Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yet another game without a goal for Barnes...

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Crickey lords EP, for an intelligent chap this comment is just about as tenuous and random as any I have seen on here........

Just adopt the position that I do, we all have different views on players, why do we have to align with the professionals?......there are professionals getting sacked every week in football, because they made mistakes, because they picked duff formations, because their view of a players ability was at odds with the reality.....subjectivity is the key point here, not being self righteous, as you have hinted at.

Proof if ever it was needed what the anti Barnes group are like. Sky commentators and a number of football managers rate Barnes, yet we know best. Yes, football is a game of opinions but when you are so biased you lose focus on the actual facts, your opinion becomes pointless.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Which is fine, if everyone is objective. However, the anti Barnes brigade are so anti, that if anyone else suggests he might have done something exactly right, they will jump on it as proof that they were right all along. The sad thing is I genuinely believe some of them would rather we struggled and Barnes did badly than we went up with Barnes as top scorer. Not exactly support is it?

No it isn't, it's rather sad, getting more and more obsessive and misses the point.

If we were performing badly at the bottom of the league then it might be a bit more understandable. Barnes is playing in a side that's getting results. He may not be the best striker in the division, he may or may not play when Ulloa & CMS are back, chances are he won't but for goodness sake get off his back when he's doing the best that he can do to get us up the table.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
No it isn't, it's rather sad, getting more and more obsessive and misses the point.

If we were performing badly at the bottom of the league then it might be a bit more understandable. Barnes is playing in a side that's getting results. He may not be the best striker in the division, he may or may not play when Ulloa & CMS are back, chances are he won't but for goodness sake get off his back when he's doing the best that he can do to get us up the table.

Absolutely. Can't be many better value strikers at the £150K (I think) we paid for him.

One of Bournemouth's strikers yesterday cost £2.25 million and Barnes looked a lot better than him. I also thought he played better than £8 million Jordan Rhodes when we played Blackburn.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Crickey lords EP, for an intelligent chap this comment is just about as tenuous and random as any I have seen on here........

Just adopt the position that I do, we all have different views on players, why do we have to align with the professionals?......there are professionals getting sacked every week in football, because they made mistakes, because they picked duff formations, because their view of a players ability was at odds with the reality.....subjectivity is the key point here, not being self righteous, as you have hinted at.

Professionals get sacked every week in football mainly because the people who appointed them aren't very good and press the panic button too easily.

If fans didn't have opinions life would be a lot duller. It's the level of malevolence that I don't understand and the willing that a player had a bad game in order to be proved right that is at odds what I enjoy about the game.

Compared to the likes of Mark Farringdon, Mark McCammon, Mick Ferguson, Billy Painter and others who have played for the Albion at this level I don't think Barnes is too shabby.

What people also conveniently ignore tisnthat in the FFP environment in which we operate, and the Albion making a £ 9m loss last year, how are we going to find something better for the money.

B'Muff had a £2.5million striker yesterday who ran around like a headless chicken, has scored 3 goals this year and never looked threatening, luckily we would never do something so silly....

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Barnes scored an absolute cracker, but... watch his OWN post-match comments on Sky. Even he admits he wasn't that good yesterday. Still, if the Barnes lovers want to say he played well, that's up to them...

So when fans appreciate Barnes, why do you insist on insulting them by calling them “Barnes lovers.” Do you know how childish that sounds?

Anyone defending players at the club are called supporters, do you not understand this?

Do you even understand the support concept?

Unfortunately the Sky commentators only had good things to say about him and even compared his goal to something Ronaldo would score.

The only thing I can work out from your comments is that you hope he fails so you can indulge in your “told you so” glory moment.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Not one goal for Barnes today either! :bounce:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Singing aye aye Ashley Ashley Barnes
Singing aye aye Ashley Ashley Barnes
Singing aye aye Ashley
aye aye Ashley
aye aye Ashley Ashley Barnes

YEEEE HAAAHHH !

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Barnes is a much better version of Gary Hart. Why didn't Hart come in for such stick? Does he have to stand with the away fans in Brentford (or whatever) to be accepted by a proportion of our fanbase?

D Block blue

Feb 23, 2009
West Sussex la la la
It's sad that the anti Barnes crew can't be pleased and have to continue moaning.

Think we are making some ground on the lot that sit in the west lower c block. I have been telling them for ages to leave Ashley alone when they moan about him and beggar belief yesterday they were singing the aye aye Ashley song:). Apparently they are warming to him.:facepalm:

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
The penalty was his 20th goal at Falmer if I remember correctly, well done Ash :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here