Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WSF. The Origins Of Casuals In Brighton.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Regarding the music Spanish, In the town it was all US Soul The Message & White lines Grandmaster Flash, Peoples choice Jam Jam (all night long) King Jerry loved James Brown Get on the Good Foot/sex machine Marvin Gaye Sexual Healing was huge around the clubs. I mentioned Street life Randy Crawford Crusaders when you used to go to peoples houses, they listened to Lou Reed , The Stones even the first Dire Straits Album, "Dire Straits" that track Walking in the Wild West End. That caught the mood. You know Brighton, same old same old, anything goes really.

Cool, thanks Cavern, now I have visions of semi psychotic casuals bustin' moves on the dancefloor! Always a healthy music scene in Brighton too. Used to go trawling record shops whenever I got down to watch a game & picked up some gems more in the mid 80's with bits of Rare Groove. Record shops seemed to come & go a lot though, once heard a distributor stating he couldn't afford to give many shops in Brighton credit accounts as it was like a graveyard for record shops. I imagine it was actually because the music scene was healthy & that breeds competition which isn't great for record shops as the margins are shit. Apologies for the digression.
If you're building towards a book it seems you're right on track. I worked in Tenerife 89/90 & a guy called Jay Allen used to employ me as one of the DJ's in Paradise Lost / Bananas. He wrote "Bloody Casuals" one of the first memoirs of this ilk / genre. Good read, he headed up Aberdeens mob & from what I can see it still sells now so brings in what must be pretty good royalties. Nice guy& very game. It's a popular genre & you'd have plenty of interest from near & far so keep it up & I wish you well if you take that step.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
Thanks for joining me.

All the Best.

Cavern - Do you remember the double gut buster? It came with a government health warning. Funny how different people had different names. We all called him "Pink Eyed Pete"...f*** knows why.

Did you ever come across a big fella called "Chippy"....no need to describe his trade. He was the battering ram of our team. I am 6' 2, so he must have been 6' 5. He had a huge head and his speciality was a double nut. Bloke in front and bloke behind in one movement. Semi-stable pre Shades, he would become increasingly aggressive via Sussex, Pump House, Druids and Bath Arms and Queen Vic. Stepping into West St, his brutality switch would shift to

i remember chippy nice bloke
that was thew same night little danny got nicked with his dog
he was setting his dog on to man u supporters

Farnhamgull

Nov 10, 2009
Fantastic reading Cavern my friend, there is no doubt that the current generation of football fans are missing out so much nowadays with the sanatized nature of football. Please carry on posting your memories, it takes me back to happy times watching football and growing up.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Great reading Cavern.

I however (correct me if im wrong) get the impression that you and several of the people mentioned were not massive die in the wool Brighton fans and you may have just got into the scene / lifestyle / clothes at the time & following the Albion was a just an excuse to fight with whoever. Much the same as the teddyboys and skinheads before you, who used to go to the football just for the ruck not the football.

Im not having a go, i just think when football violence does occur there are several types involved ie people like who wanna fight with anyone, there just out for the fight.people who get caught in the moment and fight for the club and town, and people fighting in defence.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Wow - Even though I'm young. (20) I found that so gripping. Top work!

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
Picking up on the thread about music, I don't believe there were any acknowledged "anthems" or soundtrack to those days beyond what was popular at that time and personal tastes.

Now subject to obvious scorn (and no public admission), we used to listen and buy music as diverse as Wham, Duran Duran, Clash, The Smiths, Echo, Cure, Big Country, ABC, Human League, Psych Furs, U2, Madonna, Haircut 100, Tears for Fears, Talk Talk, Ultravox, Frankie.

I'd love to be a revisionist and claim we listened to far more soulful and timeless classics but that would be disingenuous.

What was the shop in Duke St with Red Cherries as it's emblem? Also, what was the club at the top of West St right opposite Duke St? Bentley's?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Picking up on the thread about music, I don't believe there were any acknowledged "anthems" or soundtrack to those days beyond what was popular at that time and personal tastes.

Now subject to obvious scorn (and no public admission), we used to listen and buy music as diverse as Wham, Duran Duran, Clash, The Smiths, Echo, Cure, Big Country, ABC, Human League, Psych Furs, U2, Madonna, Haircut 100, Tears for Fears, Talk Talk, Ultravox, Frankie.

I'd love to be a revisionist and claim we listened to far more soulful and timeless classics but that would be disingenuous.

What was the shop in Duke St with Red Cherries as it's emblem? Also, what was the club at the top of West St right opposite Duke St? Bentley's?
do you remember the bon soir ?? and valmonellas wine bar ?

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
Great reading Cavern.

I however (correct me if im wrong) get the impression that you and several of the people mentioned were not massive die in the wool Brighton fans and you may have just got into the scene / lifestyle / clothes at the time & following the Albion was a just an excuse to fight with whoever. Much the same as the teddyboys and skinheads before you, who used to go to the football just for the ruck not the football.

