Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Xmas Dinner Conundrum

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
According to many of the current TV ads, you should plaster your table with everything you can. Gluttony is big this year, max your Turkey/Goose/10 Bird Roast size, all veg need to be ramped up with herbs/spices or lardons, plain boiled is history. If when you have covered your table there are still visible signs of the tablecoth underneath, you are a scrooge.

So yes.

Indeed. This year for me is a broiled secretary bird with a moat of adder blood. I have a reinforced dinner table to carry the weight of this 5ft feathered monster and a small pouch of its warmed talons to pick our teeth with. The dessert will be an unusually chewy and greasy hippo genital tiramisu served in terrapin shells.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
My Wife and I went to our butchers last week to order Christmas Day food. She ordered 1 turkey to feed 12 people, 1 beef for 12, 1 gammon for 8, lots chipolatas and bacon to wrap around them. Surprised I tried to recall who was coming to dinner. Last count 7 people. Turkey & beef sarnies for a week after.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Indeed. This year for me is a broiled secretary bird with a moat of adder blood. I have a reinforced dinner table to carry the weight of this 5ft feathered monster and a small pouch of its warmed talons to pick our teeth with. The dessert will be an unusually chewy and greasy hippo genital tiramisu served in terrapin shells.

Is that Harvester then ?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
No, sorry, you're all wrong. Ham doesn't make it's Christmas appearance until the cold meat buffet, with bubble, on boxing day. Simple as, it's the law.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

MB Gold (can't get the bow down smiley on my phone).

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Alright for some! I do most of the cooking in our house. Last year we had 14 round for Christmas lunch, only 11 this year - no I didn't poison 3 last year!

I always prepare a ham as it's easy to do and can be prepared in advanced and glazed in the oven at the same time the turkey is cooking.

What I find the most difficult is catering for the veggies! Different roast potatoes, (no goose fat), same with the Yorkshire puddings, (no dripping) and a different gravy as well as a substitute for the meat.
We had 23 for Christmas dinner a few years back, 3 of which were Veggies, I know exactly what you mean. Trying to keep everything seperate (Gravy, Roasties, Parsnips etc) was a blooming nightmare.

Never again.

Think yourself lucky you're not round at theirs for Christmas.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Nice to see there are some traditionalists on NSC.....

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
What I find the most difficult is catering for the veggies! Different roast potatoes, (no goose fat), same with the Yorkshire puddings, (no dripping) and a different gravy as well as a substitute for the meat.

Coupe of years ago I had to do three different meals, and there were only 6 of us round the table! 1 x fish eating vegie (bass), 1 x non veggie that didn't like turkey(duck breast) and 4 x trad turkey dinners.

Slightly different this year as Mrs P is working from 6am till 3pm, her daughter has since moved out, so I'll be waking up on my own Christmas morning to an empty house for the first time ever. Must admit, I'm not looking forward to it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here