Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Xmas Pressie - Tablet

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
Hi all of knowledge and greatness.

I'm going to buy my eldest a tablet for christmas. Would anyone know of any good deals out there. Preferably require a 10" screen and reasonal spec but nothing amazing.
Looking for something around the £150 mark, is this poss or am i in a cardboard dreamland?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Can anyone tell me what the point of them is? I'm genuinely interested. I see a smartphone and laptop as essentials but can't imagine why anyone would want tablet.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Have you looked at the Nexus 7, its not £150 (more like £190) but its cheaper than the Ipad with similar performance.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I've just bought an iPad 4 and its way way better than my laptop...however, the kindle HD Fire is the way to go if you're on a budget.

Tablets will replace laptops for the mass market as they are far more portable.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
Can anyone tell me what the point of them is? I'm genuinely interested. I see a smartphone and laptop as essentials but can't imagine why anyone would want tablet.

well i have one, an ipad2, and i probably under utilize it, i dont know. you cant do work on it, no word or anything like that, which considering it costs more than a laptop is a bit silly. i basically use mine for emails, surfing the interweb and playing games on. i have apps like lovefilm, bbc iplayer etc, but again thats something you can get on a laptop, plus laptops allow flasplayer, the ipad2 doesnt. so as far as i can see, its an expensive gimmick.

if i am wrong please tell me, and i would love to be pointed in the direction of apps that would allow me word process and the suchlike as i think its me not using it properly as opposed to the ipad being a gimmick.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
A little higher than your price range is the Samsung Tab 2 10.1, for £238 in most places, but they are doing £50 cashback at the moment, bringing it down to £188

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Funnily enough, I am going to buy a Samsung Galaxy tablet today. It was £149 with £30 cashback (so £119 net) only a month ago. I'm hoping that deal is still around...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

For me, iPad is useful just because it is smaller, lighter and therefore more portable than a laptop. It is also, in my experience, easier to switch between applications/programs on the tablet than laptop. Plus my laptop is ancient and needs to be plugged in most of the time to work properly.

In comparison with smartphones, the iPad is much more capable for browsing the web, and the screen is much bigger for watching videos, etc.

Bit of a luxury item, but not as much as a iPad mini, if you already have a iPhone. THAT is a waste of money, IMHO...

But get yourself one of these bad boys for your ipad, and you can essentially have a laptop too: Ceratech - Suppliers of Computer Keyboards - Mice - USB Storage - Remote Controls - Programmable Keyboards - EPOS Keyboards

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

For me, commuting.

I have a 45 minute train trip (delays notwithstanding) each way to work, so a machine, in my case a Nexus 7, which allows me to read my eBooks via the Kindle app and also play games/watch videos on a good size and good quality screen while being small/light enough to be portable and yet big enough to be suitable for the aforesaid tasks is perfect to pass the time.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I have bought two samsung galaxy tab 2 7" for my two kids, £158 form tesco with £30 cashback from samsung and a free 8gb memory card.

I am an apple man usually and have two ipads in the house but these little samsungs are great for the money and the kids will love it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

You should be on Dragon's Den! Can you say that statement in a Scottish accent followed by....I'm out.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The correct answers are...

Small form

Cheap 7" - Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7. c£110-£120 after you claim the £30 cashback on offer.
Better 7" - Nexus 7. From £160.
Best - iPad Mini. From £269.

Do not get the Kindle Fire HD.

Larger Form

Cheap - Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10. c£180 after the £50 cashback is claimed.
Better - Apple iPad 2. c£300 (I think)
Best - 'new iPad'. From £399 (I think)

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town

Small form

Cheap 7" - Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7. c£110-£120 after you claim the £30 cashback on offer.

Larger Form

Spot on!!!

D

Deleted member 18477

they're the most unnecessary necessary piece of technology. i never use my laptop or smartphone anymore when at home. (unless making calls - smartphone).

D

Deleted member 18477

ipads are very overated and are double the price for no reason at all.

apple lover: 'oh but its apple... and i want to be able to say that i have an ipad because i think i'm really cool ;)'

normal person: 'but my samsung tab 2 / good nexus can do the same stuff and its half the price :lolol:'

i have an ipad and after having a go on my mates samsung tab 2 i will never be lured in to the apple trap again UNLESS they actually release a value for money product. compared to the samsung and google tablets is it value for money? i dont think so.

Last edited by a moderator:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

Small form

Larger Form

Happy to accept your conclusions, but really is the difference in price worth it to surf the web, check emails and play games/movies ?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Small form

Larger Form

Is the new ipad worth more than double the price of a Samsung though?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here