Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] You should be targetting top 4 this season, minimum.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
If anyone had said last March (during the long winless run) that a year later a Champions League place would be a real possibility for Brighton, they would have been ridiculed. It's probably not going to happen, but the fact it could makes me so happy

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
FiveThirtyEight currently give us a 27% chance of a top 4 finish...

Ignore the order the teams are shown in - they have all of us, Newcastle and Liverpool finishing on 64 points, but the table doesn't seem to sort by Goal Difference which actually has Newcastle on +23, us on +22 and Liverpool on +21.

All of which means, we'd finish 6th, one goal behind Newcastle in fifth and one point behind Spurs in fourth.
They might just have to re-calculate Liverpool's goal difference now.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Honestly think the games in hand will be our downfall - crazy we had so much free time in recent weeks and it looks like we could be playing 2 games a week for 3 or 4 weeks to my untrained eye?? Someone more on the ball than me could outline that schedule a bit better no doubt.
We have a brilliant first choice 11 and a good 5 or 6 back up but at that point it starts to be a question of experience.

All said and done I think we have a great chance of top6 but the schedule might wear us down

Went to the match yesterday. Mind blowing.
Most of the top teams will be playing two times a week as they will be competing in Europe

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Think todays a reminder of the teams we’re competing with up there… punching well above our weight. The aim has to be Europe now we’re up there, but that’s still a tall order. Just keep going and enjoying it - best season ever in the top flight regardless…

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Think todays a reminder of the teams we’re competing with up there… punching well above our weight. The aim has to be Europe now we’re up there, but that’s still a tall order. Just keep going and enjoying it - best season ever in the top flight regardless…
I said to @AmexRuislip that Newcastle and Spuds are shit just now. Fightingcock this evening, we’re referenced repeatedly as a danger, in their fury with Conte.

https://thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/the-race-for-4th.43533/page-318

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You don't get a place that way, it goes to the league (I imagine someone's already said this)
I read that too fast and wondered why you were making a fish pun.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If anyone had said last March (during the long winless run) that a year later a Champions League place would be a real possibility for Brighton, they would have been ridiculed. It's probably not going to happen, but the fact it could makes me so happy
Swansman would have been giving it large to the Potter Outs, blissfully unaware that it would take him going to make it happen.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
It is possible. Requires a lot of factors going our way. Injuries being avoided. Poor referring decisions not negatively affecting results. Other teams not improving. Liverpool showed what they can do today. Squad depth may also be a factor. We’ve got a lot of games piling up fast. Will be tricky to be optimally competitive in all of them!

If offered 6th (and thus European football) right now, I’ll take it!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Did you watch today’s game with Bob?
Yep. He's under the weather so that cheered him up hugely.

(I didn't have the heart to tell him that, as BHA look to the European places, I was banking on a draw :lolol:)

:thumbsup:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Champions League qualification odds - Betfred

Arsenal 1/500
Man City 1/500
Man Utd 1/12
Spurs 7/4
Liverpool 13/8
Newcastle 7/4
Brighton 7/1
Chelsea 33/1
Fulham 66/1
Not saying we will do it, but at those odds we are definitely the value bet. I just don't think there is much between the chances of Spurs, Newcastle, Liverpool and Brighton, yet the other three are very close in the betting and we're not.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I said to @AmexRuislip that Newcastle and Spuds are shit just now. Fightingcock this evening, we’re referenced repeatedly as a danger, in their fury with Conte.

https://thefightingcock.co.uk/forum/threads/the-race-for-4th.43533/page-318
😳😳

9BD6F8B2-B503-4C4D-9842-38FF1A8B3C2A.png

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
From a purely mathematical POV, if all the top 8 teams (including us) win all their games in hand, we'll be joint 4th on points with Newcastle (but probably behind them on GD).

I know that's an extremely unlikely scenario, but it does show that top 4 is more than possible this season.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
From a purely mathematical POV, if all the top 8 teams (including us) win all their games in hand, we'll be joint 4th on points with Newcastle (but probably behind them on GD).

I know that's an extremely unlikely scenario, but it does show that top 4 is more than possible this season.
I think as one of our games in hand is against Newcastle, if we win that one we would be 4th outright.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here