Xmas Train Alert - Some Windy Weather.....

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
But they wont pass any of this along to customers?

Pathetic arent they.

Fairly sure its built into the Code of Practice which all train companies abide to which compensation doesnt need to be given to passengers with season tickets for work which has been planned for a certain length of time. Also depends on the length of the work. Still, when it overruns you could be raking in the Delay Repay when you receive the vouchers.....2 months later of course.

Southern arent making any money from Network Rail, they get the bare minimum to cover costs.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
My Daughter lives in High Wycombe and was meant to be returning by train tomorrow afternoon as she has to work Saturday. With all services starting from East Grinstead and running into London Bridge, the journey from Worthing to London would take over three hours!

With all the engineering work, or to use the railway companies nice fluffy terminology, "Improvement Works", it looks like I will be driving her after I finish work *groan*.

With all the chaos caused by Engineering work this Christmas Period, its a further case for filling in the missing link between Lewes and Uckfield in order to make a secondary route between Brighton and London.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Due to get the 9.34 uckfield to london bridge tomorrow morning. I shall be keeping an eye on updates but if anyone else hears anything then it would be appreciated if you could post it on here. Cheers

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
With all the chaos caused by Engineering work this Christmas Period, its a further case for filling in the missing link between Lewes and Uckfield in order to make a secondary route between Brighton and London.

Got the Billions it would cost then ? Work is to upgrade the signalling at Victoria (which regularly fails), to replace a junction at Purley (which constantly has speed restrictions and is incredibly bumpy) and a new platform at Gatwick (which will reduce congestion). A few days over a quiet period for the railway is ideal time to upgrade.

With the upgrades, it further improves reliability which means you wouldnt need to spend Billions on a line that would seldom be used.

Line between Selhurst (Boo!) and Sutton will be closed for a while due to major signalling damage caused by flooding, services into Victoria will also be diverted to London Bridge too.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
If they've got to do the work at some point, and it seems like they do need to, then surely this is the best time to do it, Whilst the majority of office working commuters are off work. I know it will inconvenience some, but only a minority.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Got the Billions it would cost then ? Work is to upgrade the signalling at Victoria (which regularly fails), to replace a junction at Purley (which constantly has speed restrictions and is incredibly bumpy) and a new platform at Gatwick (which will reduce congestion). A few days over a quiet period for the railway is ideal time to upgrade.

With the upgrades, it further improves reliability which means you wouldnt need to spend Billions on a line that would seldom be used.

Line between Selhurst (Boo!) and Sutton will be closed for a while due to major signalling damage caused by flooding, services into Victoria will also be diverted to London Bridge too.

That great tragedy will be, if it does not make a slightest bit of difference.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That great tragedy will be, if it does not make a slightest bit of difference.

It will take much more than one week of works to improve the total and utter chaos that is the UK rail system.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Gatwick should do, been a troubleshoot for a long time.

We'll have to see. Will my train crawl through Gatwick in the mornings still (stuck behind an FCC or Gatwick Express that has stopped at Gatwick).

Unless these trains will be diverted to another platform to allow my fast service from Littlehampton to fly through?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
It will take much more than one week of works to improve the total and utter chaos that is the UK rail system.

Anything done to improve the network is a bonus.

We'll have to see. Will my train crawl through Gatwick in the mornings still (stuck behind an FCC or Gatwick Express that has stopped at Gatwick).

Unless these trains will be diverted to another platform to allow my fast service from Littlehampton to fly through?

The Express will now get it's own platform - the FCC and all "fast" London services will stop at the same place as now.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
It's got to the stage where as a commuter you fear any weather forecast that isn't dry , minimal wind and 7 to 15 degrees.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
According to the BBC I am an extreme commuter.

theboybilly

Until Balcombe Tunnel eventually collapses. It's a matter of time until something or other happens to suspend services from the coast to Three Bridges for a few weeks. Brighton needs a diversionary route. But for me Shoreham-Horsham reinstatement would be much better than Uckfield to Lewes.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Ooo, what's the qualification criteria? Reckon I could be one of them.

A return journey of three hours or more

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Until Balcombe Tunnel eventually collapses. It's a matter of time until something or other happens to suspend services from the coast to Three Bridges for a few weeks. Brighton needs a diversionary route. But for me Shoreham-Horsham reinstatement would be much better than Uckfield to Lewes.

Certainly, another option floating about is a connecting line near Arundel to link the Littlehampton - Horsham line to the West Coastway line, could then run direct Horsham - Brighton trains, also to/from London via Sutton avoiding Croydon - and anything that avoids Croydon is a good thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports