Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your best memory of the Goldstone Ground.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
The match against Watford when we were became the last ever Champions of Division Three South and gained our first promotion. Five goals from Adrian Thorne.
I also remember in those early days the prominent hollow near the SE corner flag which in later years was levelled off.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I don't have a best memory, but one I'm sure we'll all remember forever, walking down Old Shoreham Road and seeing the floodlights over the North Stand bowed down towards the pitch, I miss that sight :(

Good call, seeing the floodlights even on a non match day was always a good sight.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
"as much as it has memories it was a dump"

No way! Football was like that then - it was home, our temple & we loved it. I still find myself calling The Amex Goldstone in unguarded (and senior) moments. My first game, a midweek night , Alan Gilliver scored a hat-trick in a 4-0 victory over Halifax Town and I was hooked.

The sounds, sights and smells live on for me, The greasy burger stands, hot bovril at half time, the pungent aroma of tobacco smoke from the crowd and wintergreen from the players if you stood near the West Stand tunnel. That character who used to stand at the top of the East Terrace and shout in a booming voice "Wakey Wakey!" when the game got quiet ........Ah, nostalgia is great ...

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
BHA 2 Liverpool 0 in the 1984 FA Cup, Deano's free kick vs Ipswich 91, Fans Utd - Real Madrid want Archer out, beating Cardiff & Peterborough 5-0 in the mid 70s, Storer!, the gates clanking shut behind us as we squeezed in for 2-1 v Blackpool in 1978, even 2-3 re Darlo, 9 points adrift and sitting in the OSR afterwards in 96 in a weird way, they are all up there.

But inviting my 2 school friends who'd never been, a pre match picnic made by my Mum on the East Terrace, standing on wooden boxes my Dad had made, thinking we'd lost, then witnessing the ultimate redemption comeback with two goals from super sub ginger prince Eric Potts in the last 5 mins to beat Sunderland 2-1 is my favourite. Div 2, 1978

Feb 14, 2010
Not the best memory, but right for today, the game after Hillsborough. The North Stand sang "You'll Never Walk Alone" as a mark of respect. We had Watford I think.

Feb 14, 2010
Lots of wins over Palace and a great FA Cup win over Pompey. Arsenal in the Cup and seeing a certain Chief Executive being chased out of the ground were pretty memorable. I'm not sure if the York game was a favourite memory or a worse memory. Very proud to be a Brighton fan that day. The press didnt know what to say.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Late 70s night games. Big crowds, amazing atmosphere. Great Days. 1965-65 was pretty special too.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Not so much memories of games as there are loads of highlights as well as lowlights. But memories of going with my late dad are the most precious.
It has to be this. I started in the Chicken Run with my dad 1964-65, always with a flask of hot something (when it was freezing there was a little warmer added). I moved to the North in my teens, then later the South, then south-west, but near the end of the Goldstone I was back with my dad in the Chicken Run. It was a shame my dad never saw the Amex, he would have loved it.

Feb 14, 2010
It has to be this. I started in the Chicken Run with my dad 1964-65, always with a flask of hot something (when it was freezing there was a little warmer added). I moved to the North in my teens, then later the South, then south-west, but near the end of the Goldstone I was back with my dad in the Chicken Run. It was a shame my dad never saw the Amex, he would have loved it.

Probably the best post I have ever read on NSC. This is what the Albion and all football clubs are about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here