Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

You are the ref.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Surprised nobody has mentioned 'Sneaky' George Parris's goal from the '90s.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

So, having watched that video again, can we stop the "and he didn't even take penalties!" line. There are a lot of penalties in that video. Paul Watson was primary taker, granted, but Bobby took A LOT. It's amazing that he's a completely different player now. Whoever told him to become a big strong targetman ruined his career.

Dec 29, 2011
So, having watched that video again, can we stop the "and he didn't even take penalties!" line. There are a lot of penalties in that video. Paul Watson was primary taker, granted, but Bobby took A LOT. It's amazing that he's a completely different player now. Whoever told him to become a big strong targetman ruined his career.

So pacey back then, but I think everyone naturally loses their pace with age (Owen, Torres). Maybe turning into a big target man was the only thing that saved his career :)

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I dont think you could call being a consistant Premier League starter and getting England call ups and a European final a 'ruined' carrer.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
When I saw that Agger 'goal' last night it reminded me of one on match of the day about 30 years ago when Gary Crosby - a nippy little winger who played for Forest at the time - headed it off of a keepers hand and tapped it in. That goal was given and during the debate at the time there was talk of making the laws clearer.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
B Without a shadow of doubtb although the has the ball in one hand he still has control of it.

Spot on. I don't even know why the question was deemed to be worth asking, unless it was a test to see how many football fans don't actually know the Laws of the Game? (In which case it seems to have worked!)

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
The old law inevitably led to a great deal of contention about whether the keeper was in control of the ball or not. The current rule brooks no doubt - the keeper is always deemed to be in control of the ball once he has taken possession of it and until he releases it. The absolute clarity has to be a good thing although the original rules (pre-1960's) when a keeper was fair game to be knocked into the net ball and all and no question it was a perfectly decent goal were much more fun :lolol:

And the reason Alex Dawson was such a prolific scorer.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Surprised nobody has mentioned 'Sneaky' George Parris's goal from the '90s.

That's because the keeper wasn't holding the ball, it was on the ground.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The old law inevitably led to a great deal of contention about whether the keeper was in control of the ball or not. The current rule brooks no doubt - the keeper is always deemed to be in control of the ball once he has taken possession of it and until he releases it. The absolute clarity has to be a good thing although the original rules (pre-1960's) when a keeper was fair game to be knocked into the net ball and all and no question it was a perfectly decent goal were much more fun :lolol:

I can remember one of our keepers pushed over the line at Grimsby in the mud, which resulted in the goal being allowed. It was the day of the Prescott Valentines card (2004?).

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
So another scenario that we cannot score a goal from :lol:

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
A its been done before

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
So pacey back then, but I think everyone naturally loses their pace with age (Owen, Torres). Maybe turning into a big target man was the only thing that saved his career :)

Possibly that, but he could have been so much more. With his millions in the bank, I'm sure he's not too concerned about it.

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
By that reasoning, Keepers should be allowed to pick the ball up when kicked back to them by a team mate, because that was done before.

If its been done before and recently too and goals have been allowed then it has to be answer A doesnt it !!
THINK ABOUT IT !!!

Phat Baz 68

Apr 16, 2011
By that reasoning, Keepers should be allowed to pick the ball up when kicked back to them by a team mate, because that was done before.

If its been done before and recently too and goals have been allowed then it has to be answer A doesnt it !!
THINK ABOUT IT !!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here