Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your biggest Albion underachiever

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
I am tempted to say Teddy Maybank. But it was disappointment rather than underachievement. He just turned out not to be as good as we had hoped (or had been promised), and the partnership with Peter Ward never really materialised.

Agreed!

I think Teddy's ego was a major part of the problem. Inside and outside the club.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
An Oxford Utd player name of Branch, if memory serves.
He turned us down, thought himself too good for Brighton.
His talents never rose high enough to prove him right!

Kevin Brock, wasn't it?

Oops, seen the response. His bad backpass proved the launch pad for Everton's revival in the mid 1980s.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Ian Muir. 2 sub appearances with us to become Tranmere's all time record goalscorer. Not his fault but I fancy, given a proper chance, he would have done the business here.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Gordon Smith.

Oh ok, I guess he scored about 20 goals for us in total, so not a complete disaster, but I'll never forgive him.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Stephen Dobbie based on the fact he had recently been very good quite consistently at the top end of the Championship. Seems he never wanted to be here.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I think people are mainly just listing people who were crap for us. When I saw the thread header the first name that came to mind was Nicky Rust. When he made his debut with us at 18 years old I thought he was a really good keeper, England youth international, and he did well under Brady. But he only played two games after he left us in 98 and retired at 24, very young for a keeper.
His was probably one of a few careers hurt by being at Brighton during 96-98

Good call, didn't he come from Arsenal? I remember being excited at the time.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Craig Davies
Liam Dickenson
James Tunicliffe

I remember being pretty excited about signing these players, it was the first time in a while we had thrown some money around and, well they were all SHITHOUSE.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Not that I ever saw him play (not sure anyone did actually), and he's obviously a very recent example, but there was such a frenzy when Roland Bergkamp was announced he'd have to be up there surely? Corner is also one for me, a lot of people thought so much of him but for me it was a rare treat when he put a shift in.

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
Farrington arrived from the dutch top flight and played like he'd eaten his own weight in chips before every game.
Mcloud (sic)the short dumpy irish winger adams bought in for his ill fated second spell never failed to flatter to deceive.
CMS of late given the record transfer. Watched the end of season dvd the other day with a mate who found it hilarious that when asked what he could bring to the team he said that he liked to run around a lot!

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
Still, old Ted did get as many goals as the much more celebrated Wardy in the League season that Brighton were promoted from Div Two. Can't have been all bad.

And he scored Brighton's first ever goal in the top flight, which is a pretty good achievement.

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
I'd say Tony Vessey, but it wasn't really his fault. Had the misfortune of being a central defender when Lawrenson, Foster and Stevens were in the squad. Ended up playing in Crawley's back four with Tommy Warrilow's mullet, for those of you who remember the Town Mead days.

Richard Tiltmans Shin Pad

Rustingtons' Mr Guiness
Jan 10, 2012
North Stand, Row Q
Graham Barrett. On loan from Arsenal. Striker. 1 goal in 30 appearances.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here