Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Your end of transfer window predictions

Any further signings in this transfer window?

• Yes at least one new addition to the squad will be made

Votes: 84 35.0%
  • No, the window is slammed firmly shut for us. We will carry on with what we have

Votes: 156 65.0%

• Total voters

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I don't know why that winds anyone up . - i mean fair enough - but its true right. ? We support a club who can compete for some of the best youngsters out there. Is that something you're annoyed about ?
Because on a day when most people are hoping we do something short term to help our deteriorating form, as well as appeasing our passionate manager who asked for 4 new signings, our resident spin masters droning on about players who might be good in 3 years time feels a tad irrelevant

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
RDZ was given Igor, Dahoud, Adingra, Pedro, Ansu Fati, Verbruggen in the summer.
Not pensioners , and all experienced at playing European top flight football for several years.
He's been backed.

So was Poyet, didn’t stop him stropping though. I reckon RDZ’s tenure is going to end in a similar way :shrug:

Last edited:

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Whilst I wanted a CM like KDH and am disappointed we look like we are done for the window, I don't get all the "back RDZ", and "he's going to walk" nonsense. If he walked he'd kill his chances at a big job and frankly he signed up to our club and the way we do things so asking for 4 first team additions was silly.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Fati on loan, Adringa returning from loan, Dahoud free transfer, Igor a back up option to Colwill (who RDZ always made clear he wanted) and he’d never heard of Pedro before he signed as per his media quotes.

So it’s hard to say De Zerbi has been backed as who have we actually gone and signed permanently who De Zerbi has asked for?
Given that Dahoud was personally wanted by De Zerbi, and based on what we have seen from Pedro so far, in all honesty I'd be delighted if we never signed ANYONE ever again that De Zerbi was asking for (unless he's going to get his own wallet out, of course).

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Fati on loan, Adringa returning from loan, Dahoud free transfer, Igor a back up option to Colwill (who RDZ always made clear he wanted) and he’d never heard of Pedro before he signed as per his media quotes.

So it’s hard to say De Zerbi has been backed as who have we actually gone and signed permanently who De Zerbi has asked for?
Thanks for saving me the time writing this out. The idea that he’s been backed is frankly ludicrous when you look at who we lost, who was bought to replace him and the fact we had Europe to contend with.

It was obvious in the summer we’d not had a great window (outside of selling players), and the results since have shown the imbalanced squad he’s got to work with.

Quite frankly, I think we’re massively over achieving this year considering all the factors, and I really did hope he’d be backed in January to allow us to get our form back on track.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

So it’s hard to say De Zerbi has been backed as who have we actually gone a brought who De Zerbi has asked for?
Pardon ? We offered Colwill £40m but he wouldn't come, Ansu Fati cost a fortune in loan fees, Igor is a Europa League winner who cost millions . Adingra is a returning loan, we apparently went and bought Dahoud on RDZ's recommendations and buying a 18 goal striker in January for 30m isn't "backing him" because RDZ hadn't heard of him. So what ? Its not his job to go round finding players to bring in.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Quite frankly, I think we’re massively over achieving this year considering all the factors, and I really did hope he’d be backed in January to allow us to get our form back on track.
Doesn't RDZ , as our coach bear any responsiblity for getting our form back on track ? Or is it because we haven't spent £40m on a couple of players this window - not for want of trying it appears - is that the issue ?

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Given that Dahoud was personally wanted by De Zerbi, and based on what we have seen from Pedro so far, in all honesty I'd be delighted if we never signed ANYONE ever again that De Zerbi was asking for (unless he's going to get his own wallet out, of course).
Even if Dahoud was wanted be De Zerbi, how do we know he wasn’t 10th on De Zerbi’s list?

I don’t think any Brighton fan would question the Pedro signing, he’s been amazing. But that wasn’t the point I was responding to.

