Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Your favourite former manager of the Amex era

Which former Amex-era manager do you now feel most fondness for?

• Gus Poyet

Votes: 43 15.6%
  • Oscar Garcia

Votes: 16 5.8%
  • Sami Hyypia

Votes: 7 2.5%
  • Chris Hughton

Votes: 192 69.8%
  • Graham Potter

Votes: 17 6.2%

• Total voters

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Hughton all the way. It sounds trite, but we wouldn't be where we are this season without him. You can say the same in terms of player development for Potter I suppose, but in terms of results Hughton got us up and Potter, for his first two seasons, just about kept us there.
You still re writing the Potter history book I see :rolleyes:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Hughton put the foundations in so Potter and De Zerbi could get on finishing the house. Chris joined us when we were at a low ebb, steadied the ship, turned us around and we stopped looking down and began to look up. Getting this team promoted in the manner he did after the playoff disappointment the year before was just magnificent.

I know those first two seasons in the Premier League were not the prettiest watch but he left us in the division and the rest is history. On top of that the man was a complete gent, full of empathy and understanding. Having Hughton represent this club was an absolute pleasure.

As sad as it was Bloom made the right decision to move on, but in all honesty Chris had done his job and completed his mission with us. Would love it if Chris could make an appearance at the Amex at some point so we can show our appreciation for what he achieved.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Hughton all day long. Class human being, top manager and achieved what the previous three didn't/couldn't in getting Brighton to the Premier League.

Shame his OTT theatrics on the touchline let him down, though :wink:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You still re writing the Potter history book I see :rolleyes:
Potter's record in England:

Swansea - 10th in the Championship (win percentage 41%)
Brighton - 15th, 16th (three and two places above relegation) and 9th in the Premier League (win percentage 31.1%)
Chelsea - Left with the club at its lowest in the table since 2015/16. Win percentage 38.7%

The bloke doesn't do consistent wins in this country.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hughton put the foundations in so Potter and De Zerbi could get on finishing the house. Chris joined us when we were at a low ebb, steadied the ship, turned us around and we stopped looking down and began to look up. Getting this team promoted in the manner he did after the playoff disappointment the year before was just magnificent.

I know those first two seasons in the Premier League were not the prettiest watch but he left us in the division and the rest is history. On top of that the man was a complete gent, full of empathy and understanding. Having Hughton represent this club was an absolute pleasure.

As sad as it was Bloom made the right decision to move on, but in all honesty Chris had done his job and completed his mission with us. Would love it if Chris could make an appearance at the Amex at some point so we can show our appreciation for what he achieved.
Would he attend if invited? I'm not so sure after finding his pass to the training ground was invalidated before he even knew he'd been sacked.
The club didn't cover itself in glory the way he was treated. He behaved with dignity. We didn't.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Would he attend if invited? I'm not so sure after finding his pass to the training ground was invalidated before he even knew he'd been sacked.
The club didn't cover itself in glory the way he was treated. He behaved with dignity. We didn't.
It does seem there is some bad feeling/lingering disappointment. Shame, he really does deserve a thank you from the fans at the Amex and I’ve no doubt it would be rapturous.

I didn’t know about the training ground pass, that is fecking disgusting and totally disrespectful if true, and no surprise he doesn’t want to come near the Amex

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Potter's record in England:

Swansea - 10th in the Championship (win percentage 41%)
Brighton - 15th, 16th (three and two places above relegation) and 9th in the Premier League (win percentage 31.1%)
Chelsea - Left with the club at its lowest in the table since 2015/16. Win percentage 38.7%

The bloke doesn't do consistent wins in this country.
You're forgetting the hamstring injuries he subjected his players to I think :wink:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It should be Potter given the transformation of the style of play under him but he never managed to beat Palace or seem to understand the importance of the fixture to the fans, belittled us with his "history lesson" comments and gutted the backroom when he left. I'd have forgiven and forgotten the first 2 points if he'd left at the end of the season having won something or qualified for Europe but in reality we barely had a cup run under him let alone won anything. We had lots of good wins under him - Man Utd, City etc - but he never had a signature moment with us apart from his leaving.

Hughton got my vote as I'm sure he will get most other peoples. Took us up, kept us up and was a top man in the process.
Potter did transform us into being toothless in attack I suppose. We had plenty of possession and teams were happy to let us have it we were so goal shy.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It should be Potter given the transformation of the style of play under him but he never managed to beat Palace or seem to understand the importance of the fixture to the fans, belittled us with his "history lesson" comments and gutted the backroom when he left. I'd have forgiven and forgotten the first 2 points if he'd left at the end of the season having won something or qualified for Europe but in reality we barely had a cup run under him let alone won anything. We had lots of good wins under him - Man Utd, City etc - but he never had a signature moment with us apart from his leaving.

Hughton got my vote as I'm sure he will get most other peoples. Took us up, kept us up and was a top man in the process.
Is the correct answer.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You're forgetting the hamstring injuries he subjected his players to I think :wink:
I'm not sure exactly what you're on about. If you're alluding to a comment I made in the dim and distant past about the number of injuries under his regime then it may be accurate for all you know. There's little coaches can do about impact injuries but as a coaching team, muscular injury can be minimised with training style, conditioning, warming up and down properly, how you bring a player back, numbers of sprints young players do, all sorts.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I had to think about this long and hard.................................................................. well................................................................ uhmmmmmm................................................. Chris Hughton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not entirely sure Hughton paved the way for GPott, certainly not in the manner GPott did for RDZ.

For me The Cult of Potter (and for that matter Poyet) has rather sullied their legacy.

Obvs not as much as Sami, that said history isn't being fair on him and if you don't believe me look at the first league team he fielded - the fella was sold a pup.

Hughton followed by Garcia for me.

Last edited:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I had to think about this long and hard.................................................................. well................................................................ uhmmmmmm................................................. Chris Hughton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not anti-Potter, except for Hogwarts books & movies but that's another story. I really believe CH brought the team from bottom to top a lot quicker than any other manager in the Amex era.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Who would be the best reception if they popped onto the pitch and had a little wave at half time?

Poll looks about right to me.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Clearly CH wins any nice decent bloke award by a country mile. What he did for us in The Championship can't be sniffed at either.

If we're talking pure footballing entertainment and transformation of playing style though, then I can't see past the two GP's.

I voted Gus because he was a massive breath of fresh air from what we were used to, and I wasn't happy by the manner in which Potter left so he certainly isn't getting any vote from me.

Hyypia was simply out of his depth, although as Stat has already mentioned, he was dealt a pretty crap hand. It's not easy playing cards with a 7 high.

Garcia just had to keep the wheels on the Gus bus rolling along really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here