Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Your favourite country in the world and why

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Suppose ill be a bit biased as I moved to New Zealand in 2016 . Everything that everyone has said on here is true, its an amazing place ! In December though I thought very hard about coming home ( sad part of the story now is that my wife very suddenly and unexpectedly died in December, she was only 52 ) Thought **** it im coming home but im not one to give up and life here is just better, particularly for our 13 year old girl. So here we will stay for now.

Other mentions are like everyone else Italy. My parents had a holiday home in Umbria so know it very well.

Absolutley loved Croatia, in particular the islands

Sri Lanka and the Maldives are great for different reasons

Loved the craziness of India

On my list of never go backs is Malta and Cyprus

S.T.U cgull

Jan 17, 2009
HILLLLLLL
Very interesting thread - and definitely some places to add to my to-do list following previous posts!

For me, Cuba comes in first place. Yes, it can be extremely frustrating and impractical to do even the simplest of tasks - such as buy food or a bus ticket, and the politics are not to everybody's taste - but the beauty of the landscapes and the friendliness / genuine nature of the people was touching and will live long in my memory.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Italy for me ... when my parents split up there was talk we would move there ( my mother was Italian) and in many ways I wish we had... I go at least once a year although I have no relatives alive over there now.

It’s got everything I love there.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
France for me, love the scenery, the food, the wine and am a sucker for a female French accent! been many times and prefer Normandy/Picardy areas. The people are fine too if you make the efffort to fit in with them and their ways,I speak basic French which always goes a long way and is always appreciated.

This 100%. I love Italy (such a stunning country in all aspects) but France is absolutely wonderful. Such a diverse set of regions, from Normandy, to Alsace, to the Var & Provence. Just beautiful.

Im also a sucker for a female French accent as well...gets me every time (especially if its coming out the mouth of Marion Rousse) *swoon* :love:

Marion-Rousse-Wife-of-Tony-Gallopin-1-1.jpeg

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Always loved Malta ,the climate ,easy to get round ,nice people and decent food . Went back in November after 8 year and i couldn't put my finger on it but it wasn't the island i fell in love with. Croatia and Montenegro on the Adriatic coast is stunning . Before my time is up would love to see Alaska ,do The Andes Peru and Chile . Number 1 tick left would be New Zealand some sightseeing and the 5 days at Dunedin watching test Cricket ,small stadium ,grass banks and a beer in hand . Simple joys me .

Went to Malta for a wedding and ten days in the sun last July. Thought the place was a dump. Crap beaches (where you could actually find any) and English pubs everywhere. Wasn’t much better than Gibraltar.

Would love to go to Montenegro, that’s right at the top of my list. New Zealand is fabulous, Dunedin is pretty dull though. In fact all the cities are there.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Close to home it has to be France, a country that has it all. It’s no wonder the French never seem to venture far from their own country.
I also love Italy for its great scenery and food.

Further afield it is the US for me. It’s my kind of lifestyle and the music scene is by far the best in the world in my opinion. The negative is the cost of living over there. It is extremely expensive these days!

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
Went to Malta for a wedding and ten days in the sun last July. Thought the place was a dump. Crap beaches (where you could actually find any) and English pubs everywhere. Wasn’t much better than Gibraltar.

Would love to go to Montenegro, that’s right at the top of my list. New Zealand is fabulous, Dunedin is pretty dull though. In fact all the cities are there.

Montenegro is beautiful, I can't recommend Kotor enough.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Yeah, but what about the Pisco. On a serious note, I've just been ploughing through the Lonely planet guide to Peru as hope to visit there along with Bolivia when all this CV dies down. Got alot of time on my hands and it's one of the cheaper places in South America

Bolivia for me, absolutely wonderful place and so cheap you'll spend the first hour or so there checking you've got your exchange rates right. We didn't eat at Copacabana as we were sure three courses couldn't be three quid.

La Paz is incredible and free from a lot of the touristy shite you get in Peru.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Lefatshe la rona, Botswana.

To translate from Setswana, that means - this land, this happy land Botswana.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Close to home it has to be France, a country that has it all. It’s no wonder the French never seem to venture far from their own country.
I also love Italy for its great scenery and food.

Further afield it is the US for me. It’s my kind of lifestyle and the music scene is by far the best in the world in my opinion. The negative is the cost of living over there. It is extremely expensive these days!

To live, Germany, or Berlin, to be precise. It’s perfection for me and my interests. But, after a lot of consideration for purely travel I will also go for the US. There’s lot to dislike but equally, as a fan of big cities especially , the music, food, beer, architecture, arts across most of the country floats my boat.

Special nod to Barcelona as well, I visit at least once every year and love the city.

[MENTION=18309]Muzzy[/MENTION], any US music scene in particular?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
T But, after a lot of consideration for purely travel I will also go for the US. There’s lot to dislike but equally, as a fan of big cities especially , the music, food, beer, architecture, arts across most of the country floats my boat.

Are we talking about the same country? I've been to US several times and outside of New York, the place is a cultural desert. I remember having a week in Boston, supposedly one of the more cultural cities in the country - I had one night at the theatre and that was the only event that was on the whole time. Brighton's half the size and has twice as much going on

And that was Boston - a shudder to think what it's like in Hicksville City Arkansas

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Montenegro is beautiful, I can't recommend Kotor enough.

Second that. Absolutely brilliant place. We travelled there from Sarajevo. Absolutely loved Sarajevo, too. Still raw from the war, but the people were lovely and there was something about the place that made it very special. Would love to go back and explore more of the region.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
To live, Germany, or Berlin, to be precise. It’s perfection for me and my interests. But, after a lot of consideration for purely travel I will also go for the US. There’s lot to dislike but equally, as a fan of big cities especially , the music, food, beer, architecture, arts across most of the country floats my boat.

Special nod to Barcelona as well, I visit at least once every year and love the city.

Berlin in the summer and Berlin in the winter are like two different cities. Really love Berlin in the summer, but it feels very bleak and industrial in the winter, Imo like

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes

Country music is my passion aside from the Albion of course.
I sing it, play guitar to it and listen to it just about every day.

Nashville is heaven for me and where I would live if I moved abroad.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Are we talking about the same country? I've been to US several times and outside of New York, the place is a cultural desert. I remember having a week in Boston, supposedly one of the more cultural cities in the country - I had one night at the theatre and that was the only event that was on the whole time. Brighton's half the size and has twice as much going on

And that was Boston - a shudder to think what it's like in Hicksville City Arkansas

I guess it depends what you like. And I agree Boston is dull, unless you like a certain type of America history. And I also agree there’s some troubling places and attitudes. But there’s also lots to like.

But to pick just three: Chicago has a fascinating immigration and urban history, amazing 20th century architecture, art, food, drink and music scenes. Detroit has a very fascinating urban and industrial and music history (Obvs Motown but also electronic), New Orleans has music and architecture and food. There’s plenty in my opinion. When I have more time I will go on a bit more.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Country music is my passion aside from the Albion of course.
I sing it, play guitar to it and listen to it just about every day.

Nashville is heaven for me and where I would live if I moved abroad.

Nice one. I have been to Memphis but I never made it to Nashville. Whilst I am not a fan of country, I’m sure I’d find the history and current scene interesting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here