Im not having a go, i just think when football violence does occur there are several types involved ie people like who wanna fight with anyone, there just out for the fight.people who get caught in the moment and fight for the club and town, and people fighting in defence.

Can't speak for The Cav but I loved BHA as much as the birds and the booze. The period concerned was special because I was coming of age AND it coincided with BHA in the 1st Div and Cup Final.....almost divine intervention. Wouldn't have been nearly as much fun if we were in Div 3 or 4. The buzz was about Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, Man U, Leeds in town and what was going to happen. We were finally and argualbly not since, on the map. However, I do believe it was mostly (at least my lot) about young male needs to defend their territory from attack. 100,000 years of survival instincts. Just replace Vikings with Headhunters. Not very different.

Easy to get nostalgic about these things but everything did seem brighter to me. People, music, food, clothes, football. This was early Thatcher era and we'd just kicked the Argies in the arse. There was a up and coming feel good mood (at least I was in one). Football crowds, interest, style was at an all time high.

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
do you remember the bon soir ?? and valmonellas wine bar ?

Only in the sense of their existence but no details on location, experiences etc. Please fill in the void.

How about that multi story club opposite the Royal Albion. This was actually on the Old Steine facing the fountain vs. Basement and others that faced the seafront. What was the name of that place?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Only in the sense of their existence but no details on location, experiences etc. Please fill in the void.

How about that multi story club opposite the Royal Albion. This was actually on the Old Steine facing the fountain vs. Basement and others that faced the seafront. What was the name of that place?
the junction in the steine ?i remember going to the bonsoir, think it was down the end of western rd

thecavern

Jan 13, 2010
Just checked in quickly to see the great memories others are sharing and I am
made up that so many people have positive recollections.

Also really grateful to anyone who has expressed encouragement.
At the beginning I thought I was going to be flamed to a crisp :)

A few people have asked if I was really a true Albion fan and I can confirm I am. A neighbour began taking me to the Goldstone aged about 9 and we used to stand on the East Terrace near the south stand end. He used to bring me a small wooden hop-up so I wouldn't miss anything.

Thanks again for all the feedback lads.

cheers,

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I was interested to read the view of Spencer Vignes, the author of the Albion XI book 'A Few Good Men,' in the club programme earlier in the season. He wrote:

"The Firm came out the other week, yet another film seeking to glamorise the world of 1980s hooliganism. As someone who lived through this frequently terrifying period, I'm getting fed up with these pathetic attempts to re-write history. So football hooligans were nice boys who loved their music, clothes and only fought other rival gangs, right? What a load of bollocks.

"One of several brushes I had with these supposedly cheeky chappies occurred on Clapham Junction station after an Albion game at Fulham in 1985.

"Myself and four friends, all still at school, were surrounded by a group of Charlton 'casuals' who systematically robbed us before threatening to push one boy in front of a train. Two of our group were so traumatised that they stopped going to football altogether. That incident encapsulates the true face of hooliganism during the Eighties. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

Alonso Moseley

Jun 16, 2008
The Bonsoir was a basement on Montpelier road, almost on the junction with Western rd. Other clubs operating at the time (late 70's early 80's) were Cheminee on Western rd by Norfolk sq, Mardi Gras or The Panama in Regency Sq and the Inn Place under the Alhambra. There were also one or two members clubs that would open during the 3 - 6pm period when the pubs had to close. I remember one by the Sussex ice rink (The Oasis)? and one in a Regency Sq basement, which I think became the Banana bar, which later moved to Church rd in Hove.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I was interested to read the view of Spencer Vignes, the author of the Albion XI book 'A Few Good Men,' in the club programme earlier in the season. He wrote:

"The Firm came out the other week, yet another film seeking to glamorise the world of 1980s hooliganism. As someone who lived through this frequently terrifying period, I'm getting fed up with these pathetic attempts to re-write history. So football hooligans were nice boys who loved their music, clothes and only fought other rival gangs, right? What a load of bollocks.

"One of several brushes I had with these supposedly cheeky chappies occurred on Clapham Junction station after an Albion game at Fulham in 1985.

"Myself and four friends, all still at school, were surrounded by a group of Charlton 'casuals' who systematically robbed us before threatening to push one boy in front of a train. Two of our group were so traumatised that they stopped going to football altogether. That incident encapsulates the true face of hooliganism during the Eighties. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise."

Robbed by CHARLTON? I probably wouldn't own up to that...

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Just checked in quickly to see the great memories others are sharing and I am
made up that so many people have positive recollections.

Also really grateful to anyone who has expressed encouragement.
At the beginning I thought I was going to be flamed to a crisp :)

A few people have asked if I was really a true Albion fan and I can confirm I am. A neighbour began taking me to the Goldstone aged about 9 and we used to stand on the East Terrace near the south stand end. He used to bring me a small wooden hop-up so I wouldn't miss anything.

Thanks again for all the feedback lads.

cheers,

:clap: Enjoying it too thanks.
Looking forward to tonight's installment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here