Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Your favourite city in the world

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes Amsterdam is lovely if you avoid the twats from England. It's the city I've visited more than any other because pre pandemic I used to go to an exhibition there every year with friends. I've probably been twenty times.

Terrible food though for Europe.

Avoiding weekends appears to be the trick in Europe in swerving UK hen/stags.

Food …. that’s common across northern Europe, an awful load of meat and more meat. The Indonesia food was lovely though.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Valletta. History, architecture and great food and lively atmosphere in the evening and you can do the whole place on foot.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
New York isn't full of social and working class history and architecture ?

Anything that started in the 17th century isn't history :wink:

Seriously, NY is great but I hate flying there - Newark or JFK.....unless someone is meeting me with a car and I can nod off, then I'm in..

OK, places other than Faversham I like:

New Orleans
Sennan
Dunedin
Sheffield
Prague
Edinburgh
Berlin
Dublin
Rye
Paris
Budapest
Arundel
Tel Aviv
Liverpool.....

And then I can come home punk::rock:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
New York isn't full of social and working class history and architecture ?

Yes, indeed.

But the north of England has been an obsession of mine. And following Albion all those years ago helped that. So all my favourite places are there along with Birmingham and some Georgian places.

It is the same for elsewhere. I spent a few months in Australia and loved the old mining towns.

I've never been to America. If I did it would be to travel from one side to the other most likely. See the places off the tourist map.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Bangkok for me. Can be trashy and fun - and very authentic. Thai people are lovely, incredible landmarks, weather brilliant (if you like it hot and steamy), amazing street food and vibrant colours everywhere.

Never tire of it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Avoiding weekends appears to be the trick in Europe in swerving UK hen/stags.

Food …. that’s common across northern Europe, an awful load of meat and more meat. The Indonesia food was lovely though.

I think it's more restaurants in Amsterdam they are invariably rubbish. It's not really an "eating out" city and the Dutch don't have much of a cuisine. Your choice in Amsterdam in usually foreign food done badly, if it's local it's usually some form of deep fried nonsense.

I'm quite happy eating in Belgium or Germany, but I'm sorry Amsterdam your food in restaurants sucks. I'll bring back a brick of your aged Gouda though.

I always find a hotel with a fridge and live off the very nice food you can get in the supermarkets.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Of those I’ve visited I’d say Cape Town, NYC or maybe Valencia.

Loved Hoi An too

That's interesting. I didn't really like Valencia. Fantastic beach, but the city suffers from not having much of a centre and to me is a rubbish Barcelona.

Maybe I missed something.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Marrakech, Edinburgh.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Same here, visited in July. The sea organ is well trippy. Best visited at dusk and just sitting there with a drink imho. I also like the fact that a lot of the “coast” to south and east of the old town is more a harbour wall with swimming pool steps into the Adriatic which people swim off.

Almost the first thing we did was head down the steps into the sea. Crystal clear water. Beautiful. And famously amazing sunsets. Which didn’t disappoint.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Just had 5 days in Gothenburg - lovely little city, with loads of beautiful, easily accessible islands. Fantastic, cheap public transport.
Otherwise, over the years, I have loved a whole load of cities:

Berlin - possibly my favourite
Barcelona - the city PLUS great beaches
London - so close, and very familiar - but that familiarity should definitely NOT breed contempt
Utrecht - very cute, and inevitably great for cycling
Athens - easy going, and cheap!
Riga - much better than Tallin!
Poznan - loved it simply because I expected very little, and the architecture is great
Hamburg - grungy in places, but impressive (and home of St Pauli, of course)
Munich - impressive, stately, but laid back too
Paris - can be frenetic, but so many hidden gems

Haven't travelled that much outside Europe, but I was surprised how much I enjoyed LA....and likewise Ho Chi Minh City, which is crazy!

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Berlin up there amongst others, but my all time favourite is Sarajevo in terms of how much the place sucked me in and the emotions I felt there. Amazing people and such rich (but raw) history. Such a fascinating place to visit. Highly recommend

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Edinburgh.

Almost certainly down to your circumstances and ability to explore.

I spent two years on a project there. I used to get the 7am or so flight from Gatwick on a Monday and the Thursday evening BA flight back. I got the tram to the Financial Services park between the station and the city centre, stayed there (the walk to the hotel necessitated a trip though a low price shopping centre and a Morrisons), and ran along a main road to Murrayfield two nights out of the four. It was always cold, always wet and always windy (some of the landings over the Firth of Forth were horrendous). It seemed to be full of Celtic and Rangers fans even though Hearts and Hibs were the local teams. I'm not sure I've ever loathed anywhere more.

And then I got to know my clients, found better running and walking routes, decent city centre pubs and restaurants, went up Arthur's Seat, got some time to explore the surrounding area. And I fell in love.

I could honestly live in Edinburgh, but my first four months or so there are among the most miserable of my life.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
That's interesting. I didn't really like Valencia. Fantastic beach, but the city suffers from not having much of a centre and to me is a rubbish Barcelona.

Maybe I missed something.

Doesn't valencia have one of the largest old towns in Europe?!

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I can't say I've been many places I've hated! If you look hard enough there's usually something for everyone everywhere. Except for maybe Croydon. Top 3 probably along these lines.

1. La Paz, Bolivia. Literally takes my breath away!

2. Tirana, Albania. Fascinating history.

3. Belfast. Probably just edges Brighton for the best pubs in the world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here