Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yet another game without a goal for Barnes...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The other thing about him this season (don't know if this has been mentioned in the previous 17 pages) is that opposition managers evidently feel his lapsing into petulance is his undoing - and are targeting that. How many times was he strangled on Saturday? While he was of course a very silly boy last season (the root cause, I suspect, of many people's ire), we have had none of that this season.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I wish we had a thread like this for ALL of our players. I know Spanish Dave has one, but let's start a few others..

"Crofts. What's the point?"
"Upson - past it?"
"LuaLua has forgotten how to score - time to get rid."
''CONway - CRIMINAL passing.''
''Buckley will never score for Brighton again.''

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The other thing about him this season (don't know if this has been mentioned in the previous 17 pages) is that opposition managers evidently feel his lapsing into petulance is his undoing - and are targeting that. How many times was he strangled on Saturday? While he was of course a very silly boy last season (the root cause, I suspect, of many people's ire), we have had none of that this season.

He was excellent Saturday pure and simple.

I've not been on here all weekend, but I assume that is the general feeling. A brilliant centre forward performance for me, and as you say he channelled his aggression from start to finish. His work rate, quality of his running into space, his bringing others into the game. Well played Ash, we needed a massive game and you delivered.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Not sure who's worse - the Gus haters or the Barnes haters ......... only one way to find out .................

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
He was excellent Saturday pure and simple.

I've not been on here all weekend, but I assume that is the general feeling. A brilliant centre forward performance for me, and as you say he channelled his aggression from start to finish. His work rate, quality of his running into space, his bringing others into the game. Well played Ash, we needed a massive game and you delivered.

But he's obviously rubbish because Nigel Pearson reckons that they gifted us two goals, which would wipe out his first as being any good - didn't you see Mr P run out and put the ball at his feet. And then he all but missed the penalty. My granny could have done better, and she's been dead for 40 plus years.

Irony aside, He was great. A significant contribution to an all-round excellent team performance. We did more attacking with purpose in the first 5 minutes than we did in the whole of the first half against Barnsley.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I've always been a fan of Mr Barnes, mainly because he plays for the football team I support.

So he didn't really have any "winning over" to do for me, however I must say there was a 10 minute period where Barnes showed how far he has come.

We were under immense pressure at 2-1. All we were doing was smacking the ball out at Barnes FACE. He was somehow expected to control this, take it down, and wait for support which was a near on impossible job if you're not ZLATAN.

Despite this not ONCE did he lose his head at his teammates or the situation. He just kept plugging away. Queue him winning a free kick and allowing the game to settle.

He then won a pen and scored it. Seemed justice for the maturity and hard work he displayed when he was doing a thankless task.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I've always been a fan of Mr Barnes, mainly because he plays for the football team I support.

So he didn't really have any "winning over" to do for me, however I must say there was a 10 minute period where Barnes showed how far he has come.

We were under immense pressure at 2-1. All we were doing was smacking the ball out at Barnes FACE. He was somehow expected to control this, take it down, and wait for support which was a near on impossible job if you're not ZLATAN.

Despite this not ONCE did he lose his head at his teammates or the situation. He just kept plugging away. Queue him winning a free kick and allowing the game to settle.

He then won a pen and scored it. Seemed justice for the maturity and hard work he displayed when he was doing a thankless task.

I agree with all this. He was, to a large extent, on a hiding to nothing for most of Saturday getting the ball smashed at him with Morgan (who is a beast) on him the whole time. He didn't control or win every ball that came his way but he did damn well considering and never stopped trying. That is what you won't from a Championship striker. If there was a striker who could do what some fans expect from Barnes he would be playing in the Premier League and the top half at that.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Since Leo has been out he has taken an absolute kicking from huge defenders with very little protection from the refs, and apart from the odd moan at the ref, he has got up, dusted himself down and done it all over again.

How come when he does that dive over the ball when he has it at his feet and a defender is behind him, he gets a freekick 80% of the time, but when defenders are all over him, holding, barging, strangling ! the rest of the game the refs give nothing ?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I wish we had a thread like this for ALL of our players. I know Spanish Dave has one, but let's start a few others..

"Crofts. What's the point?"
"Upson - past it?"
"LuaLua has forgotten how to score - time to get rid."
''CONway - CRIMINAL passing.''
''Buckley will never score for Brighton again.''

Crofts
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?285242-Crofts-celebration-yesterday
"Crofts celebrated with the wrong fans"

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?284260-Crofts
lots of opinions, first few at least were not entirely complimentary.

Upson
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?285013-is-matthew-upson-up-to-championship-standard
OP gets shot down pretty quick.

Lualua
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?272751-Time-to-get-rid-of-LuaLua
The OP seems to be about him not being used

Conway
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?289230-Conway-not-good-enough
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?290837-Conway
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?288817-Craig-Conway

Buckley
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?288769-William-Buckley
Not overly critical of him, but questions his quality thus far this season.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Interesting how many threads like this are started by Trigger.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This is definitely true. There is no doubt Leicester targeted him and tried to lure him into situations in which it would be easy to lash out. Strangling him, as you say, plus holding on to his shirt and holding him down when he'd gone to ground were particular favourites. They're not the first team to do it either, Blackburn also had a go, but he's not reacted at all this year.

I like Barnes more than ever this season. With the exception of a run of two or three very poor games (Ipswich, Forest, Yeovil) I think he's had a really good season. Even when he wasn't scoring he put in some excellent performances like at Reading, QPR and against Bolton.

He's also, just like Ince, someone the Albion should be tying down to a new contract now rather than risk losing for nothing at the end of the season. If that happens, it'll cost £1m+ to replace someone who can play in two positions, is happy to sit on the bench at times and has a proven record of scoring goals.

Wise words.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
All we were doing was smacking the ball out at Barnes FACE. He was somehow expected to control this, take it down, and wait for support which was a near on impossible job if you're not ZLATAN.

Are you saying he didn't manage to achieve a positive result 100% of the time?? He must be RUBBISH. He almost missed his first and second goals on Saturday...

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

Very much this - despite the fact that Ashley obviously is not blessed with a great deal of pace and was not getting much joy out of the hoofed clearances he kept going, never looked like he had given up on a ball before it was actually in the oppositions posession. Always been a big fan of Barnes and glad to see him improving still further.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here