson have to play. Swann is first name down in the attack as the spinner.

Batsman was harder - harsh on strauss but Tres was something else at times. Him and Cook would be a lovely pair. trott was fantastic at three to join it all together before we get to root, Kp (bell end but great batsman) and stokes. Prior at 7 before Fred at 8. What a tail with Fred 8 and Swann 9. Love it.
That would be my team as well. Fred coming in when they 6 down is likely to demoralise most opponents

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
And for the convicts .....

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Labuschagne
Smith
Clarke
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Johnson
McGrath

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Better to watch, then - rather than plain 'better'. I'll take a perfectly executed Bell drive, all along the turf to the cover boundary, over a huge Stokes slog into the Hollies or some poxy reverse helicopter nonsense, every single time.

I take your point over the two all rounders, but it is worth remembering that peak Flintoff was well worth his spot as a front line bowler anyway. Consider his batting a handy bonus (and the opposite is true of Stokes).
Yeah Flintoff would get in purely as a bowler when at his best

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Cook
Tresco
Pieterson
Root
Stokes
Flintoff
Prior
Swann
Jones
Archer
Anderson

Admittedly, if we are talking peak, that's too many fast bowlers. But that's class and exciting..
At his best there was nobody quite like Jones.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I take the point that archer could be top class but that lasted for about 3 games. His career average is in the 30s. Three brilliant games vs Aussies in 2019 but that is not enough for team of last 25 years surely?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

If I come across like I'm overthinking this, it's very much the sort of thing I occupy my mind with while sat on the train.
I went for peak Harmison over peak Flintoff, partly because he often seemed to take more wickets than his bowling seemed to deserve, while Flintoff always seemed to take fewer, and partly due to a massive pro-Durham bias. Although to be fair, Harmison at his best was ranked the no.1 bowler in the world.
I would pick Archer to satisfy my adjacent massive pro-Sussex bias, but remarkably he manages to be injured even more often than Wood so I struggle to justify picking him. I satisfied myself by going for Prior over any of the arguably better keepers.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Alastair Cook
Andrew Strauss
Micheal Vaughan (c)
Joe Root
Kevin Pietersen
Ben Stokes
Matt Prior (wk)
Graeme Swann
Stuart Broad
Jofra Archer
Jimmy Anderson

Few tricky decisions!

Bell, Trott and Trescothick all unlucky to miss out at the top of the order. Side has 5 former / current captains and very successful ones, but Vaughan’s understanding was the best and his batting record is fine. Interestingly 3 of my top order also bowl a bit of useful off-break, and not by design!

Middle order - Stokes in as an allrounder over Flintoff. On form Flintoff the better bowler but Stokes balances this side better. Stokes surprisingly has the better bowling average. Both match winners but a prime Stokes is hard to leave out. Recent memory bias perhaps. Big fan of Paul Collingwood, but he’s not getting in over Stokes, Root or KP.

Bowlers - Anderson and Broad pick themselves. On form Broad bowls the most devastating spells and Anderson is the most consistent bowler England have. The attack needs balancing with an outright quick bowler. Archer despite playing a small sample size got in over Wood, who’s also missed an awful lot of games. Logic is a fully fit Archer is the better pick. Robinson, Gough, Hoggard, Harmison and Woakes all deserve a mention. Swann picks himself. Easily the best spinner I’ve seen for England. Ali (the bowler) is underrated though.

Last edited:

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Cook
Strauss
Trott
Root
Pietersen
Thorpe
Prior
Stokes