Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Xmas Dinner Conundrum

solly

Aug 31, 2005
I had wine gums for Christmas lunch in 2011 ..... just to prove a point at the time. I cant really remember what the point was now, but do remember the vow never to repeat the experience .... bring on any sort roast from wherever I can blag one. Turn up with some wine / port and my "play nice" head on..... oh and the marigolds for washing up (other gloves are available)
Nice sleep and look forward to the Boxing day Albion match

road kill:moo:

Attachments

• christmas road kill.jpg
    christmas road kill.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 253

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Get a minipin of something like Dark Star APA and leave the 'trimmings' to the women. Keep out of it.

Sound advice here and also the correct answer.

My wife always cooks ham at Christmas even if we are going out on Christmas day, we don't have ham with the Christmas dinner but eat it in sandwiches or with potatoes and pickles.

I wouldn't mind having ham for Christmas dinner, and all the time I'm not doing the cooking I definitely don't complain what is on offer.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I wouldn't mind having ham for Christmas dinner, and all the time I'm not doing the cooking I definitely don't complain what is on offer.

Alright for some! I do most of the cooking in our house. Last year we had 14 round for Christmas lunch, only 11 this year - no I didn't poison 3 last year!

I always prepare a ham as it's easy to do and can be prepared in advanced and glazed in the oven at the same time the turkey is cooking.

What I find the most difficult is catering for the veggies! Different roast potatoes, (no goose fat), same with the Yorkshire puddings, (no dripping) and a different gravy as well as a substitute for the meat.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Yes to ham.

No to serving it on the table - there's never enough room on the table for a massive turkey and a ham as well.

kc1

Nov 11, 2011
Ham cooked on Xmas eve, in time for lunch, served with crusty bread and pickled onions
Xmas day we have both beef and Turkey.
Boxing Day cold meat buffet with bubble & speak and chips.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I do the cooking and would happily have ham alongside turkey. As previously said, got to be home roasted and prepared (honey mustard coating etc) and served hot. Brilliant for the few days after as well. Let's face it, turkey is pretty rank anyway so any alternative is good.

Alright for some! I do most of the cooking in our house. Last year we had 14 round for Christmas lunch, only 11 this year - no I didn't poison 3 last year!

I always prepare a ham as it's easy to do and can be prepared in advanced and glazed in the oven at the same time the turkey is cooking.

What I find the most difficult is catering for the veggies! Different roast potatoes, (no goose fat), same with the Yorkshire puddings, (no dripping) and a different gravy as well as a substitute for the meat.

We had 23 for Christmas dinner a few years back, 3 of which were Veggies, I know exactly what you mean. Trying to keep everything seperate (Gravy, Roasties, Parsnips etc) was a blooming nightmare.

Never again.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Turkey is well overrated - prefer a bison sized rib of beef with yorkshires myself.
Soak the rib in whisky overnight for perfection.

Yoda

English & European
It MUST be a home-cooked ham, though - probably a glazed gammon joint - NOT cold, sliced ham. The supermarkets are competing with each other to produce uniquely tasty versions of Christmas hams.

That's just got me trying to think of all the variants I've cook in the past.

Guinness Baked
Sticky Ginger glaze
Marmalade glaze (with and without cloves)

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
It MUST be a home-cooked ham, though - probably a glazed gammon joint - NOT cold, sliced ham. The supermarkets are competing with each other to produce uniquely tasty versions of Christmas hams.
The Orange glazed one from Sainsburys is delicious. I will be very grumpy if they don't do it this year. And my gf is veggie so all the more for me! :clap2:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
We are, for the first time, 'hosting' Christmas for the family this year. Whilst discussing the nitty gritty of the day with my previously sensible girlfriend she has just announced that along with the turkey she will be preparing some cooked ham so we have '2 meats available in the centre of the table'

Firstly I have NEVER had ham at Christmas. Sounds ridiculous and secondly the meat should be served on the plate. It's not a buffet!!

Am I right in my assumptions?!

Listen to your missus. A lovely big ham on the table is very traditional. I'd let your other half take care if Christmas , go to the shed.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
We don't have Ham for Xmas lunch at chez Grombleton, but I see no problem with having it as an alternative to Turkey and would be happy to tuck into it if it were presented to me.

Ham is usually a Boxing Day meal. Mrs Grombleton's family is of German descent so xmas meals are usually a BONANZA of rather splendid food. As they are spread around the country we have a 'second' christmas mid-January (or when we're all available) and really go to town.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You've got to have ham/gammon! I've never heard of a Christmas dinner without. I find it best boiled in coke, then glazed in honey and finished in the oven. Ridiculous idea to only have one meet. We're probably going to have chicken, goose, ham and beef!

edit: and the little sausages wrapped in bacon, of course... and stuffing. Four meats minimum!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
We always have a cooked ham with out Turkey. Great for sandwiches later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here