Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your reaction to Poyet....

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'd have a big reminiscent smirk on my face for being one of the key features of going from minnow to championship barracuda. It'd be a sorry smile too that he left and he didn't choose to or have no option but to not finish the job. The lengthy blink that followed would be one of heartfelt thanks and an honest best of luck. Magical times all-in.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I'd give him a clap, he started the on-pitch revolution, if you like which saw us move up to the Premier League - where we shall be when we meet Gus again.

Anyone who boos just has an incredibly short memory and is pretty ungrateful - just a shame it ended like this, but then this is Brighton and Hove Albion, is ANYTHING simple with us ??

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I would like to think a polite clap. However, I will wait to see what emerges over the next few days and how he conducts himself.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I'd have a big reminiscent smirk on my face for being one of the key features of going from minnow to championship barracuda. It'd be a sorry smile too that he left and he didn't choose to or have no option but to not finish the job. The lengthy blink that followed would be one of heartfelt thanks and an honest best of luck. Magical times all-in.

Can't argue with that MB, I would have loved to see him finish the job.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
there is no loyalty in football apart from the fans. He did a good job until he turned into a bellend

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Indifference. He is/was/always has been, an employee of the club and was never going to be here forever. The blue in his blood is not the shade of Brighton and Hove Albion. Most returning managers warrant applause but the manner of his forthcoming departure mean I'll neither boo or clap. To applaud him would merely massage his inflated ego and to boo may galvanise him into motivating his team even more. The thing that would upset him the most would be if, when they announce his name, nothing happens!

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
From where I'm sitting its many of our fans that our turning into bellends, fickle ones at that, Gus hasn't really done a lot wrong (that we know of)

From what you have read and heard, would you say that Poyet is a victim? I wouldn't but I do not blame him for wanting a job at a bigger club. It is just a job to him. A lot of fans think that managers are as emotionally involved in the club but they a plainly not.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I think you'll find that Julian Speroni deflecting Ashley Barnes' goalbound shot onto the bar and then the left back clearing his header off the line, both at 0-0, might also have had something to do with that.

That is known in football as defending. Part of the game and carried out professionally. It wasn't bad luck on our part. It would have made no difference to the outcome. Gus wouldn't have changed anything. Bolassie would still have created problems, Zaha would still have run free, Palace would still have shown more desire and Palace would still have won.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Although we cant complain at what he achieved here, I do wonder if he is actually as good as the credit he gets.

I find it hard to believe that with the money he was given and the feel good factor of moving in to the Amex, that he's done anymore than could be expected.

Yes, he attracted some very good players here, but arguably, he has been tactically outsmarted by quite a few managers, with a smaller budget than us.

Don't get me wrong, he got us playing decent football, with some great players and there were some great times, but I honestly believe that any manager at this level would have achieved the same under the same circumstances.

So with that and his comments after the palace game in mind, I won't boo him but I certainly won't clap him either, and if by some miracle he's still in charge next season, he needs to do a lot before this saga is behind him.

Thats pretty close to how I feel.
I have felt for a long time that it was the quality of the squad that got us to where we were rather than the quality of the manager. I believe he comes into the category of ' very good player in his time but doesn't quite make it as a manager at the highest level '
The instinct and skill that good players enjoy doesn't necessarily mean that they have the ability to manage a large squad of professional footballers. You need to be a man-manager. You need to be able to think outside the box and react quickly and decisively under pressure. You need to be flexible and prepared to change. You need to go into every game prepared to put everything on the line to try and win the game. Bold and adventurous wherever possible. Caution is not in the vocabulary.
Above anything else you need to put the Club and the players before yourself. You need to be selfless and give everything to others. Your players need to be disciplined. They should reflect you and the Club.
Fans need to believe that managing their club is the greatest job in the world and they have your full commitment.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
If Gus stays, it would be water under the bridge for a vast majority of fans.

Most of them are so fickle that they hate Gus at the moment and don't really know why - despite idolising him little over a month ago.

Massive generalisation and rather offensive to many fans who spend a lot of time trying to analyse everything BHA.
Following a football club, passionately, for years, is not done so lightly. It is an affair of the heart. You share it with loved ones. You take everything personally. You are protective of your club and want it to do well. You know that there will be more lean times than successful times.
You know the players are in the hands of the manager. He is the focal point. He talks about our club to the press. He gives us hope and inspiration. He guides and shapes our destiny.
In return, we watch his every move. We watch his body language. We discuss his team choices and tactics and the results they achieve. We are judge, jury and executioner. He carries our hopes for the future.
A lot of fans are experienced football watchers. Not just BHA but football all over the world. They see the top managers in action and work out what makes them successful. They then watch their own manager in action and hope to see the same principles put into action.
When they see their own manager out-thought or out-witted they try and analyse why it happened and hope that the manager is doing the same. When it happens again, the seeds of doubt are sown that the manager is not learning.
A lot of BHA fans made up their minds about Gus Poyet some time ago. They didn't idolise him up to recently and then change their minds over recent events. Please give them more credit than that.
Fans do not invest all this time, money and effort just to be ' fickle lemmings ' In love with the manager one minute, then out of love with him and then all embracing again. Its far too simplistic and demeans the majority.
All the fans I know, love the club deeply and expect the manager to show 100% commitment. They spend hours talking about all things BHA. They are mature and intelligent people who want the best for the club. Their criticism is usually constructive and based on pretty sound judgement. Every one of them knew what to expect in the 2nd leg v Palace and expected the manager to make adjustments to match the changes that the opposition manager would make. When they saw absolutly no change to our game plan they were nonplussed and wondered what our manager was thinking about. The general feeling was that he was either misguided or not focussed. Either way, it was the death knell for a lot of fans. There was no coming back from this point. This was the moment when his fallibility was painfully exposed. We were in control of the tie after the first leg. It was in our hands. The manager let it slip through his hands. Our confidence was shattered. If he can cock up our most important game for 20 years how can we place further trust in him?
The majority will not welcome him back. You are clinging to your own hope that he will come back because you have decided that he is the best thing for BHA and no-one else can do better. Thats your choice.
I've watched about 35 games a season since Gus took over and started to analyse him closely about halfway through last season. I've come to the conclusion that he can't take us any further. That he won't mature and advance enough as a manager to make that step up. Its not his fault. Its his nature. He thinks he is the finished article already and yet he is only a novice. He is not prepared to learn at BHA and therefore he needs to go.
We deserve better and I believe in TB to find us a better manager.
Will I clap him if he returns as an opposing manager. No. I will be standing there thinking.." What a waste of a fantastic opportunity. You had tremendous backing in your first full management job and got the team into a challenging position for the biggest game of their lives and blew it. You could have continued with dignity but you allowed the club to be dragged into a messy, protracted and ugly dispute. I'm glad you went when you did. I don't miss you. We have moved on. "

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Polite applause then a resounding chorus of "You should've stayed with a big club". Then cheer for our new manager.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
I don't understand how anybody could possibly even consider booing or not be desperate for him to stay. All he has done he, the league one title, two fantastic years at the Amex, giving Brighton and identity, providing us with some fantastic football, some quality players and a real on field platform to build on. Really? Forget all that in a heartbeat because of some comments he made directly after the semi final loss?

I'm sure we've all said things in the heat of the moment that we shouldn't have. And people suggesting he doesn't 'see Brighton as a premier league club'.....so he lost that match and undone a whole seasons hard work on purpose, did he?

So my answer, would be a standing ovation and singing his name and praises....

Very much this. Good post

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here