Xmas Train Alert - Some Windy Weather.....

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
dont fancy buses from Victoria, an hour or hour and half to Gatwick with some very stressed and grumpy passengers. i'd try a train to the outskirts then a local cab the rest of the way if i were in London looking to get home now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In a cab to Gatwick now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ron Nodes has died.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Hm, gotta get from Brighton to Woking. Trying to work out which is likely to be more of a mission, the bus from Gatwick to Clapham Jct route or the epic (but all train-based) via Portsmouth route. Hm.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
dont fancy buses from Victoria, an hour or hour and half to Gatwick with some very stressed and grumpy passengers. i'd try a train to the outskirts then a local cab the rest of the way if i were in London looking to get home now.

How about train to Tunbridge Wells from London Bridge. The last 29 bus to Brighton from outside TW station leaves at 8:02pm.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
There will be no trains between East Croydon and Gatwick until after the holiday, trains are now running to East Grinstead buses being used from there to Gatwick or Three Bridges.

Sounds like the blockade has been introduced slightly earlier than anticipated.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Stirling piece of driving by the Palace cabbie, picked up by Tubthumper Jnr at Gatwick and now on M23. Barring any mishaps I will be at the hotel by 5 and in Craft Beer Co at 6.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Southern have tweeted that the LB to Uckfield line is open and running. Doing that and getting the 28/29 to Brighton seems like a workable idea (theoretically...)

Southern tickets are also valid on Southeastern, so Tunbridge Wells and the 29 is also doable. Not sure what time the last bus leaves TW though.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Hm, gotta get from Brighton to Woking. Trying to work out which is likely to be more of a mission, the bus from Gatwick to Clapham Jct route or the epic (but all train-based) via Portsmouth route. Hm.

I'd say the 'easiest' way is bus from Brighton to Uckfield, train from Uckfield to London Bridge, LB to Waterloo East and Waterloo to Woking. Convoluted, but should see you there. DO NOT attempt the coast route.

Good luck.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'll be claiming a refund for the train termination and expulsion of squeezed in passengers at Purley. A world of upset people with difficult to wheel and handle meeting no boarding time deadline luggage made for generally bad feeling, whilst the fact that it took 45 minutes to get out of the station itself so that I could find a place to hitch my lift made it a health and safety disgrace. Mother's boyfriend now has me in his Magic fm car and should be in Brighton in half an hour. A horrid day's travel.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'll be claiming a refund for the train termination and expulsion of squeezed in passengers at Purley. A world of upset people with difficult to wheel and handle meeting no boarding time deadline luggage made for generally bad feeling, whilst the fact that it took 45 minutes to get out of the station itself so that I could find a place to hitch my lift made it a health and safety disgrace. Mother's boyfriend now has me in his Magic fm car and should be in Brighton in half an hour. A horrid day's travel.

Bad luck MB, there are some horror stories out there today. Friends of mine were set to travel to Lancaster on the train, They managed to make it Redhill in 3 1/2 hours on assorted trains and a £25 cab ride. they turned back about 1pm as they could not even make Victoria and the West Coast mainline was struggling too.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Southern have tweeted that the LB to Uckfield line is open and running. Doing that and getting the 28/29 to Brighton seems like a workable idea (theoretically...)

Southern tickets are also valid on Southeastern, so Tunbridge Wells and the 29 is also doable. Not sure what time the last bus leaves TW though.

Last bus from TW today ( to Brighton ) is 8:02 pm, which goes through Uckfield at 8:44 pm.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Guess the only good thing about the Redhill and Quarry Line landslides is that they now have time to fix it.

Of course, the Xmas work will now overrun because of more storms on Friday.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Made my date at Craft Beer Co; drinking a nice Thornbridge Bayern. A message to all TOCs: I will never surrender! You will not beat me.

Merry Xmas and thanks to all the help you guys gave me in getting to Brighton.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Euugh, waiting for my sister to arrive so I can drive her to my parents. She was stuck outside e. grinstead two and a half hours ago waiting for them to let her get off for a rail replacement service. Still no word and her phone is dead, now it sounds like it's blowing a gale again outside! Fun.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports