Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your reaction to Poyet....

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think he will probably have a hard time being taken seriously as a manager in the English leagues now, but in other countries, who knows.

I don't think so. He has turned around a struggling League 1 club into a championship force. At the very least there'll be interested Championship clubs, at best a lower league premier team, who are taken by his footballing philosophy.

Success is everything for most Chairman, so his ego and at times questionable approach will quickly be forgotten.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Although we cant complain at what he achieved here, I do wonder if he is actually as good as the credit he gets.

I find it hard to believe that with the money he was given and the feel good factor of moving in to the Amex, that he's done anymore than could be expected.

Yes, he attracted some very good players here, but arguably, he has been tactically outsmarted by quite a few managers, with a smaller budget than us.

Don't get me wrong, he got us playing decent football, with some great players and there were some great times, but I honestly believe that any manager at this level would have achieved the same under the same circumstances.

So with that and his comments after the palace game in mind, I won't boo him but I certainly won't clap him either, and if by some miracle he's still in charge next season, he needs to do a lot before this saga is behind him.

EricYoung59

Jul 8, 2012
It wasn't that long ago we were ranking him as 9th longest serving manager in the league, we were all looking forward to the play offs and the future looked very positive. But as in life sxxt happens and what seems a settled situation can change very quickly.

I guess we will never know what happened or caused the rift.

We had some good times with Gus, Albion fans are generous and my guess is he will get a warm polite welcome when and if he returns. Look at the animosity and aggressive stance people were going to take over Hammond returning last year, that never happened - he was treated well by the fans.

In time hopefully Gus will be remembered as a key step towards Albion establishing themselves as a premier club.

As for Harley ..... Well !

mitch

Oct 16, 2003
i'd personally give him a very big clap for where he has taken this club to,its going to be interesting to see how we fair without him.Feel its a shame he did not see through what he started just very bad timing to say what he did in the post match interview when everybody was still very raw with emotions.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Despite this recent nonsense I will still applaud him for the belief he instilled in me. Hard to remember now the first half of the League 1 championship season but if you were at Peterborough or Charlton you should recall it with a mixture of awe and surprise. Yes, we really were that brilliant.

EricYoung59

Jul 8, 2012
Despite this recent nonsense I will still applaud him for the belief he instilled in me. Hard to remember now the first half of the League 1 championship season but if you were at Peterborough or Charlton you should recall it with a mixture of awe and surprise. Yes, we really were that brilliant.

I agree, if you had travelled away to Tranmere in one of R.S final games and seen a lazy and indisciplined display by not only Murray (who got himself sent off) but the whole team you'd have to appreciate how Gus reorganised, built a style of play and confidence from pretty much the same group of players - kept us up that year and promotion the next.

But now is now, we should remember, appreciate, clap and move on.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Who? ;)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'll clap him.

But depending on who he is managing i may allow myself a wry smile.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
treat him the same as any other manager coming here - indifference, I am more interested in getting behind the team on the pitch then giving some fake show of either hostility/adoration to someone paid to come here and take 3 points from us. Great shame things ended as they have but guess that was inevitable, football is a world full of people who despite the badge kissing etc, are only interested in themselves and how much it is worth to them....can't fault GP's ambitions but a massive lack of self awareness and class at times in his words/actions, especially last year, so if some people do chose to boo, I wouldn't fault them for it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It could have been oh so different.

Had he done his best by us, promotion, 10th & 4th, would suggest he has, on the pitch.
If the theatrics had been left lone, or at least kept behind close closed doors.
If Gus had then left for a plum job, even one in this division I'd have welcomed him back with open arms.

The fact that it's all gone sour, has my arms crossed.

One more leaving shot at The Albion may well having me booing, on his return.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I don't think so. He has turned around a struggling League 1 club into a championship force. At the very least there'll be interested Championship clubs, at best a lower league premier team, who are taken by his footballing philosophy.

Success is everything for most Chairman, so his ego and at times questionable approach will quickly be forgotten.

That's as maybe, but part of the scope of being a manager is to be able to conduct yourself in a proper manner and if you are happy with 50% of the management ability then that's fine.
I myself would rather have a manager who is 100%, this shows commitment and makes for a much more viable prospect in the future for another club making an approach.
If I were the chairman of a club I would have noticed with distaste the amount of sniping and derogatory comments throughout the season, especially the latter half and would not want to experience them first hand.
This, along with the lack of ability to chase a game when required and the inability to formulate an alternative response when things are just not happening leaves Gus sorely lacking.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Peterborough played most of that game with 10 men after El Abd got The White Pele sent off.

Were you at that game? We were all over them from the start and a goal up when Boyd was sent off. None of their players/manager at the time used it as an excuse so why are you?

Having said that, I really shouldn't even try arguing with someone who says they have ignored their team's manager for almost two years because he lost one match.

Large applause from me. One of the best managers we've ever had. Just very South American in his personality, which doesn't sit well with most Brits.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
boo....his ego made us lose to our rivals in a play off semi............

I think you'll find that Julian Speroni deflecting Ashley Barnes' goalbound shot onto the bar and then the left back clearing his header off the line, both at 0-0, might also have had something to do with that.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
How could any manager in his right mind tell his players that he might not be here as preparation for the second leg of a play-off semi-final?

How could he try to resign that same day before the game?

Surely any manager trying to make a name for himself would have waited until after the game at least. A positive on his CV instead of a total negative.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here