Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your journey to work and the irritations you encounter

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm a slave to the commute again: it's bearable because I work from home a lot or have client meetings outside of London often. That and the pay increase to compensate. But I do identify with the OP. My top 3 hates are:
1. The tourist family who meander 4 abreast on pavements during rush hour
2. The dawdling walking-reader (iPad, phone etc) usually found walking in the middle of pavement that's too narrow to get round them with a steady stream of angry commuters like me coming the other way!
3. The ticket barrier dawdler who a)hasn't got their ticket ready b) can't find it c) but most of all doesn't stand aside whilst searching for their Oyster card creating a jam the WI would be proud of.

These people should be picked up by the security services and taken to re-education camps Korean-style. They have no awareness and frankly are lucky to get away with only a Paddington bear hard stare.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm a slave to the commute again: it's bearable because I work from home a lot or have client meetings outside of London often. That and the pay increase to compensate. But I do identify with the OP. My top 3 hates are:
1. The tourist family who meander 4 abreast on pavements during rush hour
2. The dawdling walking-reader (iPad, phone etc) usually found walking in the middle of pavement that's too narrow to get round them with a steady stream of angry commuters like me coming the other way!
3. The ticket barrier dawdler who a)hasn't got their ticket ready b) can't find it c) but most of all doesn't stand aside whilst searching for their Oyster card creating a jam the WI would be proud of.

Normal people you mean? For sure they're always going to be the enemy of the psychotic freaks that are the majority of long-term commuters.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I liked the olden days when I was one of around a thousand cyclists battling it out with traffic not greatly used to me, rather than the million or so now weaving their way through the streets of our capital, around 40% of which are bellends. I saw some anus cycle a penny farthing to work the other month. Ung! I might turn myself into a regular walker and runner in now. 50 minute jog or twice as much to amble. Then a walk and a bus home. Should be less annoying. Or have me find new sets of people to be frustrated with. Perhaps I wouldn't be me if I didn't long nefariously for the foul just desserts to be delivered to the faces of one or two travelling clowns each morning. I hope I uncover such nobs soon.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Normal people you mean? For sure they're always going to be the enemy of the psychotic freaks that are the majority of long-term commuters.

It hardly makes you psychotic being prepared and aware of your surroundings! My grandparents called this considerate!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It hardly makes you psychotic being prepared and aware of your surroundings!

It's learned lab-rat behaviour conditioned into you by WAY too many days being plugged into the rail network. If you were an infrequent user of that network you'd be 'guilty' of each and every one of these 'crimes' you list.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I can walk to work in 15 mins if I mission it, 20 mins if I mosey...

Where's that 'smug bastrd' smiley?!

Mind you, the walk is still long enough to get p|ssed off with the great unwashed on occasions!

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
•People who, as you walk further along the platform than them, glare at you as if you are pushing in.

Yeah, gonna guess that one is purely your imagination.

•******** in suits and trainers. Why, just why?

Maybe for comfort whilst walking to work or standing on the train? Or maybe to avoid getting a nice pair of shoes scuffed up by the angry looking fella running between carriages calling everyone 'prats'....?

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I don't have a fixed commute but added to those from the OP :
Gits who simply refuse to acknowledge that a motorway lane is closed despite 20 miles of flashing signals and then have to brake suddenly as they simply expect everyone who has made the lane change to graciously give way to them...
Females (could be blokes as well but in my experience it is females) who have booked their flight to and from some naff holiday destination which means that they have to travel on the busiest trains and the underground in rush hour : they do this with a f**k off great suitcase that they can't lift or move and I feel bloody obliged to lift or move it for them....

kc1

Nov 11, 2011
I cannot stand tourists first thing in the morning, i am usually on the 7.11 from Hove and at least 3/4 times a week i will have to dodge someone taking a picture of ****ing tower bridge.

A previous commute involved a walk over the tower bridge, I lost count of the amount of photos I've was asked to take....

Shoreham Gull

Nov 3, 2012
Westdene
My commute driving from Eastbourne to Reigate..

45 mile there and same back, 1 hour journey at 5.30am,, then 1 hour 20ty to get back..

