Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your best memory of the Goldstone Ground.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I echo most of these although Bill Cassidy and Bobby Smith were before my time. I might add:
Kit Napier scoring from a corner..
Fozzie marshalling the defence walking up the pitch with his arms out to get the team to move out of defence.
Alan Duffy's opening goal. I thought we had signed our own George Best.
Wardy emerging from being surrounded by three players on the half way line in front of the West stand, then scoring.
Lawro outpacing £1m superstar Trevor Francis to cleanly take the ball from behind after a 40 yard chase.
Alex Dawson bundling everyone over the line with the ball to score.
Ken Beamish headers.
John Templeman shooting over the bar almost every time.
Hans Kraay jumping up and down.
Paul Clark and his crunching tackles.
My dad pushing me through the turnstiles for free so we could watch from the North Stand
Walking with him and Mrs Earle down Onslow Rd, across Hove Park to the matches.
Peter and Enid who sat next to us in Div 1 when we got seats in the South Stand
Wardy's goal against Man U. I wasn't there as in hospital for the birth of our first Junior Seagull.
The fantastic day the club gave us against Blackburn Rovers when our son was mascot and Kenny Dalglish was their manager.
Howard Wilkinson going down the right wing and my mate saying 'he could trip over a matchstick'
Queuing behind the West Stand for Cup Final tickets
Digging up the turf where Stuart Stoer scored our final goal at the Goldstone, and planting it at home..

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Oh, and Mrs Earle fainting while watching us against Bobby Charlton's Preston and us walking round the inner perimeter to the St John room under the West Stand

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Impossible to choose there are so many -- Sammy Morgan scoring twice against Palace, 7-0 v Walsall, pitch invasion after beating Sheff Wed to win promotion,
Lawro's goal against Wolves.....

all of these plus Dean Wilkins free-kick vs Ipswich in the last minute.

I loved the Goldstone. My only sad point is that my son never went, so will never appreciate quite how special it was. He does have the comparison of Withdean and The Amex though.

aliakbanrafsanjali

Dec 29, 2012
Going to the Goldstone meant Spending quality time with my dad who worked all the hours he could, but as previously mentioned the Gary Williams goal v Nottingham Forrest and Alan Mullery running on the pitch at the final whistle and jumping on Gary Williams is a glorious memory!
Loads of great times and memorys that I truly treasure!

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
The special 'crackle' in the air when we scored.

Chapper's equalising thunderbolt v Bournemouth in a memorable 3-3 in the early 90's.

Kurt Nogan looking like scoring at every opportunity.

For some reason watching a 5-3 reverse against Cardiff City from the rain soaked East Terrace. A Nogan hat-trick or brace and him being rightly applauded by the Cardiff fans for playing them on his own.

Stuffing Crawley 5-0 in the FA Cup 3rd round in front of 18,000. First time I saw such a crowd at the Goldstone.

The memorable replay against Liverpool when we lost 3-2.

Could go on and on and on....

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
North stand surges so you could get a better view when everyone reassembled roughly from where they started!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My strongest memory is my first game watching the Albion. 33000+ crowd for an evening game in Div 3 vs Crystal Palace. My first sight of a lush green pitch and a packed crowd, under floodlights. The whiff of pipe tobacco on the terraces. The 2-0 win made it a perfect first game.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The first time i went i was sat on the wall at the bottom of the North Stand and saw Alex Dawson attacking a corner right in front of me. One of the most exciting/frightening things i have ever seen, and i was hooked forever.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
My first game at the age of 11ish - the point of no return. I'd supported the club on paper since I was 5 or 6 so my brother took me as a treat. We were playing Blackburn in the 3rd round of the FA Cup. At that time Blacburn were one of the top first division clubs in the country with players like Bryan Douglas and Ronnie Clayton playing for them. It was a cold, grey, slightly misty day and there were 26,000 in the ground. We lost 3-0 but the noise, the smells, the atmosphere, seeing my heroes live and my dawning realisation that this was to be my team forever made an indelible impression on me. The fact that we lost but that my loyalty was confirmed was good psychological preparation for the next 50 years!!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Impossible to choose there are so many -- Sammy Morgan scoring twice against Palace, 7-0 v Walsall, pitch invasion after beating Sheff Wed to win promotion,
Lawro's goal against Wolves, Wardy's goal against Blackpool, Nelson's goal against Arsenal, Fans United, York pitch invasion, Nigel Erskine's Klinsmann dive.....

God yes, that Palace night game. We always used to say from the west that a good crowd was when the aisles on the East terrace were well defined. A great crowd was when there were no aisles. What a night that was. What an atmosphere. Something the youngsters of today will never know- mores the pity.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Very difficult to pick a best memory as so many good ones.

Just being at The a Goldstone with my late dad is a good memory, I'm very lucky he took me as a young lad as the Albion were not his team and he also took me to see his team Spurs, but it was the Albion for me.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Running on the pitch and getting Bill Cassidy's tie up hence the name, hung over my bed for years
That guy was a comedian, but a 100% trier. Cannot remember which game it was ...it was very muddy and Bill ran to get the ball,he slipped over on his face...using his arms in a swimming motion,heading the ball forward towards goal.Shame about what happened to him,but still a good memory.
Like most people who went there there are good memories...first match 1958,first promotion. Favourite season,64/65. Bobby Smith,although not top goalscorer...all 5 forwards reached double figures...including Bill who came in if a forward got injured....but all said and done,as much as it has memories it was a dump and it's great to have the Amex.:)

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Very difficult to pick a best memory as so many good ones.

Just being at The a Goldstone with my late dad is a good memory, I'm very lucky he took me as a young lad as the Albion were not his team and he also took me to see his team Spurs, but it was the Albion for me.

Exactly this for me, although replace Spurs with Barnsley.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
That final goal against Doncaster. I can still give myself goosepimples just thinking about it. That and Reinelt the next week are the purest forms of sporting elation I can think of.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Being a younger fan that some i first went with my old man in the early 90s. Good memories as he worked a lot of the time and was one of the times could spend quality tome with him. Some great days there.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
I don't have a best memory, but one I'm sure we'll all remember forever, walking down Old Shoreham Road and seeing the floodlights over the North Stand bowed down towards the pitch, I miss that sight :(

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
The league cup games against Ipswich and Derby in the 76-77 season were probably my best memories, along with the 7-0 against Walsall and the Williams goal against Forest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here