Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your favourite World Cup Team

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
France 1998 were pretty special. Zidane the greatest player ever.

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
And thrice yea - Brazil 1970 surpassed all before or since. Jarzinhio, Pele, Rivelino, Tostao, Felix, Alberto are magical talismans from the final act in the Jules Rimet era.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Brazil '70.

Not been bettered yet.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
North Korea 1966

Oct 25, 2003
Surprised to see so many votes for France in 1998. They were hardly an entertaining team and were mainly based around having a monumental defence (including Deschamps in front of them). If you look at their results in that competition- Got through a very easy group before a golden goal win against Paraguay in the 2nd round, Penalty shoot out against Italy (0-0 draw) and a 2-1 win over a plucky Croatia side that had overachieved in getting there . They then came up against a far more talented side in Brazil who simply choked in the final. THEY HAD STEPHANE BLOODY GUIVARCH IN THEIR SIDE

anyway

-Both Yugoslavia and Croatia in 1998- what a team that country would have had if it hadn't have split up. Would have won at least 1 competition in the 90's in my opinion.

-Netherlands in 1998- best team in the tournament in my opinion. Look back at the talent they had in the squad- Bergkamp, Kluivert, Seedorf, Davids, Overmars, De Boer, Stam...I could go on. Brilliant team that should have won the tournament

-South Korea in 2002. Nothing special in terms of talent but their sheer tenacity and constant slightly dodgy wins and decisions in their favour against far better sides in front of their insanely loud fans was such a FAIRYTALE

-Brazil in 2002. Not the most entertaining Brazilian side but it was the moment when the great Ronaldo truly stepped up...Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho as a front line- wowsers

-Senegal in 2002. So much flair from a team that almost to a man, ended up having hugely disappointing careers afterwards

-USA in 2002. The tournament that re-ignited the love of SOCCER in the states and helped to rejuvenate the flairest league known to man- MLS

(as you can tell I really enjoyed the 2002 world cup)

-Ghana 2006 & 2010. Probably the best African sides I've seen and I really thought they'd get to the semi's in 2010

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The best two teams ever I think are Brazil 1970 and the recent Spain team, (though they weren't amazing in winning the world cup). My favourite are South Korea in 2002. Never seen a team and crowd look "as one" in the way they did. Never seen a team put in as many tackles or genuinely come across as though they would rather die than lose. But yeh they didn't do badly out of a couple of those refs

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
You lucky sod! Love Motty's commentary, really hope the Beeb get back the rights to show England games.

Just had a look. The BBC will show the Italy game, and if we progress, our last 16 and semi final games. BOTH ITV and BBC will show the final.

jemwillett

Feb 17, 2012
Burgess Hill
Argentina in 78. All that paper. Maybe it was fixed but it was brilliant to watch. My first proper tournament that I watched.

England in Italia 90. Linekers penalties, Platts volley, beating Egypt, those penalties. Gascoigne.

I'm hoping Belgium can do something special this year.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Surprised to see so many votes for France in 1998. They were hardly an entertaining team and were mainly based around having a monumental defence (including Deschamps in front of them). If you look at their results in that competition- Got through a very easy group before a golden goal win against Paraguay in the 2nd round, Penalty shoot out against Italy (0-0 draw) and a 2-1 win over a plucky Croatia side that had overachieved in getting there . They then came up against a far more talented side in Brazil who simply choked in the final. THEY HAD STEPHANE BLOODY GUIVARCH IN THEIR SIDE

They weren't defensive, they just couldn't finish teams off because at that point they didn't have any top quality strikers. Thierry Henry was still playing out wide back then and David Trezeguet didn't break his way into the side for another year or so, and so their forwards during that tournament were the aforementioned Guivarch and Christophe Dugarry. Zidane was excellent that tournament, but France's struggles with Paraguay and Italy coincided with him serving a 2 match ban for getting sent off in the group stage against Saudi Arabia for stamping on somebody, as we know he could occasionally do. Beyond Zidane, as I said in my earlier post, Bixente Lizarazu was bloody brilliant that year, as an attacking outlet as well as for his defensive qualities, but then I suppose people don't really watch football for the left backs, so it probably went unnoticed or unappreciated by many.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Thinking back to France '98, I quite enjoyed Chile that year. Salas and Zamorano up front were lethal. Zamorano singing the national anthem was entertaining in itself. Javier Margas with his dyed red hair. They had a good team that year, but ran into Brazil in the last 16. Think they could be a team to watch again this year, although they have landed in a tough group.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Brazil '70 just ahead of the '82 side. Both full of mavericks more concerned with attacking than defending.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
While Brazil 1970 probably edge it, can't belive anyone hasn't mentioned Holland 1974. Hippies playing total football. Here they are teaching the reigning world champions how to play. And do the Brazilians not like it. Enjoy...

[yt]ZTs2iwMqVMg[/yt]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here