Been doing it for over 10 years and used to it ( always had to commute so find it the norm )

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Cars
Other peoples cars
And bikes
especially bikes
Taxis
Buses
Bus lanes
Taxis and buses in bus lanes
Pedestrians
Traffic lights
Pedestrians crossing the road at, or not at, traffic lights
Everybody else.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Middle lane hoggers
HGVs changing lanes without indicating.
Cars driving at 50mph or less, on a quiet motorway in perfect daytime weather conditions (use the bloody A road)
Road works, especially with the average speed camera in use.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I hate my commute in to work even though it’s only about 8 miles door-to-door, and when I finally get to my desk I hate about 90% of mankind too.

The timeline of my main peeves, irritations and hate-figures is as follows:

Car to station

• Prats who force their way up the narrow road expecting everyone else to pull in and let them pass.
• Prats who don’t acknowledge you pulling in for them
• Kids who wander across the road glaring at you in some weird new variant of ‘chicken’
• Prats who try to park at the side of the road and hold you up for aaaages whilst they struggle interminably to reverse into a space a bus could drive in to.
• Prats at the junction who won’t pull out unless they have a guaranteed 30 seconds in which to do so.
• Prats who are turning right but can’t position themselves properly so prevent anyone from turning left.

Station and train

• People who, as you walk further along the platform than them, glare at you as if you are pushing in.
• People who have phone conversations on the train and make no effort to talk discretely.
• The constant sniffer who is never more than 5 yards away.
• The pranny who insists on bringing their breakfast on to the train and slurps their coffee noisily, eats their croissant noisily and greedily, then flicks their crumbs on to your legs.
• The prat who sits next to you and believes that etiquette allows him to spread open his newspaper to read whilst leaving his forearm within an inch of your face.
• The dick who has ignored the regulations about bikes in rush hour and glares at everyone who gives him and his bike a ‘dark look’.
• Us, who do no more than give ‘dark looks’.
• Smelly people.
• People who believe it is acceptable to wander along the platform at the other end, engrossed in their kindle, Candy Crush, Facebook status or whatever, and get in the effing way of those of us who hate dawdlers.
• Tits who queue at the first ticket gate and cause a massive blockage despite their being 19 other empty ticket gates.

The walk to work.

• People thrusting crap I don’t want in to my hands.
• ********s in suits and trainers. Why, just why?
• People who believe it is acceptable to wander along the pavement at the other end, engrossed in their kindle, Candy Crush, Facebook status or whatever, and get in the effing way of those of us who hate dawdlers.
• Full kit wanker cyclists who treat every morning and evening as a stage of the Tour of Britain.
• People who jog to work. On some of the busiest pavements and roads in the country. In rush hour.
• Dawdlers. All of them. Except those with medical conditions.
• Tits who pull out massive golf umbrellas at the very first hint of drizzle.
• Couples, yes couples, arm-in-arm, with massive golf umbrellas in minor drizzle.
• Idiots who insist in talking very loudly in to their Blackberries so we can all hear how important they are.

I could go on and on and on…

Very jealous of those who work from home. Very jealous indeed.

Ever thought you needed anger management?

D

Deleted member 18477

Either 20 minute car journey when I want to go into the office or work from home. Will make my head quarters my home when I move house in the next few years.

Occasionally have to go to other locations, sometimes 2hr drives or trains into London but these expenses are all paid for by company so it's not as bad as burning my own fuel or paying for that shite excuse of a train service we have in the south.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
2 min walk over a busy road accompanied by a guard carrying an AK47 every morning at 6.45 :)

Now that's a quality ex-pat commute. For part of the time I was working in India we were a 3 minute walk from the office or, given the traffic, cows, beggars and one way system. a three minute drive. However our contract said we had drivers so drivers we had. We'd spend longer batting the mossies out of the car's "dashboard" than driving to work. No AK47s though.

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester
15 minute cycle involving up by the side of Lancs CC and then past the front of The Stadium of Dreams (currently quite a chuckle watching them take down huge hoardings that featured Wellbeck etc) then along the waterfront to Media City. Quite pleasant and enjoyable especially in winter when it's cold enough to wear my Alibion scarf.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here