Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Wtf is going on in Moscow?

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
There isn't a simple button. He'll need to get others to join him, and cause the deaths of themselves and their families. Hopefully they'll say no.

So Prigozhin gets to rule Russia, and then gets the whole of Russia destroyed? Doesn't sound very sensible.

I totally agree with you there, Putin may want his last hurrah but how many people between him saying he wants to use nukes and the person who ultimately presses the final buttons (or however these things work) will say no? I don't really know how these things work so excuse my ignorance on these things.

So if Prigozhin does take over, what will his intentions be? If he continues with the war, my guess will be he will want to do something that shows he means business, maybe not with nukes as I agree with you its not a sensible option, but what?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
A good time for the main Ukrainian offensive to commence methinks???

Not if you've seen the film All quiet on the western front. Best to sit back, save some lives and see what tomorrow brings.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Some reports on Twitter saying Putin's plane has left Moscow heading for St Petersburg, making a run for it?
Interesting times ahead, unlikely, but will Putin press the Nuclear button in a last hurrah? Will Wagner be more likely to go nuclear on Ukraine and follow through with Putin's threats to attack the Western world for supplying Ukraine with weapons?
Not likely regarding Prigozhin's disavowal of Russia's reasons for the 'Special Military Operation'.

Seems Wagner are getting nearer to Moscow:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If that was the plan, why would they need Prigozhin and Putin fighting?

Prigozhin gave that as an option for Putin (blaming Shoigu for deceiving Putin and the Russian people) and Putin could have simply said 'yep, it's Shoigu's fault, we're withdrawing. Instead, Putin has said that Progozhin is a traitor and must die. If Putin wins, he can't blame Prigozhin for the pointless war as it clearly wasn't Prigozhin's decision to invade.
No idea how the Russian propaganda machine works internally and what factions would need what in terms of a logistical de-escalation. Not suggesting it’s an overriding plan either, just that this narrative contiunes
people are over thinking this, trying to see some sort of plan. its simple civil war between two factions of the armed forces, with a Putin who seems quite weak now as he retreats into paranoia. Prigozhin first called out the generals, now spoken against Putin. he cant come back from this. the Russian an army depended on Prigozhin and his army to maintain the war, so dont see how they benefit either.

it may lead to Russian exit, probably once some one decides they've had enough of Putin and the decay of Russian standing and he's asked/forced to leave.
I’m not suggesting there is an overarching plan, but if it’s true their MoD bombed and targetted Wagnar it was done knowing there would be a big reaction. That is a calculated action and they would have considered the consequences, and perhaps they suit a direction of travel.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I totally agree with you there, Putin may want his last hurrah but how many people between him saying he wants to use nukes and the person who ultimately presses the final buttons (or however these things work) will say no? I don't really know how these things work so excuse my ignorance on these things.

Something along the lines of needing one person to give some codes, and another person having to give other codes, and another person entering them into the launch system. So no single person can ever just push a button.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I thought St Petersburg was the most liberal westernised city in Russia.
its also Putin's home town, presumably he'll feel safe there.

more importantly is the signalling. your average Russian is going to think Moscow isnt safe, so then does the army (and other forces) give up or turn against the state? eitherway, seems like the end for Putin. might not be immediate, i dont see how he has meaningful power anymore, others will make up their minds over the weekend.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So this guy isn’t anti Ukrainian attack he’s pissed of at the way the wars going
He is also pissed off that Russia killed a lot of his “fighters” in a friendly fire incident that the Russians deny as they would.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
These are dangerous times with much uncertainty. If he's toppled, somebody more unstable than Putin (hard to believe) may end up with their finger on the nuclear button.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
1687626819126.gif

That blokes a nutter!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you know what isnt going on? any apparent attempt to stop the Wagner forces, seems they've managed to drive hundreds of miles up the road unoppsed. though swing bridges across some large river have been opened, effectively closing the roads. even the Chechens, supposedly on way to take Rostov have not seemingly engaged with Wagner. all rather uneventful for a civil war so far.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Just waiting for the escalation in Ukraine now. Russia will want to put on a united front.

Battlefield nukes will definitely be on the agenda going forward IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here