Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Your first away game watching The Albion

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Still remember going to Reading away the same season with you now that was messy
I was very, very drunk at the match. Ended up in the home end cheering the Albion on. Thankfully they took pity on me.

There were 100 Albion arrests that afternoon and it made front page news. On the way home, I remember meeting an old friend from school days who had spent the afternoon in a police cell. I was shocked at him.

But then, there was something about that game. I don't know what it was. Albion fans behaving like animals, and I was one of them. I've never behaved like it before and I've never behaved like it since. Just odd.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Chester was mental, full of Brighton in the town, remember randomly some bloke had a spray painted sheet that had BHA on it but he made it stand for Brighton Holsten Army.
This photo is in my iPad photo library, I often wonder where it was taken.

IMG_0754.jpeg

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This photo is in my iPad photo library, I often wonder where it was taken.

View attachment 168341
That's it! Of course, that might not be at Chester, it might be I just noticed it at Chester.

I can't ****ing believe I was about the same age at that game as my son will be when we go to Amsterdam. Still, who needs the Amsterdam Arena when you've got Sealand Rd with it's charming open terrace / grass bank, charming small undercover bit of away end where you can exchange a large number of coins with the wealthy locals and charming open air bogs, complete with manure piles.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
That's it! Of course, that might not be at Chester, it might be I just noticed it at Chester.

I can't ****ing believe I was about the same age at that game as my son will be when we go to Amsterdam. Still, who needs the Amsterdam Arena when you've got Sealand Rd with it's charming open terrace / grass bank, charming small undercover bit of away end where you can exchange a large number of coins with the wealthy locals and charming open air bogs, complete with manure piles.
I had some idea the photo was taken at Northampton, think there was another photo that was posted at the same time that mentioned Northampton. It was on here or Twitter

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
For the life of me I can't remember the year, it was mid 70's, Boxing Day away to Pompey. We lost 1-0, Sammy Morgan played and it was freezing cold and pouring with rain, really glad I went to that one!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I had some idea the photo was taken at Northampton, think there was another photo that was posted at the same time that mentioned Northampton. It was on here or Twitter
They were definitely in the same division as us in 87-88. Remember them coming to the Goldstone for a rare Friday night game and (as seemed to happen a lot that season) all hell breaking loose afterwards.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
They were definitely in the same division as us in 87-88. Remember them coming to the Goldstone for a rare Friday night game and (as seemed to happen a lot that season) all hell breaking loose afterwards.
I went to Northampton in the mid 90s, we filled the away end.

BHAryan

BHAryan
Feb 8, 2011
Worthing
Orient 2000? Div 3 winning season. Bobby and Brooker with the goals. As a young kid I can still remember getting the train, the terrace and we're the left/right side brighton boys on the walk back after on opposite sides of the road. Thought it was the wittiest thing ever

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Mine was Portsmouth away too, although it was September 1972, we lost 2-0, so guess it must have been the same game.
Yes it was 1972. I remember the Saturday being warm and got the 11ish train to Portsmouth. Got there a bit too early really as the locals were angry.

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Pretty awful video but decent number of us on the terrace...

Chewitt wrappers and all. I thought we went 1-0 up. Lost in the fog of memory.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I'm pretty sure Chester was an afternoon bank holiday match in spring, so probably not there.

I didn't start going regularly to away matches until a couple of seasons later.

I think during 87/88 away attendances were swelled by British Rail offers. They had weekends where it was £5 or £10 to travel the land on a Supersaver. So I dare say many took advantage. I was gutted I missed that year. We all had YPRs too, and some who still hadn't seen a Bic were still getting half price on the sly.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I'm pretty sure Chester was an afternoon bank holiday match in spring, so probably not there.

I didn't start going regularly to away matches until a couple of seasons later.

I think during 87/88 away attendances were swelled by British Rail offers. They had weekends where it was £5 or £10 to travel the land on a Supersaver. So I dare say many took advantage. I was gutted I missed that year. We all had YPRs too, and some who still hadn't seen a Bic were still getting half price on the sly.
Yeah it was an afternoon bank holiday game. That night there was a game that helped us to promotion with its result though so could have been celebrating that evening. Our train load certainly knew.

Spot on about rail fares. Was dirt cheap then. Criminal today even with a YPR or Two Together

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here