Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Younger generations of Albion fans coming through

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I was pretty surprised at your previous statement that you dropped little kids from the team, if their parents dared to shout advice from the sidelines, but this is a whole other level.

Amazing.

Where did I say that ?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My son wears the stripes training with Cardiff, the coach thinks its brilliant.

:lolol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Where did I say that ?

I really don't have the inclination to go searching for the relevant thread on youth football, but yes, that's exactly what you said - that if any parent tried to tell their own kid what to do on the field, you dropped them from the team, to teach the parents a lesson.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That was instruction as opposed to encouragement which are two different things

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

But why is that the child's fault?

Would not having a word with their parent been a smarter move? Getting support from the club to ban the parent if they continued? None of which would have prevented the child from playing football.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

As I said - 'advice'.

But either way - advice / encouragement / instruction - it makes little difference to my point. That you'd punish the child, for what you percieved as the 'crime' of the parent. My two lads have had, and continue to get, a huge amount of enjoyment, and important life lessons from football. I'm genuinely relieved that they've both had the pleasure of learning from excellent kids' coaches, who were involved for all the right reasons, rather than some weird ego trip.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I'm sure.

Seriously though - you were there coaching a bunch of 7 or 8 year olds. You were there to organise training and hopefully introduce them to the basics of the game, and more importantly, to ensure they enjoyed themselves. Not to ban them from joining in if they had the 'wrong' colour shirt on.

Except it's probably bullshit anyway.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Helps there's no more bloody Man United gift shop on Western Rd anymore.

Don't see any Pompey shirts in Worthing anymore either, ha.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Very nice too see, I have myself noticed in Worthing that more of the kids, actually I would say the majority are now wearing Albion shirts not only in training, but other places. When I was a kid (sadly not anymore), at least 75% of us at school that followed football were Brighton fans. That is what it should be, a Sussex Community club. Makes me laugh seeing people moaning on here about lack of ambition etc, when we are probably supporting the most ambitious club in the UK, look how far we have came in the last 5/6 years, amazing and the local kids of today are in for a treat.

When you were a kid, you had to keep running to the shelters when the zeppelins flew over!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
As a kid, Early 60s - decide if I wanted to go to match. Cost one or two shillings (about one week's pocket money). Walk to ground, pay at turnstile. Programme 6d. Go more or less anywhere in the ground, with my mates. Could go at other end at half time if I wanted.
Today, need access to internet and a parent who is keen enough to get access to tickets and pay loads more in terms of travel, ticket and programme. Stuck in a seat with people they are landed with. Difficult to get tickets near mates.
As a kid the experience of watching wouldn't have been much different - supporting your team through thick and thin. Old experience probably better as you could go to any area that suited you - singing or next to the pitch on halfway.
It's going to be tough for the Albion to get kids there when gates start dropping and there are seats available. They do what they can with local youth clubs occupying the new NE corner but these are discounted and do not reflect the real cost of kids going to matches.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
NSC where EGO is everything with a fair amount of well known posters.
You use the board to score points off each other while the rest of us :yawn:
If some of you were in the same room together you would piss yourselves having to actually man up to all of your views.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As a youth coach we would take 50 tickets at withdean for our team/parents and siblings,not sure the club would be as helpful now. They are too big to think about the new fans now,the seagull club is just a nuisance to club tbh

Schools & parents get special deals for matches. That's what the north west shelf is for at the Amex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here