The point was that DE ZERBI has been backed, not that the team hasn’t been bolstered. We haven’t paid money via any transfer fee for anyone that De Zerbi has wanted. That’s my point, HE has not been backed and his judgement has not been trusted.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Thanks for saving me the time writing this out. The idea that he’s been backed is frankly ludicrous when you look at who we lost, who was bought to replace him and the fact we had Europe to contend with.
if RDZ was under illusion that the club didn't sell players like Caicedo , Ben White and McAllister as a strategy every year and that Bloom wasn't going to overspend , especially on players who have limited resell value - then i'd be amazed. He knows the score.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Even if the club are relying on the injured players to come back (which is foolish as there is a good chance we’ll pick up more injuries based on the number of matches we have left) we are desperately short in several positions (right back, centre midfield, wings). I would have thought our poor form over the last few months would have prompted some action so it’s been a highly disappointing transfer window.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I will be surprised if RDZ does not leave in the summer ,
the club have not replaced , our midfield trio of Mac , Moises and Enoch
ok we have signed a few players but no decent midfielders
we were also short of full backs at the beginning of the season still are
we are no where near the team we had last year , and I think RDZ has produced miracles this season

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
I will be surprised if RDZ does not leave in the summer ,
the club have not replaced , our midfield trio of Mac , Moises and Enoch
ok we have signed a few players but no decent midfielders
we were also short of full backs at the beginning of the season still are
we are no where near the team we had last year , and I think RDZ has produced miracles this season
I think it will be before the summer

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Squad is weaker now than it was last May despite us competing in the Europa knockouts amongst an injury crisis.

Best manager we've ever had, he's definitely not been properly backed. He's had a couple of good signings but it's not enough.

In his time at the club he's lost Colwill, Trossard, Mwepu, Caicedo and Mac Allister. And Sanchez but that one was on RDZ.

He'll be gone in the summer and it will be fascinating to see the spin about how it was RDZs fault, looks like it's already starting from the usual suspects. Maybe the club are briefing already

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017

It was obvious in the summer we’d not had a great window (outside of selling players), and the results since have shown the imbalanced squad he’s got to work with.

100%. In the summer once it became clear that Caicedo, Mac and Sanchez would be sold and we had already had the Mwepu news it was clear we needed:

-keeper
-left footed Centre back
-left back
-right back
-winger
-two central midfielders

We didn’t get a winger, a left back, a right back. The two central midfielders we got were both free transfers, one of whom being in (probably) the last season of his career and the other having made 10 appearances all season in 22/23. Not ready made replacements for £150m worth of talent.

The left centre back we got is not the one RDZ wanted, he wanted Colwill. He had also wanted the lad from Shaktar but we didn’t pay the money for him either.

We made around £175million from Sanchez, Caicedo and Mac to add to the White, Trossard, Burn, Maupay and Ostigard fees which were all £10m plus.

We didn’t back De Zerbi in the summer to challenge in four competitions and we haven’t made up for it in January.

Meanwhile, Villa spent big and by comparison West Ham, who also lost their best player in Rice, brought in Ward-Prowse and Kudus amongst others.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
I get so sick of any criticism of the club being met with ‘trust Bloom’ ‘remember where we used to be’ etc. Those things can be true and yet they can appear to be wrong as well.

This window has been hugely disappointing for a number of reasons:

1. RDZ said he wanted players, specifically he mentioned wingers, he hasn’t been given them
2. There are gaping holes in the squad. Centre midfield is unbelievably short and for the next two games we don’t have a single winger (again).
3. Barber and Bloom are not beyond criticism, we all screamed for cover for Estupinan and then he gets injured and we suffer hugely. If feels like that now.

Very disappointing and also naive to expect all these injured players to come back and hit the ground running and/or not pick up further injuries.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Whilst I wanted a CM like KDH and am disappointed we look like we are done for the window, I don't get all the "back RDZ", and "he's going to walk" nonsense. If he walked he'd kill his chances at a big job and frankly he signed up to our club and the way we do things so asking for 4 first team additions was silly.

Perhaps he was looking for a middle ground compromise, but got zero? I’m not sure if Barco counts?

On your overall point, it’s more a case of giving a manager/coach we universally thought was brilliant, the tools to help win most of the next circa 20 games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here