Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your strange habit(s)

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Not in the slightest fascinating, but i count too often the number syllables in a sentence i say, hoping most of all they'll amount to 10 or its multiples and ideally rarely 6 and its devilish mathematical descendants. I don't mind 9s so much, but they're not as clean and correct as a neat 10. I count them with either my jaw or wobbleable upper torso muscles, the left side always going first. And also i try my hardest when walking, but most when running, to trot to the left hand side of those hatches in the pavement used for gas or telephonic repair. I began to grow a tad nervous about them almost 10 years ago, convinced i was to fall through one of them at one point, and then deciding that the angle in which i avoid them is a statement to the heavens in some way of which political side i am on. Running to the right of them makes me feel guilty and i'd quite like life's overseer to know that i didn't do it on purpose and therefore hate the poor and only think of myself.

miffy6

Mar 7, 2009
I have a strange number related OCD, for example if i glance over at a device with the time on (Clock, DVD Player, Oven etc.) and it's the 17th, 33rd or 47th minute of any hour then i can't look away until the minute has passed or i believe something bad will happen, this happens at the Amex from time to time on the big screen, i'm literally sitting there staring at the time until the minute has moved on. Other than that i'm really rather normal :mad:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I like to lie in a freezing bath in the dark with the shower on cold spraying me and pretend that I'm on a U Boat.

That's sinking.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
I tap my fingers from pinkie to thumb and back whilst repeatedly counting 1,2,5,6,9,10,9,6,5,2,1,2,5,6,9,10,9,6,5,2,1 in my head. Usually to music and I have to finish on either a one or a ten. I also do this whilst grinding my teeth side to side instead of tapping. And as a passenger in a car I line up dirt marks on the windscreen with people on the pavement, moving my head to get them in my sights and silently shoot them. I have no idea why! I'm pretty certain I'm not the killing type.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I tap my fingers from pinkie to thumb and back whilst repeatedly counting 1,2,5,6,9,10,9,6,5,2,1,2,5,6,9,10,9,6,5,2,1 in my head. Usually to music and I have to finish on either a one or a ten. I also do this whilst grinding my teeth side to side instead of tapping. And as a passenger in a car I line up dirt marks on the windscreen with people on the pavement, moving my head to get them in my sights and silently shoot them. I have no idea why! I'm pretty certain I'm not the killing type.

Anywaaaay..moving on...

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I also count steps when attacking them. I turn repetitive sounds into songs/rhymes. I tap my fingers of one hand in quantities of three, starting from the pinky and have to complete the set until I end with the thumb. There's probably a lot more, but I can't think of them.

This, except from I count them in fives. I also count my steps when I'm tired on a long run, especially when pushing myself.

If it's raining whilst I'm a passenger in a car, I blink every time the windshield wipers line up with a lamp post. :shrug:

Guilty of this too. Glad I'm not the only one!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Don't stand still it will break. The trick is to keep moving and keep the foot on the phone with a light touch. Taken me a while but I have marred it now. Don't stand still.

Long cord on one phone at home and hated answering the kitchen phone on the wall

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I can't help but count steps.

When I'm driving I count between lampposts - the speed limit is just about 4 lampposts.

When people talk to me, I re say their last sentence in my head, counting the letters on the back of my front 4 teeth with my tongue. I have to finish at the bottom left. If not , I keep doing it from different starting positions until I finish there.

I think I need some help:nono::nono:

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Not in the slightest fascinating, but i count too often the number syllables in a sentence i say, hoping most of all they'll amount to 10 or its multiples and ideally rarely 6 and its devilish mathematical descendants. I don't mind 9s so much, but they're not as clean and correct as a neat 10. I count them with either my jaw or wobbleable upper torso muscles, the left side always going first. And also i try my hardest when walking, but most when running, to trot to the left hand side of those hatches in the pavement used for gas or telephonic repair. I began to grow a tad nervous about them almost 10 years ago, convinced i was to fall through one of them at one point, and then deciding that the angle in which i avoid them is a statement to the heavens in some way of which political side i am on. Running to the right of them makes me feel guilty and i'd quite like life's overseer to know that i didn't do it on purpose and therefore hate the poor and only think of myself.

