Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yet another game without a goal for Barnes...

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill

Barnes is playing at his level. He is never going to be world class or anything but he gives 100% and in recent months where we have been dogged by injuries up front in particular he has TRIED to fill a role in which he is not perfectly designed to play. Yesterday's goal was great, he seems to have outgrown the impetuous antics from the past (hopefully!) and, at present in particular, is much less worthy of criticism than other players I could mention.
Spanish Dave is still AWOL, Andrews when he came on was, well, ineffective to say the least and for me the jury is still out on Conway's end product amidst the hustle and bustle he contributes.
Thanks for your effort Ash.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Here is a good example of your own narrow reading and comprehension skill set........AB is amongst my least favourite players since I started supporting the club in 1974.....but he scored a cracker today and I applaud that.......I have nothing but full support for the rest of our squad, though I do think Greer is looking a little sluggish this season.

Barnes is one of your least favourite players of all time? How? What has he done exactly? It seems just pure malice aimed at a young man who's scored more than 50 goals for us (most of the time playing out wide) and gives it his all. I'd think someone like Dobbie (laziness) or Knight (personal attitude) would be at least somewhat deserving of some dislike...but Barnes? Get over yourself mate

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Football is hilarious because the amateurs with no qualifications are not only convinced they are 'right' but also incredibly self righteous (and usually right wing) despite their views being at odds with those of the professionals or a detailed statistical analysis.

In the last five years we have had as strikers

Gary Hart
CMS
Leo Ulloa
Chris Holroyd
Ben Dickenson
George Barker
Roland Bergkamp
Toby Agustein
Billy Painter
Fran Sandaza
Will Hoskins
Sam Vokes
Leroy Lita
Liam Dickinson
Dobbie
Charlie Oatway Jr

.....and they're all better than Ashley Barnes, who only gets picked because he was initially Poyet's love child, and OG decided to make him his love child too for reasons which haven't yet been fully explained.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Football is hilarious because the amateurs with no qualifications are not only convinced they are 'right' but also incredibly self righteous (and usually right wing) despite their views being at odds with those of the professionals or a detailed statistical analysis.

In the last five years we have had as strikers

Gary Hart
CMS
Leo Ulloa
Chris Holroyd
Ben Dickenson
George Barker
Roland Bergkamp
Toby Agustein
Billy Painter
Fran Sandaza
Will Hoskins
Sam Vokes
Leroy Lita
Liam Dickinson
Dobbie
Charlie Oatway Jr

.....and they're all better than Ashley Barnes, who only gets picked because he was initially Poyet's love child, and OG decided to make him his love child too for reasons which haven't yet been fully explained.

It would be useful if you could back up any of this, with regards to both all of the other strikers being better and the reasons Barnes appears in the first team. Otherwise third-rate opinion.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It would be useful if you could back up any of this, with regards to both all of the other strikers being better and the reasons Barnes appears in the first team. Otherwise third-rate opinion.

Have you just been wooshed, or have I?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Holroyd better than Barnes? El Pres has lost what marbles he had.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
At the risk of being whooshed...el pres is being sarcastic

Oh he is. I just couldn't tell if prince monolulu was making some other point (I.e. Whether he too was being sarcastic, or if he was challenging the idea that people are ridiculously critical of Barnes) that was going over my head.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What a pompous prrick you are.....you lot can slag off Conway, Lopez, Greer, Bruno, Crofts, CMS and anybody else you feel needs a kick in the knackerrs and we are all expected to accept your view as fact.......however as soon as someone mentions Lord Barnes you all jump up and down in righteous indignation.......he scored a cracker,....end of story.

Here is a good example of your own narrow reading and comprehension skill set........AB is amongst my least favourite players since I started supporting the club in 1974.....but he scored a cracker today and I applaud that.......I have nothing but full support for the rest of our squad, though I do think Greer is looking a little sluggish this season.

It's quite valid to "slag off" players when they give a poor performance BUT the anti-AB brigade do so even when he gives a good performance like yesterday. The idiot remarks such as "it was a lucky goal", "he wasn't trying to score" etc are pathetic. Give Barnes a break - he played well and the anti-AB fools should man enough to give him the praise when deserved.

