Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Yet another seamer

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Nash scored 1 ton and 6 50s in 22 innings - that's one innings in every three scoring at least 50 - that sounds pretty consistent to me. In fact, Nash scored more scores above 50 than RHB, Yardy, Machan and Brown put together - I really think you've picked the wrong target there

Fair enough, I haven't got the figures in front of me and I discounted both RHB and Yardy because they were so poor.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Nash is a very talented batsman. But too often he doesn't do what openers are there for - see off the new ball and take out the strike bowlers so numbers 3,4,5 etc can fill their boots.

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
If Robbo can get these boys firing then next seasons pace attack is potentially going to be the second best in our history (Imran Khan and Garth La Roux being the best IMO).

With Tony Pigott first change. I used to love watching that side... the batting was awesome too - PWGP one of the great dashers of the era.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hamilton Brown is an absolute waste of space. Why is here there?

In my lifetime, no bowling attack has come close to Imran, leRoux (and Adrian Jones was pretty swift too).

If you had a special SCCC time machine, and you could go and get your 4 bowlers in their prime, who would you have?

For variety (just in my time watching - 1980 onwards)...

Imran
The Goff
Kirtley
Mushy

Hamilton Brown is an absolute waste of space. Why is here there?

In my lifetime, no bowling attack has come close to Imran, leRoux (and Adrian Jones was pretty swift too).

If you had a special SCCC time machine, and you could go and get your 4 bowlers in their prime, who would you have?

Imran
The Goff
Kirtley
Mushy

J A Snow would have to be in my quartet, probably for Kirtley.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Imran
The Goff
Kirtley
Mushy

You'd have to have Tate - he'd be a candidate for an all-time England list

I'd add Snow, Imran and Mushy to that
(and if you couldn't have Imran and Mushy as two overseas players, then it would be Thomson instead of Imran)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
J A Snow would have to be in my quartet, probably for Kirtley.

I was only picking from players I saw, and I never saw Snow - he retired when I was 6.

You'd have to have Tate - he'd be a candidate for an all-time England list

I'd add Snow, Imran and Mushy to that
(and if you couldn't have Imran and Mushy as two overseas players, then it would be Thomson instead of Imran)

Tate was about 50 years before my time!

(But yes, if its an all-time pick, then he's #1. Quite incredible career statistics. Scored 1,000 runs and took TWO hundred wickets, in three consecutive seasons. Amazing)

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
I was only picking from players I saw, and I never saw Snow - he retired when I was 6.

Tate was about 50 years before my time!

(But yes, if its an all-time pick, then he's #1. Quite incredible career statistics. Scored 1,000 runs and took TWO hundred wickets, in three consecutive seasons. Amazing)

I started watching in '82, so my four would be:

Imran
Mushtaq
Franklyn Stephenson
Kirtley

Batters:
PWGP
Wrighty
Gehan Mendis
CM Wells

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I started watching in '82, so my four would be:

Imran
Mushtaq
Franklyn Stephenson
Kirtley

Batters:
PWGP
Wrighty
Gehan Mendis
CM Wells

I'd forgotten Stephenson. That's not a bad call at all, actually.

The Goff probably brings more on a flat pitch (already have Immy for the pace) but your attack is pretty formidable.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I started watching in 65 so I'd have (sticking to just two overseas players)

Dexter
Mendis
Joyce
Goodwin
Parker
Greig
Prior
Imran
Snow
Thomson
Mushy

If you had unlimited overseas players then you could just pick Miandad, Wessels, Bevan, Di Venuto, Stephenson, Le Roux but there's been a limit of no more than two most of my lifespan so I'll stick with that

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Pity that no one has mentioned Jason Lewry - a great talent with a tremendous career average bowling on a true batting pitch most of the time.

I did actually consider him, in pace of Kirtley - to get a left armer in to add variety to my attack.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Joyce
Mendis
Adams
A Wells
Goodwin
Prior
Imran Khan
Mushtaq Ahmed
Kirtley
Magoffin
Lewry

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Joyce
Mendis
Adams
A Wells
Goodwin
Prior
Imran Khan
Mushtaq Ahmed
Kirtley
Magoffin
Lewry

I'd make three changes:

Le Roux for Kirtley
Arnold for Lewry
Gould for Prior

I might bring in John Barclay for Adams. David Smith was also a very good opener in a poor Sussex team.

Although my changes suggest I might be 5 or 6 years older than you. It's very subjective.

Last edited:

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Wells just signed new two year deal :clap2:

Good news.

My ideal bowling line up would be:

Imran
Mushy
Stephenson
The Goff
Robbo (an underrated bowler but could tie up one end and create pressure for the others to exploit).

Among my sporting fantasies I would love to see a few more overs from Imran in his pomp, coming down the hill from the Cromwell Road end, what a graceful athlete and such a superb bowling action. There was something majestically feline about his whole bowling style. I'd enjoy standing behind the bowlers arm and watch him unleash the occasional short ball, then slip in that devastating inswinging yorker. A real thoroughbred - I suspect that he rarely bowled beyond 90% of his capability for Sussex but God help the batsmen when he was really in the mood. I guess opposing batsmen would hope that Imran was having one of his disinterested days - but that nagging question should be in their minds '.....is he in the mood today?'. Fabulous.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Wardy in his prime - but at The Amex.....now that might just create a proper atmosphere. However he'd be wasted in our current team.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Wells just signed new two year deal :clap2:

That's good news - now he has build on his potential. He was spoken about as a future England player a couple of years ago and has dropped in the reckoning. Let's have another great season

BTW, I see that Mohammad Amir could be released early from his ban about the same time that the Goff becomes English, now there's a seamer who'd be brilliant in English conditions - have we room for another one?

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
That's good news - now he has build on his potential. He was spoken about as a future England player a couple of years ago and has dropped in the reckoning. Let's have another great season

BTW, I see that Mohammad Amir could be released early from his ban about the same time that the Goff becomes English, now there's a seamer who'd be brilliant in English conditions - have we room for another one?

I appreciate the excitement over the new signings, but I don't want anyone caught cheating playing county cricket let alone for Sussex. I actually feel sorry for Amir as he was clearly a naive youngster who got pressured by senior players, but the message has to be sent out, If you cheat you're not welcome back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here