Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yet another game without a goal for Barnes...

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's amazing how starting a shit thread can be hailed as something rather special and amusing if you are mates with enough people on here. It's still a shit thread imo though.

I've never had a conversation in my life with him, so hardly mates.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
But what does Barnes add to the squad? He runs around and huffs and puffs, falls over alot but he doesn't score and can someone tell me how many assists he's had this season so far?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But what does Barnes add to the squad? He runs around and huffs and puffs, falls over alot but he doesn't score and can someone tell me how many assists he's had this season so far?

He got an assist v Forest. His overhead kick was met by Lita on saturday.

He was also the person pressuring Spearing and jumping in front to cause the distraction that led to the first goal v Bolton.

He played the ball through for calderon to provide the assist to give us the lead v derby.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013

Looked like a goal mouth scramble to me.

He was also the person pressuring Spearing and jumping in front to cause the distraction that led to the first goal v Bolton.

That's not an assist.

He played the ball through for calderon to provide the assist to give us the lead v derby.

That's not an assist either. Do you know what assist means because you are clutching at straws and trying to justify Barnes being on the pitch.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

So the one vs Forest was a mistake, and he had an assist to an assist against Derby :lolol:

I'm not criticising Barnes btw, I think on the whole he does a solid if unspectacular job, but an effective lone striker he is not. Thats hardly his fault though, its just a case of needs must for now.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

So his 37-odd goals were all made up, were they? His numerous assists? His good link up play? In the Watford game he was involved in EVERY bit of quality play.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Looked like a goal mouth scrabble to me.

That's not an assist.

That's not an assist either. Do you know what assist means because you are clutching at straws and trying to justify Barnes being on the pitch.

According to stats, an assist is the last team mate to play the ball to the player who scores. Someone who wants to hate one of their teams players will cling to this as the only way that player can receive credit.

I thought I would add to the only credited assist (v Forest) with other moments in games where his action has played an important part in the creation of the goal, which is the spirit of an assist and a fairer representation of a player's contribution.

v Forest was a mis-hit shot.
v Doncaster, the corner was swung in by lopez, Ward headed it and as it came off his head deflected off the defender who was challenging him and went across the penalty box, Barnes tried an overhead kick but didn't catch it cleanly, it bounced through between two defenders, and lita reacted first and hit it in the goal. Not exactly a scramble, but not an obvious assist, granted. His part was important in the goal, though.

Last edited:

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
So his 37-odd goals were all made up, were they? His numerous assists? His good link up play? In the Watford game he was involved in EVERY bit of quality play.

Eh? 37 goals? I know I'm old but haven't lost my marbles just yet because I swear he hasn't scored none so far this season or any assists either.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Had absolutely nothing to do with earning the Penalty and happened to be in the right place to finish after an excellent effort on goal for his second.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Well done, Ashley, and hope your two goals will shut the doubters up. :clap:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I was absolutely disgusted with some of our fans today. Barnes did a fabulous job holding up the ball. He was coming into the game more and more then ended up clean through. He absolutely should have buried that or at the very least, forced the keeper into a save but he fluffed his chance - a clear indication of how much he is lacking in confidence. Audible groans at that but worse was to follow when he laid the ball of superbly only to fluff a though ball from the return pass.

A couple of minutes later we get a penalty. The lad is clearly short on confidence yet has the balls to step forward to take the spot kick. How is he "supported" from the stands? With yet more audible groans and cries of derision. He could have hid and let Lopez take it, he could have easily fallen apart given that reaction but he tucked it away. Well done. If I was him I'd leave in the summer and go somewhere where he is appreciated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here