Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Yorkshire cricket.end off

Jan 30, 2008
It came in very handy after the 1950s, though, making the country absurdly disproportionately represented by white players.

That said, the numbers of 2nd and 3rd and 4th generation British Asians in county cricket is ludicrously low.

Below is the current Surrey squad. That's the county that covers Lambeth, Southwark, Croydon....

Only 2 out of 27 have a British Asian background, and one of those is calley Ryan!

View attachment 141868

And here is Warwickshire, a county heaving with British Asians. One out of 25.

View attachment 141869

This isn't like football which has little traction in the 'former colonies'.

I smell institutional racism :shrug:

You would, I'm surprised you haven't mentioned white privileges? maybe you could contact the relevant clubs and make a formal complaint if that's going to make you feel better about yourself
Regards
DF

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What ever turns you on
Regards
DF

You would, I'm surprised you haven't mentioned white privileges? maybe you could contact the relevant clubs and make a formal complaint if that's going to make you feel better about yourself
Regards
DF

You don't follow cricket. You have no interest here apart from spouting your bile.

Go back to the pit. It was created for you.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
https://youtu.be/DMBIPd5JSiw

How far do we go back?

30 years ago but was prime time ITV, pre recorded so got passed by the censor.

What chance has Vaughan got, it’s 12 years ago, it’s a recollection of a conversation that is now being reported, he says one thing the other parties say something else.

At some point will there have to be some kind of statutory limitation otherwise all sorts of conversations from years ago can be revisited, and careers finished. That might please many on here and wider afield, but where does it stop?

There’s a infamous fans meeting in the Goldstone Boardroom from 1992, do we include that?

Jan 30, 2008

How far do we go back?

What chance has Vaughan got, it’s 12 years ago, it’s a recollection of a conversation that is now being reported, he says one thing the other parties say something else.

At some point will there have to be some kind of statutory limitation otherwise all sorts of conversations from years ago can be revisited, and careers finished. That might please many on here and wider afield, but where does it stop?

There’s a infamous fans meeting in the Goldstone Boardroom from 1992, do we include that?

Cancel culture and third party allegations take a lot of it with a pinch of salt

Regards
DF

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
There is a chapter in Frank Worrall's autobiography (those too young can Google him) "Cricket Punch" about playing against Surrey in 1957 which doesn't make edifying reading, even by the standards of those unenlightened times.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

How far do we go back?

You don't do yourself any favours by conflating how long ago it was with his denial of having said what two people accuse him of saying. Which is it, not offensive 12 years ago or not true?

If Vaughan called someone a 'paki' as 'bantz' 12 years ago, when he was 35 years old, he can expect trouble.

That said, innocent until proven guilty. That goes for Jay Rodriguez too :shrug:

I agree with your point that what was acceptable once may not be acceptable now, but I doubt many people, apart from the likes of Das Reich, would call someone a 'paki' even 30 years ago, let alone 12.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
You don't do yourself any favours by conflating how long ago it was with his denial of having said what two people accuse him of saying. Which is it, not offensive 12 years ago or not true?

If Vaughan called someone a 'paki' as 'bantz' 12 years ago, when he was 35 years old, he can expect trouble.

That said, innocent until proven guilty. That goes for Jay Rodriguez too :shrug:

I agree with your point that what was acceptable once may not be acceptable now, but I doubt many people, apart from the likes of Das Reich, would call someone a 'paki' even 30 years ago, let alone 12.

I'm going to show my utter ignorance here, or perhaps naivety here. I always referred to the corner shop as the 'P... shop'. I would also refer to the take away as the 'Chinky'

It was only about 15 years ago that I was corrected.

That may come as a surprise, but when someone has never used such terms with malice or antipathy and has never been corrected then there should be reasoning.

I remember being told that 'Chinky' was offensive. I was quite taken aback, even offended, to think that I could be construed as having a racist attitude. For me it was an affectionate term. I really liked the family that ran the store. So there you go, context and intent. Obviously, I didn't use it after that, but was quite stunned by the whole thing.

So, from my own experience, this is why I try to cut through the whole thing. But in the event of confusion here is my summary:

1) Racism is unacceptable, as is prejudice.
2) Words have different contexts in different situations and amongst different people. What two people say in private consensual conversation is no-one else's business.
3) People should be educated in proper address and sensitivity. But what happened at a time when things were culturally different should remain in that time. If it was acceptable then it is still acceptable in its original context, just not in a modern one.
4) My biggest frustration is the hypocrisy of all this. Rather than addressing the situation, some folk have loaded agendas. And the absolutist view of things is riding over reason. Some folk may have done wrong, but they didn't mean to. I know that last sentence may be contentious but I am not withdrawing it.
5) [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION] did make some valid points. I don't agree with him on a lot of stuff, but he is highlighting another angle. It's just a shame PPF 'liked' the entry, but I'm sure Lenny will get over it. PPF liked a post of mine once and I washed my hands afterwards.
6) Changing words doesn't change attitudes. The Daily Mail uses the right words. As a youngster I had a racist attitude, it was injected into me. The same goes for most of us. You can get all your words right but that doesn't change you. Up until relatively recently I was using the wrong words, but I sorted a lot of my attitudes out. Can others who always use the correct terms say that ? People need to look inside rather than out. But a lot of folk don't want to do that, because it's painful.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Did anyone watch aggers on breakfast time BBC TV today?

If you get a chance check it out on I player.

Really interesting comments about the treatment of black players when he played and how nowadays there is a total lack of English born affro Caribbean players playing for the test team!

Of course Joffre was born in the WI

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
To further demonstrate how times have changed, take a look at the song Melting Pot by Blue Mink, in this anti racist anthem the lead singer Madeleine Bell sings about, curly latin kinkies, red indians and yellow chinkies.

This must have been released about 50 years ago, times really have changed.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Did anyone watch aggers on breakfast time BBC TV today?

If you get a chance check it out on I player.

Really interesting comments about the treatment of black players when he played and how nowadays there is a total lack of English born affro Caribbean players playing for the test team!

Of course Joffre was born in the WI

In the early 2000s, I remember lamenting the lack of black players coming through the system. In the 90s it was Asians. I thought the Asian numbers were up, but I'm a bit out of touch and it seems I was wrong.

Why this is, I'm not sure. Some will try and posture on the back of the Yorkshire thing, but I think the reality is a cultural one. I'd like to think that counties like Surrey and Middlesex are onto it. That's where most of the black guys came from. But again, I don't know what their community programmes are like.

The issue here may have something to do where cricket is being played now. So many come from private education (just look at Sussex). How many inner city schools have cricket equipment let alone a teacher who is keen ?

The only reason I love cricket is because of a cricket mad teacher in my junior school. If it hadn't been for that I would be passing this thread.

So the whole issue is very complex. But it's important not to allow people to infer that the lack of players of colour in cricket is to do with racism, that's a cheap shot, it is very complex and I wish it had been gotten hold off a long time ago. The game would be so much richer (and perhaps the kiss me quick version of the game wouldn't have gained such a hold).

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Yorkshire CCC has been full of racists for decades and Michael Vaughan is a bellend.... who’d ever have thought that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here