Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yet more demands for special treatment from muslims

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
On my mobile so could not look properly but had a shufti at the Burbage cemetery site. It had a pdf section on Muslim burial, though no special sections for other multi faiths. Could not open pdf to see what privileges the Muslim faith is afforded

None really, other than the council will attempt to bury the deceased within 24 hours subject to certain time factors such as weekends and bank holidays, plus they allow burials without coffins, providing the person did not die of a notifiable disease and that the body is covered in timber prior to backfill.

Also, not sure how the Smith family managed to hand pick a site as the council guidelines state that the plots are allocated in sequence with no opportunity for selection.

D

Deleted member 22389

We have so many other religions in this country, it only seems to be this religion that requires most of the change.
What happens when you don't personally agree with it, your then branded Islamphobic. Religion vs democracy.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
It's ridiculous how this is news worthy - and sad how people like the OP use it to peddle an anti-Muslim sentiment.

It's just a dispute between two faiths/families. I think people have every right to be particular about how and where loved ones are buried.

I don`t see it as being anti Muslim or Gypsy..Perhaps more has been made of their backgrounds than need be...I just see it as being ridiculous to worry about whose next to you in cemetery....Where do you stop...

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
When I'm dead, I sincerely hope that my nearest and dearest, while remembering me and thinking fondly of my life, will not give a tinker's t*ss about what happens to my decaying corpse (which I assume, in any case, will be burned and the ashes sent to landfill).

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
None really, other than the council will attempt to bury the deceased within 24 hours subject to certain time factors such as weekends and bank holidays, plus they allow burials without coffins, providing the person did not die of a notifiable disease and that the body is covered in timber prior to backfill.

Also, not sure how the Smith family managed to hand pick a site as the council guidelines state that the plots are allocated in sequence with no opportunity for selection.

So probably this Muslim family causing a stir then. Hopefully the council will not back down otherwise this will set a trend and yet more erosion.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
It's ridiculous how this is news worthy - and sad how people like the OP use it to peddle an anti-Muslim sentiment.

It's just a dispute between two faiths/families. I think people have every right to be particular about how and where loved ones are buried.

"How" presumably to the Muslim families wishes (otherwise i am sure we would have heard)..."Where" presumably the same as all the other faiths in this cemetery, in the next plot available and not really worried who is buried "adjacent " to them.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton

I just read that bit too. It appears that the cemetery has just copied and pasted the standard guidelines. The cemetery does seem to make a big deal of being accommodating of peoples wishes, so it does seem entirely believable that they would agree to a small Muslim only section.
To those shouting unsegregated again the blurb only states that the ground is unconsecrated, no mention of unsegregated.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
You would imagine that if they were such strict adherents to Islam they would have secured a plot in a dedicated Islamic burial area of which there are a number in the Leicester area. The alternative painful option is to exhume their family member. It's a horrible situation for everyone. Loss and the accompanying grief are not good friends to sensible decision making.
The council will need to take care. Disrespecting Roma beliefs and traditions may cause them more problems than they would imagine if they think this is the easy option. Unfortunately I have a good friend on Burbage town council. I feel for him if he is involved in this one. Rarely has "the judgement of Solomon" felt more appropriate.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I just read that bit too. It appears that the cemetery has just copied and pasted the standard guidelines. The cemetery does seem to make a big deal of being accommodating of peoples wishes, so it does seem entirely believable that they would agree to a small Muslim only section.
To those shouting unsegregated again the blurb only states that the ground is unconsecrated, no mention of unsegregated.
taken from the Telegraph : Burbage parish council confirmed that the cemetery is unsegregated, adding that: “So that people of all denominations can use Burbage Cemetery, the graveyard ground at Lychgate Lane is unconsecrated.”

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Yes there are many assumptions. £20 to remf says I'm right if the full story ever comes out.
I know what unsegregated means, but there are degrees of segregation and many multi faith cemeteries have some degree of segregation.
If the Muslim family buried their father in a Muslim section of the cemetery in good faith with the understanding that the remaining vacant plots before some form of break, such as a path, would also be filled by Muslims I fail to see how they are being unreasonable.
Ill take you up on that .

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
The story is VERY one sided IMO. It may be the case that the Muslim family were told and believed this wouldn’t happen, the story does briefly suggest this. Also that the Muslim family knew this may happen four days before the burial but it still went ahead as planned, they something out prior to this, some form of segregation maybe, whatever that would entail.

IMO it looks like someone has massively cocked up from an official perspective and now both families are obviously angry.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

Its that anti muslim sentiment that probably led to the killings of 3 American muslim teens yesterday. Not as news worthy as funeralgate obviously.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
The story is VERY one sided IMO. It may be the case that the Muslim family were told and believed this wouldn’t happen, the story does briefly suggest this. Also that the Muslim family knew this may happen four days before the burial but it still went ahead as planned, they something out prior to this, some form of segregation maybe, whatever that would entail.

IMO it looks like someone has massively cocked up from an official perspective and now both families are obviously angry.

Yes, but it is 'proof' to NSC's little Englander of creeping Sharia.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Its that anti muslim sentiment that probably led to the killings of 3 American muslim teens yesterday. Not as news worthy as funeralgate obviously.

Nice try to turn that incident into your specific anti-Muslim Westerners agenda but they were murdered for being religious rather than Muslim. The murderer had also posted lots of anti-Christian sentiments on social media and was a member of Atheists for Equality on Facebook.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2948803/Man-arrested-3-shot-death-North-Carolina.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ior-to-muslim-massmurder-arrest-10038126.html

And perhaps the kind of incident that will make the smug atheists on here get off their high horse when it comes to man's inhumanity to man.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

In the USA. Might be a reaction to the young American journalist lady killed by ISIS yesterday. I don't think things will go that far over a burial on a plot in a multi faith cemetery. I can not see the other many faiths families that are buried there complaining. Just a small minority as per usual.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Oh yes, its an 'agenda' haha

Yes, clearly you have an agenda. You take the murder of 3 muslims and your default position is that it was specifically because the murderer was anti-muslim (your words). If you had just read a bit more about the murders you'd see that the murderer had a problem with ALL religion not just Islam. You didn't though because of your agenda.

Sorry matey but you need more than a 'haha' to disguise this.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Nice try to turn that incident into your specific anti-Muslim Westerners agenda but they were murdered for being religious rather than Muslim. The murderer had also posted lots of anti-Christian sentiments on social media and was a member of Atheists for Equality on Facebook.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2948803/Man-arrested-3-shot-death-North-Carolina.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ior-to-muslim-massmurder-arrest-10038126.html

And perhaps the kind of incident that will make the smug atheists on here get off their high horse when it comes to man's inhumanity to man.

Thanks i was about to trawl the net looking for....Three killed in USA after burial in MULTI faith cemetery

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I took the story of the 3 muslims that had been murdered as the info i had from earlier this morning was just that...3 muslims murdered. Im sorry but ive been at work since, and the rest of the news trawled up by yourself, clearly you have an agenda, shows me the latest news. Thanks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here