Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your first World Cup memory?

D

Deleted member 18477

1998 Alan Shearer header and Paul Scholes stunner against Tunisia! 2-0 England!

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
England vs Brazil 2002, and THAT free kick :(

This. I said to my dad at about two or three minutes to go "Why don't they pass forwards instead of at the back?" and my dad was just so disgraced at the fact this would be the first world cup i'd remember properly and we went out so limply.

I remember having a chart in 1998 for the teams and my dad telling me the team in light blue (they all seemed to be in blue or white on the chart!) were our enemy. We was on about Argentina of course but i never remembered a single match.

DIRK STEELE

Banned
Mar 4, 2011
London now.
1966... from the 0-0 Uruguay game...Argentina as animals!!!. I remember the final when I was in tears after the Germany equilizer... and it wasn't a free kick!!! So why could the Queen not intervene and overrule the ref!... I was only a little boy then... as now. All been downhill from then, my high expectations have always been dashed!
A spoilt child eh??

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
1982. Was in Spain and I remember going to a local bar to watch the games (as I did the A-Team everyday) but remember almost nothing about the games. I remember walking back home thinking we are out of the world cup too, but can't remember the game.

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
1974 West Germany v Holland WC Final. I remember being on Sandbanks Beach near to someone who was listening to the commentary on the radio.

generation x

its in the blood
Nov 24, 2007
Mexico 1970. Can't remember much about it apart from my Dad's reaction to England being knocked out. Still have my sticker book somewhere & a soft spot for the mighty El Salvador, the only team I completed.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
my first would be the 2-0 defeat to poland in the qualifiers for 74,alan ball sent off (outrageous back then) and we played in yellow,i seem to recall
my old man said don't worry son,we'll thrash them at wembley,cue jan tomacheski
england got really slatted for that,but turned out poland were a very good side,losing the semi-final to west germany on a waterlogged pitch,lato got the golden boot,i think

as for the world cup finals of 74,my favourite games include

holland-brazil
east germany-west germany
yugoslavia-zaire

holland were such a great side in the 70's,lost back to back finals,ouch!

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
USA 94. Brazil scored, they panned to celebrations and replays. When they came back they'd scored again.

Jimmy Grimble

Owen 98

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
This. I said to my dad at about two or three minutes to go "Why don't they pass forwards instead of at the back?" and my dad was just so disgraced at the fact this would be the first world cup i'd remember properly and we went out so limply.

I remember having a chart in 1998 for the teams and my dad telling me the team in light blue (they all seemed to be in blue or white on the chart!) were our enemy. We was on about Argentina of course but i never remembered a single match.

Thing was though. That was probably the closest match that Brazil had at that tournament. If we'd beaten them I reckon we would have got the final and probably won. It's all academic as we had a shocking second half. If only we had got to half-time still in the lead.

I kind of remember watching Mexico 86 but really woke up to football watching Italia 90. Such an epic tournament.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Italia 90, THAT game against Germany, it had everything: goals, missed chances, tears, penalties and the obligatory England defeat. Even as a 6 year old I was gutted when we went out.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
1966 camping in the New Forest listening to the final on a transistor radio by the side of our Austin Ruby Seven with Dad, Mum and my sister ' somptingull '

Attachments

• img285.jpg
    img285.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 14

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I was 5 in 1990, but for some reason don't remember any of it.

My first memory of the World Cup is Ireland Beating Italy at USA 1994.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Argentina 1978.

I remember the big anticipation of seeing Scotland winning the world cup and then getting thumped 3 -1 by Peru with 2 screamers from Cubilas.

I seem to remember that this mighty performance was followed with a 1-1 draw with Iran ( Iran had to score the goal for Scotland as well ) and a Scottish player then failed a drugs test.

They got a bit of pride back with a great performance against Holland.

I also remember seeing Holland drawing with the Germans and beating Italy with some spectacular goals by Ari Haan.

I was that much into my first world cup that I sat up and watched Tunisia beat Mexico 3-1. ( it can’t have been a school night )

It’s never been the same since!!!

The best world cup by far!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here