Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Your Test Team from the last 20 years

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Yes I’m the same! Can’t stand that bloke and just couldn’t enjoy him batting.

See some mentions for Thorpe, I loved him as a player but would struggle to put him in an England team of the last 20 years! He didn’t play in the 2005 Ashes did he?

By the way, does anyone know what has happened to Thorpe? Had those reports of a serious illness a year ago and then nothing I’m aware of?
Thorpe retired immediately before the 2005 Ashes, after Pietersen was preferred in the squad for Lords.
With hindsight, we should have picked Thorpe over Bell (notwithstanding his fielding at short leg), but Bell averaged 297 in tests going into that series so it was probably a fair call.
Anyway, Thorpe was great. In fact, of players to have played a significant number of innings in the last 20 years, he has the 2nd highest average after Harry Brook:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Thorpe retired immediately before the 2005 Ashes, after Pietersen was preferred in the squad for Lords.
With hindsight, we should have picked Thorpe over Bell (notwithstanding his fielding at short leg), but Bell averaged 297 in tests going into that series so it was probably a fair call.
Anyway, Thorpe was great. In fact, of players to have played a significant number of innings in the last 20 years, he has the 2nd highest average after Harry Brook:
Wow, I genuinely thought he stopped playing for England earlier than that.

He was a quality player wasn’t he?! I love the story that he was right handed but learnt to bat left handed to make it harder for his brother to bowl at him. I remember trying to do the same when I heard about that without the same level of success!

Do you know how he is health wise now?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Wow, I genuinely thought he stopped playing for England earlier than that.

He was a quality player wasn’t he?! I love the story that he was right handed but learnt to bat left handed to make it harder for his brother to bowl at him. I remember trying to do the same when I heard about that without the same level of success!

Do you know how he is health wise now?
No, there doesn't seem to have been a public update since he went to hospital last year.

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
Cook
Vaughan
Strauss
Root
Collingwood
Flintoff
Stokes
Jones w/k
Sidebottom
Broad
Anderson

I'd play Swann on a turning wicket but who for, I dont know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here