Hence the term 'looney-left'.

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Whenever I'm watching the Albion. At the start of the second half I have to say, "We play better in this direction" whichever direction it is.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
When I was very young, I used to eat coal, barriers used to be put up in front of the coal cupboard in the kitchen to stop me getting in, but I always managed to.
My mum told me this, I don't remember doing it and don't know when I stopped.
That and getting my films/Oscar winners mixed up.
I have been known to burst into playing air sax on the odd occasion and I can't leave the house if there is a fly buzzing around, until I have either killed it or let it out, filthy things.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I can't help but count steps.

When I'm driving I count between lampposts - the speed limit is just about 4 lampposts.

When people talk to me, I re say their last sentence in my head, counting the letters on the back of my front 4 teeth with my tongue. I have to finish at the bottom left. If not , I keep doing it from different starting positions until I finish there.

I think I need some help:nono::nono:

Wtf!?

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Sit in a bath then run it, so at the start I'm sitting in an empty tub. It means you can make the bath really hot, without the awkward '**** this is really hot' stage of getting in.

Other time I'll have a shower with the bath plug in, and shower for 10 minute while the bath runs then have my bath as usual.

Good idea...never thought of that. Two for the price of one! ...... Roll on Christmas :lolol:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Dont take this the wrong way but i hope you get stopped for speeding one day.

Copper..."so how fast do you think you were going sir"

spongy..."about 3 or 4 lampposts officer"

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Dont take this the wrong way but i hope you get stopped for speeding one day.

Copper..."so how fast do you think you were going sir"

spongy..."about 3 or 4 lampposts officer"

That's only the half of it. I also find myself counting the white lines in the centre of the road whilst driving, I HAVE to get to 100 before the style of the lines changes otherwise I have to start again:down:

Driving on a bypass or motorway is bliss for me. In town it's so much of a nightmare that I've had to revise my total down to 30 otherwise I'm in hell:nono::nono:

I think I'm going to have a new one that was mentioned above which was blinking when the wipers match with a lamppost:nono::nono:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
That's only the half of it. I also find myself counting the white lines in the centre of the road whilst driving, I HAVE to get to 100 before the style of the lines changes otherwise I have to start again:down:

Driving on a bypass or motorway is bliss for me. In town it's so much of a nightmare that I've had to revise my total down to 30 otherwise I'm in hell:nono::nono:

I think I'm going to have a new one that was mentioned above which was blinking when the wipers match with a lamppost:nono::nono:

OCD-tastic spongy. I used to have all these bedtime routines around the number 3 - the minute number on my alarm clock had to be 3 (or multiple of - 6,9,12 etc) before I closed my eyes and I'd have to check it 3 times, would have to check that the bedroom door was closed 3 times etc. then one day I thought 'f**k it' and stopped the whole thing and now I'm free, free, free! :wink: I suggest you do the same, same, same.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
OCD-tastic spongy. I used to have all these bedtime routines around the number 3 - the minute number on my alarm clock had to be 3 (or multiple of - 6,9,12 etc) before I closed my eyes and I'd have to check it 3 times, would have to check that the bedroom door was closed 3 times etc. then one day I thought 'f**k it' and stopped the whole thing and now I'm free, free, free! :wink: I suggest you do the same, same, same.

Perhaps there is a touch of undiagnosed OCD, to be fair I don't really do the white lines or counting between lampposts anymore. But I still count steps and count letters on the back of my teeth.

I work in engineering so I spend all day counting, measuring, tolerancing etc so either I'm a perfect fit for engineering or this type of repetitive work has screwed me up:shrug::shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here