Xmas Train Alert - Some Windy Weather.....

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Of course, the Xmas work will now overrun because of more storms on Friday.

Wasn't there originally only a two hour gap between scheduled work finishing and the line reopening for first working day of January? Seem to recall you being a bit sceptical about the original timescales. Guess we're realistically looking at normal service being resumed on Monday 6th now, rather than Thursday 2nd?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Made my date at Craft Beer Co; drinking a nice Thornbridge Bayern. A message to all TOCs: I will never surrender! You will not beat me.

Merry Xmas and thanks to all the help you guys gave me in getting to Brighton.

Well done and glad you made it back

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Wasn't there originally only a two hour gap between scheduled work finishing and the line reopening for first working day of January? Seem to recall you being a bit sceptical about the original timescales. Guess we're realistically looking at normal service being resumed on Monday 6th now, rather than Thursday 2nd?

Yup, said that if the weather was bad, it might have a knock on effect and it probably will now as strong winds are expected on Friday and Monday. Line is due to open at 4AM on the 2nd.

Monday 6th might be a good estimate, if the work gets done on time - then credit to Network Rail for that, but I cant see how a full renewal of a major junction wont be affected by 60mph winds.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012

That would sound about right.

If weather is an issue, why not put extra maintenance staff to get job finished on time?

Or would that hurt shareholder profits too much?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
That would sound about right.

If weather is an issue, why not put extra maintenance staff to get job finished on time?

Or would that hurt shareholder profits too much?

Again, Network Rail don't have shareholders. And you can throw extra staff at something all you like, if the weather makes unsafe working conditions, then it's pointless. That and there becomes a line where there is too much staff.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Again, Network Rail don't have shareholders. And you can throw extra staff at something all you like, if the weather makes unsafe working conditions, then it's pointless. That and there becomes a line where there is too much staff.

Really? I did not know that. Are they not for profit?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That's fine by me ... as long as the directors are working on Christmas Day, with chainsaws and wheelbarrows.

Agreed but I think we all know the answer to that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That's fine by me ... as long as the directors are working on Christmas Day, with ....wheelbarrows.

A more comfortable mode of transport than FCC

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Going to be problems tomorrow too. The diverted London Victoria - Gatwick Airport service which was due to run via Sutton and Horsham wont be running as the Dorking-Horsham line has suffered a large landslide.

Southeastern have also taken the somewhat over-cautious approach of not running trains until 12PM tomorrow - the only train company to do so.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
With the engineering works, could we claim delay repay given the usual services will presumably be cancelled owing to engineering works?

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
It annoys me really. I have taken the next week off work, not to have a break for Christmas, but because the commute to work would be so poor (looking at 2 hours 50 to do a journey that should not be more than a hour).

If Southern had a shred of decency they would offer an extra for days when my season ticket runs out to make up for days I have not used the ticket (owing to engineering works).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports