Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Yet another seamer

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Our seamers were ok last year- only Anyon was out. But, at various stages, we were without Nash, Yardy, RHB, Prior and Wright (and lost Joyce and Machan to international calls) - we need more batsmen rather than seamers

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the new signings as they are very exciting, but you are absolutely right that it is our batting strength that is our weakness.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Just turn the Hove wicket in to a 'bumper' and we'll be good

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I would had thought Shazhad is just as much a replacement for Arafat as anything else? It's good to have another quality player for the four day side, but Arafat leaving meant we were well short in terms of one day bowlers (can be the only reason Liddle is still playing!).

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm guessing that this signing is made with limited overs matches in consideration.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
If they drop Buttler I think Bairstow is next in line.

I doubt it.

If Butler does have a wobble, Prior will probably get back in. England were desperate to retain him during the summer, as he is seen as part of the experienced spine of the side.

Bairstow hardly took his chance when he did replace Prior in Australia and seems to have disappeared off England's radar in all formats.

Is he in the Lions Squad going to South Africa?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I'm guessing that this signing is made with limited overs matches in consideration.

I think he is for all formats. He is fast, but squiddy, but can also reverse the ball.

That is why England liked him, but I think he is also not the most focused at times and can be his own worst enemy. Lets hope Robinson's knack of sorting out bowlers will kick in again.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I doubt it.

If Butler does have a wobble, Prior will probably get back in. England were desperate to retain him during the summer, as he is seen as part of the experienced spine of the side.

Bairstow hardly took his chance when he did replace Prior in Australia and seems to have disappeared off England's radar in all formats.

Yep. And he scored decent runs last season.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
With regard to the batting, I think it's ok but both Wells and Nash significantly under performed for the majority of the season and need to sort themselves out.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
I doubt it.

I agree, I think Prior will get another shot if Buttler gets injured. I think it's felt Bairstow has some technical deficencies in his game which is why he's fallen behind Buttler so quickly.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
With regard to the batting, I think it's ok but both Wells and Nash significantly under performed for the majority of the season and need to sort themselves out.

Our batting's not bad, we finished 3rd in the county championship so it can't be too bad. But we did suffer some awful early season collapses last year, and it probably lacks one or two top class batsman to put in a serious challenge for the title. I could see us finishing 3rd or 4th again.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
I wasn't saying we didn't have any batsman, just that batting has been our weakness in recent years. If we want to compete for honours that's where we need to strengthen. I think two top class batsman would make us serious contenders. However Prior playing more regularly for us would mean one top batsman might be enough.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Very harsh on Nash: he had no pre-season and missed a quarter of the games. Despite this, he scored nearly 900 runs and averaged just under 40, that's really not significantly under-performing. In fact, I'd say that given his illness, he slightly over-performed. Wells certainly could do better but, again, I'd question the word "significantly".

The players who really did under-perform were RHB and Yardy.

I'd also add that they're all batting geniuses if you look back 40 years when we had the likes of Morley, Groome, Faber and Graves playing for us

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Very harsh on Nash: he had no pre-season and missed a quarter of the games. Despite this, he scored nearly 900 runs and averaged just under 40, that's really not significantly under-performing. In fact, I'd say that given his illness, he slightly over-performed. Wells certainly could do better but, again, I'd question the word "significantly".

The players who really did under-perform were RHB and Yardy.

I'd also add that they're all batting geniuses if you look back 40 years when we had the likes of Morley, Groome, Faber and Graves playing for us

As I recall both Nash and Well's averages were considerably boosted by a couple of big scores. Other than that, and I accept what you say about Nash's early season, I don't think they performed particularly consistently or well

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Our seamers were ok last year- only Anyon was out. But, at various stages, we were without Nash, Yardy, RHB, Prior and Wright (and lost Joyce and Machan to international calls) - we need more batsmen rather than seamers

I don't disagree with you about batsmen. My point is that, in some 4 day games, only Magoffin has bowled like a Division 1 seamer. Hatchett has improved but is still a bit inconsistent. At times Hobden looks a genuine talent but he can be wayward and has had some injury problems.
I'd love to see the local boys make the grade but am delighted with the signings of Mills and Shahzad.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
If Robbo can get these boys firing then next seasons pace attack is potentially going to be the second best in our history (Imran Khan and Garth La Roux being the best IMO).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I accept what you say about Nash's early season, I don't think they performed particularly consistently or well

Nash scored 1 ton and 6 50s in 22 innings - that's one innings in every three scoring at least 50 - that sounds pretty consistent to me. In fact, Nash scored more scores above 50 than RHB, Yardy, Machan and Brown put together - I really think you've picked the wrong target there

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If Robbo can get these boys firing then next seasons pace attack is potentially going to be the second best in our history (Imran Khan and Garth La Roux being the best IMO).

cough... Tate and Gilligan

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here