Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Your Test Team from the last 20 years

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Comparisons between the teams of 2005 and today got me thinking - who would be in the team if players across these eras were available?

My team:

Alastair Cook (c)
Marcus Trescothick
Ian Bell
Joe Root
Kevin Pietersen
Freddie Flintoff
Ben Stokes
Jos Buttler (wk)
Graeme Swann
Stuart Broad
Jimmy Anderson

So by my reckoning, four of the current side get in.

I argued with myself about the openers, but eventually plumped for Trescothick over Strauss. The others, in my mind, virtually picked themselves.

Watching us bat, with that line up, would be incredible!

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Comparisons between the teams of 2005 and today got me thinking - who would be in the team if players across these eras were available?

My team:

Alastair Cook (c)
Marcus Trescothick
Ian Bell
Joe Root
Kevin Pietersen
Freddie Flintoff
Ben Stokes
Jos Buttler (wk)
Graeme Swann
Stuart Broad
Jimmy Anderson

I argued with myself about the openers, but eventually plumped for Trescothick over Strauss. The others, in my mind, virtually picked themselves.

Trott for Bell and Prior for Butler. Butler didn't do anything of note and Prior averaged 40. Trott a better player at 3.

Captain - Stokes

Order change -
Stokes
Prior
Flintoff

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Cook
Strauß
Pieterson
Root
Stokes
Prior
Flintoff
Swann
Jones
Broad
Anderson

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Defintely NOT Buttler.

Vaughan at 3

Swap Stoke and Flintoff in the batting order

Prior or Foakes to keep wicket.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Alastair Cook
Andrew Strauss (c)
Ian Bell
Joe Root
Graham Thorpe
Ben Stokes
Andrew Flintoff
James Foster (w/k)
Graeme Swann
Chris Tremlett
Jimmy Anderson

On the assumption that the above are fit and at their best. Might play Broad over Flintoff in certain situations.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I knew Buttler would be controversial, and considered Prior. But I love the way Buttler plays, so he got the nod.

Thorpe for Bell I could countenance (I forgot Thorpe was still playing in 2003), but Trott? No chance in my eyes. He never filled me with confidence and I never warmed to him.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

My team:

Alastair Cook (c)
Marcus Trescothick
Ian Bell
Joe Root
Kevin Pietersen
Freddie Flintoff
Ben Stokes
Jos Buttler (wk)
Graeme Swann
Stuart Broad
Jimmy Anderson

Buttler? I think you've still got the Glasto affects

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Trescothick
Strauss*
Trott
Root
Collingwood
Stokes (c)
Prior (w)
Swann
Wood
Harmison
Anderson

I'm assuming we're at home.
* Edit: I decided to go for Strauss over Vaughan since he could field in the slips.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Cook
Strauss
Trott
Root
Pietersen
Stokes
Prior
Swann
Broad
Anderson
Harmison

Seriously tough on Bairstow, Bresnan and Trescothick. Flintoff had great moments but not as consistently as Stokes. Simon Jones and Jofra would be in there on potential rather than results.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Alastair Cook
Marcus Trescothick
Michael Vaughan
Joe Root
Kevin Pietersen
Ben Stokes
Matt Prior (wk)
Andrew Flintoff
Graeme Swann
Stuart Broad
Jimmy Anderson

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
For me, James Foster is the best English keeper of the last 40 years. Has to be in the team. If we consider keepers as players who take half chances, stumpings and run outs as opposed to being worth an extra ten with the bat.

I'd rather have a keeper who averages 25 and takes that half chance off Ponting when he is on 6, as opposed to one who averages 35 and drops him.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I knew Buttler would be controversial, and considered Prior. But I love the way Buttler plays, so he got the nod.
I'm probably guilty of unfair expectations, but I didn't think Buttler played his natural game often enough in tests.
Most of the time he seemed to nudge his way to about 30 and then get out.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If the criteria is 'best XI when all are fit' then Jofra Archer simply has to play (despite the fact that the poor lad never IS).

Alastair Cook
Andrew Strauss
Kevin Pietersen
Joe Root
Ben Stokes
Matt Prior (wk)
Andrew Flintoff
Graeme Swann
Jofra Archer
Stuart Broad
Jimmy Anderson

Rock solid opening pair - you'd bank on at least one of them still being in, well into the afternoon on day one, in most cases. Root absolute class. KP, Stokes and Flintoff gives you masses of firepower, and Freddie as low as 7 gives a very deep, strong batting line up.

Jimmy, Broad, Jofra and Swann are bowling a lot of sides out, even without the golden arms of Flintoff and Stokes. Root and KP as back up spinners.

Shame not to find room for Ian Bell who was better than all of the above on his best days.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
If the criteria is 'best XI when all are fit' then Jofra Archer simply has to play (despite the fact that the poor lad never IS).

Alastair Cook
Andrew Strauss
Kevin Pietersen
Joe Root
Ben Stokes
Matt Prior (wk)
Andrew Flintoff
Graeme Swann
Jofra Archer
Stuart Broad
Jimmy Anderson

Rock solid opening pair - you'd bank on at least one of them still being in, well into the afternoon on day one, in most cases. Root absolute class. KP, Stokes and Flintoff gives you masses of firepower, and Freddie as low as 7 gives a very deep, strong batting line up.

Jimmy, Broad, Jofra and Swann are bowling a lot of sides out, even without the golden arms of Flintoff and Stokes. Root and KP as back up spinners.

Shame not to find room for Ian Bell who was better than all of the above on his best days.
Similarly Simon Jones bowled at almost superhuman levels for the very short time he was at peak fitness

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here