Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your first World Cup memory?

Pumba04

Jan 27, 2011
Burgess Hill
1978 for me.. and the Adidas Tango ball !!

Mind you I remember I was more into the 1982 world cup with my 'Match weekly' wall chart and ladybird 'world cup facts n figures' book which had blank fixtures and tables for me to update!!

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex
I remember 74 but got really into it by 78. The ticker tape stuff that accompanied Argentina coming onto the pitch or scoring, Archie Gemmills goal vs Holland, Mario Kempes and staying up late to watch matches between countries I'd never really heard of.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Cameroon 1-0 Argentina, 1990.

Probably my earliest football memory full stop, though I was so excited about the World Cup I must have already caught the football bug...

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Can vaguely remember England V Brazil in 1970 & we've never had as good a side since.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
1958. Sweden v Pele & Co.

Made to go to the swimming pool by maternal parent,being given permission to leave,running home,climbing in through a very small open window...........just in time.

I understand there have been other World Cups,but nothing like this.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Finals - Scotland v Peru. Don Masson missed a penalty and Scotland lost 3-1.

Qualifiers - this little gem. A superb England performance against Italy in 1977. Brooking and Keegan working together at their sublime best. Barnes and Coppell showing how wingers should work, and the Italians resorting to kick, hacks, elbows and other assorted maiming. Enjoy...

[yt]TTuRMartPII[/yt]

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Bryan Robson scoring after a few seconds against France in 1982.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I watched abit of USA 94 but couldn't for the life of me tell you anything about it.

PROPERLY was France '98 , was at school in classes and had a little radio trying to get sent out the room as much as possible so I could get updates on the England vs Tunisia game!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here