Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Your favourite former manager of the Amex era

Which former Amex-era manager do you now feel most fondness for?

• Gus Poyet

Votes: 43 15.6%
  • Oscar Garcia

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Sami Hyypia

Votes: 7 2.5%
  • Chris Hughton

Votes: 192 69.8%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 17 6.2%

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I’d like to think that both parties could come to an arrangement. Chris and Tony are both good men I am sure they can sort something out. As much as I loved Chris he had run out of road and the decision to move on was the correct one at the time.
I agree, just not in the manner it was done.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Felt Gus was over rated, a monkey could of taken us up to the championship with the players he had, how many of them went on to Premier football?

I would say CH as he took us up so won something as well so kudos to him.
Gus utterly transformed the playing side of the club, the professionalism, intensity and style of football. Weird take.

Russconha

Jul 8, 2012
Littlehampton
I liked Oscar because he overachieved with what he had and also it was fun to sing his song, plus his team selections were always 100% professional.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
Gus utterly transformed the playing side of the club, the professionalism, intensity and style of football. Weird take.
The style was tedious and frustrating, if we went 1-0 down the best we could hope for was a draw. Intensity? There was little imo. This was reflected in that Houghton quickly changed things enough for us to get promoted and keep us up even though he had a defensive mentality as well.

I watched and counted in one match the winger Will Buckley ran down the touchline with the ball 4 times in a match, other wingers do that in ten minutes. Added to that he drove Glenn Murray out of the club who then got Palace up, nah, he was over reliant on classy but ageing crocks from Europe. He may of took us forward but I think others could have done it better.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
Another vote for Hughton here.

I’m hugely appreciative of what Graham Potter achieved. He oversaw a period in which both our squad and style of play changed without losing our Premier League status, but the way he left with the coaching team robs him of a great deal of affection, and the snide comments after he left showed a pretty distasteful lack of respect for what he’d had at Brighton.

He seemed to be prepared to take a booing from Chelsea fans too. He clearly felt he was too good for the likes of us. Never mind a degree in emotional intelligence, I hope he’s getting those history lessons in now he’s got the time.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The style was tedious and frustrating, if we went 1-0 down the best we could hope for was a draw. Intensity? There was little imo. This was reflected in that Houghton quickly changed things enough for us to get promoted and keep us up even though he had a defensive mentality as well.

I watched and counted in one match the winger Will Buckley ran down the touchline with the ball 4 times in a match, other wingers do that in ten minutes. Added to that he drove Glenn Murray out of the club who then got Palace up, nah, he was over reliant on classy but ageing crocks from Europe. He may of took us forward but I think others could have done it better.
You were talking about his team in League One originally. They certainly weren’t ‘tedious and frustrating’.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
If it was Withdean era I would have Poyet above Adams (v 1.0) .... The last season at Withdean was wonderful entertainment.

I just love a manager who wins promotion ...

That's why I voted Chris.

Falmer era..

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Hughton was a deserved winner and played attacking, fun football in the Championship which shouldn’t be tainted by getting more and more defensive and cautious about youngsters as things got difficult in the PL. he even did a great job up there.

Poyet was just a lot of fun though until his final few weeks. It was all so fresh and raw. Never a dull moment. Helped by the fact was the time I travelled away to games a lot, I’m sure.

Edit - ah yes the very best season of Poyet was probably the L1 winning season so sadly not Amex Era. Still fun but not quite peak. I always consider that season the start of the Amex Era but realise by definition it’s not.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here