Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Your favourite country in the world and why

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We were supposed to be returning to Vancouver in June after a trip on the Rocky Mountaineer, but they have postponed the start of their season until 1st July (at least) so holiday cancelled.
On a previous visit to Vancouver 15 years ago we really enjoyed it, and were looking forward to seeing the changes since that visit.

I think it has gone up from the 95th to the 30th largest Chinese city in the world, or something :wink:

Compared with 15 years ago, it hasn't changed hugely. The suburbs expand but from downtown to Point Grey (university endowment lands) it is much the same (except with the added whiff of skunk, especially on Granville street downtown).

Compared with when I lived there....it has changed a lot. In the early 80s it had the ambience (and licencing laws) of an Eastbourne from the 1950s with added hippies (apart from its tiny alt. arts/music subculture, which was very cool). Now it is a big city. The huge Chinese population is a paradigm of integration, even attracting the somewhat sneery derogatory term 'banana' on occasion (but the lifestyle is so seductive (if you have a decent job) it is hard to not just dive in and become Local). A few years ago the entire UBC medical class intake one year was Chinese (I mean Chinese Canadian - BIG difference). Oh, and house prices. They have changed. Boy have they changed :facepalm:

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
Agree, and although you cannot tar everyone with the same brush, Italians can be extremely difficult and up themselves, especially Rome and the cities.
My brother in law is Italian, from the North near Como, he is a top bloke.

Of course, agree in the whole, but Roma for me is my favourite city anywhere.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Russia
Absolutely love at Petersburg and Moscow

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Always loved Malta ,the climate ,easy to get round ,nice people and decent food . Went back in November after 8 year and i couldn't put my finger on it but it wasn't the island i fell in love with. Croatia and Montenegro on the Adriatic coast is stunning . Before my time is up would love to see Alaska ,do The Andes Peru and Chile . Number 1 tick left would be New Zealand some sightseeing and the 5 days at Dunedin watching test Cricket ,small stadium ,grass banks and a beer in hand . Simple joys me .

I nearly emigrated to Dunedin in the 90s. Twice. Yes, it is special, down there. A bit too chilly for my liking, though. I love the idea of New Zealand as well as my limited experience of it. Fair people. Vast empty spaces. I am a big fan of the writer Ngaio Marsh who, occasionally, captured her home country in her Inspector Alleyn stories. An elegant writer who made Agatha Christe seem like Jeffrey Archer by comparison :thumbsup:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I nearly emigrated to Dunedin in the 90s. Twice. Yes, it is special, down there. A bit too chilly for my liking, though. I love the idea of New Zealand as well as my limited experience of it. Fair people. Vast empty spaces. I am a big fan of the writer Ngaio Marsh who, occasionally, captured her home country in her Inspector Alleyn stories. An elegant writer who made Agatha Christe seem like Jeffrey Archer by comparison :thumbsup:

Warm up north, year round in shorts if you feel your legs are up for it :lol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Between Thailand, Sweden and New Zealand.

Thailand is stunning, the people, the culture, the food.

Sweden, the wonderful way of life,simple, efficient and healthy and the beauty of its capital Stockholm to the remoteness of the north, wonderful.

New Zealand, I drove from Auckland to Cambridge and nearly crashed car a few times as I was rudely interrupted round every corner of the road, by the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen.

A small vote for England as well, nice climate, not too hot or cold, South Downs, south coast.....and all supported by a wonderful NHS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
Costa Rica

Amazing scenery extraordinary wildlife beaches very friendly people coupled with a green economy and no army. Everyone should visit at least once.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I think it has gone up from the 95th to the 30th largest Chinese city in the world, or something :wink:

Compared with 15 years ago, it hasn't changed hugely. The suburbs expand but from downtown to Point Grey (university endowment lands) it is much the same (except with the added whiff of skunk, especially on Granville street downtown).

Compared with when I lived there....it has changed a lot. In the early 80s it had the ambience (and licencing laws) of an Eastbourne from the 1950s with added hippies (apart from its tiny alt. arts/music subculture, which was very cool). Now it is a big city. The huge Chinese population is a paradigm of integration, even attracting the somewhat sneery derogatory term 'banana' on occasion (but the lifestyle is so seductive (if you have a decent job) it is hard to not just dive in and become Local). A few years ago the entire UBC medical class intake one year was Chinese (I mean Chinese Canadian - BIG difference). Oh, and house prices. They have changed. Boy have they changed :facepalm:

The largest group in Vancouver

Top ethnic origins in Vancouver CMA (2016)

Ethnic origin Population Percent
Chinese 499,175 20.6%
English 470,340 19.4%
Scottish 341,075 14.1%
Canadian 331,205 13.7%
Irish 275,355 11.3%
Indian 243,135 10.1%
German 222,025 9.2%
French 147,835 6.1%
Filipino 133,925 5.5%
Ukrainian 94,400 5.03%

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Thailand

Culture, scenery, beaches, food, partying, hot weather and amazing Bangkok. People were a lot nicer in the early 90's when I first visited but I would say that is the World over nowadays.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here