As for your highlighted statement - why the rest of the squad ( who on their day can give poor performances ) but not AB ? What a stupid statement to make. What has AB done to you to not get your support ...... ever ?

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
I'd be tempted to think all the Barnes-haters are on a fishing trip, but there is this one guy who sits a few rows behind us at the Amex who will not shut up with his abuse of Barnes - I genuinely think it pains him when Barnesy scores.

It saddens

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'd be tempted to think all the Barnes-haters are on a fishing trip, but there is this one guy who sits a few rows behind us at the Amex who will not shut up with his abuse of Barnes - I genuinely think it pains him when Barnesy scores.

It saddens

To be fair Sam it saddens him when Barnes scores, so he suffered yesterday too........a lot. #PrayForTheBlokeWhoSitsBehindSam

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Barnes scored an absolute cracker, but... watch his OWN post-match comments on Sky. Even he admits he wasn't that good yesterday. Still, if the Barnes lovers want to say he played well, that's up to them...

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Speak English please......

It's pretty obvious what I meant but as you have no answer, you thought it would be better to pretend you don't know. My two points were:

1. No other player gets the sustained and harsh abuse that Barnes does (however well he plays). If they did you would get supporters of the club standing up for them too.

2. Your comment about "end of story" is not what you and other Barnes haters follow. You go on about his misses for ages afterwards.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Barnes scored an absolute cracker, but... watch his OWN post-match comments on Sky. Even he admits he wasn't that good yesterday. Still, if the Barnes lovers want to say he played well, that's up to them...

Who was great yesterday though? Kuszczak and Ince but nobody else. The fact is Kuszczak's saves and Barnes' goal won us a point yesterday.

The irony is that when Barnes plays well and doesn't score, a lot of people (not necessarily you) come on here and slag him off for not scoring. Shouldn't they all be praising him now?

Finally, I don't think there are many "Barnes lovers" as you put it. There are a lot of people who see his limitations but appreciate what he brings to the team and get annoyed by idiots slagging him off whatever he does. This thread being a great example. He gets a lot more stick than any other player so will get more support from proper supporter and before anyone starts moaning, I don't think proper supporters of a club will be so against one player and slag him off continually for no real reason.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It's pretty obvious what I meant but as you have no answer, you thought it would be better to pretend you don't know. My two points were:

1. No other player gets the sustained and harsh abuse that Barnes does (however well he plays). If they did you would get supporters of the club standing up for them too.

Ah but of course if you fly in the face of negativity.moaning you ar suddenly branded a 'lover.'... not someone trying to offer an alternative/positive view
2. Your comment about "end of story" is not what you and other Barnes haters follow. You go on about his misses for ages afterwards.

Ah but of course if you fly in the face of negativity.moaning you are suddenly branded a 'lover.'... not someone trying to offer an alternative/positive view

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
but also incredibly self righteous (and usually right wing) .

Crickey lords EP, for an intelligent chap this comment is just about as tenuous and random as any I have seen on here........

Just adopt the position that I do, we all have different views on players, why do we have to align with the professionals?......there are professionals getting sacked every week in football, because they made mistakes, because they picked duff formations, because their view of a players ability was at odds with the reality.....subjectivity is the key point here, not being self righteous, as you have hinted at.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Ah but of course if you fly in the face of negativity.moaning you are suddenly branded a 'lover.'... not someone trying to offer an alternative/positive view

But surely the right approach is to offer a balanced view. Not to go so over the top in your flattery that your opinion is as worthless and likely to be ignored as the negativity.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
But surely the right approach is to offer a balanced view. Not to go so over the top in your flattery that your opinion is as worthless and likely to be ignored as the negativity.

Which is fine, if everyone is objective. However, the anti Barnes brigade are so anti, that if anyone else suggests he might have done something exactly right, they will jump on it as proof that they were right all along. The sad thing is I genuinely believe some of them would rather we struggled and Barnes did badly than we went up with Barnes as top scorer. Not exactly support is it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here