Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your journey to work and the irritations you encounter

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
The constant sniffer who is never more than 5 yards away.
Yes Yes Yes! and the fecker who snores like a trumpet!

********s in suits and trainers. Why, just why?
I am one of them...! And I will explain why, I do not belive in wasting/ruining expensive shoes with a 3 mile (round trip) car to station walk, followed by being trodden on and smashed into with suitcases at Victoria station to then have the same thing repeated on the tube follwed by another half mile walk to the office. I preffer to wear trainers to aid my comofort whilst having a nice shiny black pair of shoes wating for me under my desk each morning.
Thats why I wear f*****g trainers!

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
From the alarm going off to my arrival at my desk is 2 hours. Don't like it, in fact it's pretty soul destroying but sometimes the career you fall into just doesn't lend itself to working from home.
For me it's a case of catching up on a few zzzzs' or getting stuck into a good book.

I have a couple of so far unmentioned gripes that those coming from the south to LB might be able to relate to -
-That terrible smell that emanates from that rubbish tip when nearing the M25 going north. Are there really people living in that new housing development directly next to it?
- having to stop (and sometimes change) at East Croydon twice a day. It really is a foul part of the world.
- that "Jeeessssus, beliieeeve in Jeeesus" chappie who awaits our arrival when walking over London Bridge.
- the contractors who don't seem to know how to lay two paving stones smoothly and concurrently together on the bridge itself.
- the smell of that damned bacon (if you know the commute, then you will know exactly what I mean).

chamakh_attack

Feb 14, 2014
Between 40 mins and an hour generally. From Willingdon to Old Steine A27 on the way in is ok although Vogue and Lewes Rd are getting worse and worse. On the way back I mix it up by going A259, I'm in no huge rush at that stage and I figure that if I'm going to be in traffic I'd rather look at a sea view than the banking on the A27.
Used to get the train but bagged a car park space at work so never looked back.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
I spent 7 years driving for anything between an hour and an hour and half from Burgess Hill and more recently Hassocks to Sutton and the same back again in the evening. It drove me nuts, hated it. I took a redundancy offer earlier this year and have just secured a new job with a Haywards Heath base offset by a couple of days a week in the City (close by Aldgate) although probably not full days, so can travel outside of the rush. Cannot wait.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
i am surprised nowadays at how many people ask about 'working from home' when applying for an office job in london, from easily commutable distances. it must be a generational thing, and its always 'one or two days a week?'. thats not a moan, it just seems strange to me, but i suppose thats todays working culture.

I was offered it rather than requesting it. I work 4 days in London (sometimes with trips to Bristol / Salisbury) and one from home. It helps with childcare particularly but also allows me to book doctors and dentists in Brighton on a day when everyone knows I won't be in rather than pulling a surprise half day. Good for getting to evening games too :thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
About 2 mile drive from home to West Worthing station.
6:49 train to London Bridge.
15-20 minute walk of a mile or so to Moorgate.

Reverse that at the end of the day, generally on the 5:42 London Bridge service.

Largely hate it despite loading up the iPad with stuff to watch. I don't really have many gripes with any aspect of it, other than just having to do it. Work at home sometimes which equates to a lie-in, starting work earlier, getting more work done and being 'home' (or in home mode) earlier. Everyone is a winner.

My only annoyance is those rubbish train carriages that have 5 seats across instead of 4 - it's just too cramped - often accompanied by no shelving to store bags and jackets.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I was offered it rather than requesting it. I work 4 days in London (sometimes with trips to Bristol / Salisbury) and one from home. It helps with childcare particularly but also allows me to book doctors and dentists in Brighton on a day when everyone knows I won't be in rather than pulling a surprise half day. Good for getting to evening games too :thumbsup:

I'm in Bristol now and I'd rather drive to Bristol than get the train to London, although not every day obviously.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i just wish people would learn to drive properly...drives me ****ing mental day after day ...i have been working locally for the last four months but my current job is an hour away in the posh part of town ....they are the worst drivers , posh c""ts

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Theres an idiot here who lives on the Austrian border..doesnt want to move his family, so he has quite a trek...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm in Bristol now and I'd rather drive to Bristol than get the train to London, although not every day obviously.

I'd rather not drive to Bristol at any time. I always get the train via Paddington. At the risk of boring the pants off NSC do you go M4 / M25 / M23 or cross country? The thought of hitting the M25 in the late evening rush makes me shudder. Ditto doing Arundel to Brighton at the end of a very long day.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Drive from Wetherby to Leeds. Smooth and relatively trouble free, except when you enter Harehills. The council have changed road markings, so that there are not two lanes down into regents road. Now only one follows that route, the other lane is soley for traffic to Jimmys hospital. Despite this being the case for over 3 months, drivers still use both lanes but cut in at the lights. Means I am stuck in a jam for no reason. Plus, you cant sound your horn in Harehills without fear of someone punching your lights out (and not the ones on the front of your car)

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
From the alarm going off to my arrival at my desk is 2 hours. Don't like it, in fact it's pretty soul destroying but sometimes the career you fall into just doesn't lend itself to working from home.
For me it's a case of catching up on a few zzzzs' or getting stuck into a good book.

I have a couple of so far unmentioned gripes that those coming from the south to LB might be able to relate to -
-That terrible smell that emanates from that rubbish tip when nearing the M25 going north. Are there really people living in that new housing development directly next to it?
- having to stop (and sometimes change) at East Croydon twice a day. It really is a foul part of the world.
- that "Jeeessssus, beliieeeve in Jeeesus" chappie who awaits our arrival when walking over London Bridge.
- the contractors who don't seem to know how to lay two paving stones smoothly and concurrently together on the bridge itself.
- the smell of that damned bacon (if you know the commute, then you will know exactly what I mean).

I cannot stand tourists first thing in the morning, i am usually on the 7.11 from Hove and at least 3/4 times a week i will have to dodge someone taking a picture of ****ing tower bridge.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
pushing the bike up the v steep drove is a bit of a pain but once up I can freewheel all the way down droveway, shirley rd, drive to hove seafront.

journey from work may be a steady climb but to work is a breeze

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here