Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WSF. The Origins Of Casuals In Brighton.

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
that was my brother...!

I was a fairly innocent 13 year old and didn't really know what was going on - but he'd come down on the train from Nottingham and had apparently had about 14 pints before the game, resulting in a slightly bizarre and incessant tirade targetted at big Joe... "Joe! Joe! You're rubbish... here comes Robbo again... etc, etc"

happy days :smile:

I was in the West Stand during that game. Didn't Big Joe break his arm in the 1st half? I remember giving Bond grief whenever he came over to the touchline.

ArfurW8

May 22, 2009
Fort Neef
I was like Michael Caine surrounded by hundreds of Zulus, funny it was only that time they came down and they did the same to Palace once on the last game of the season

You are correct Ernest,the notorious fancy dress battle,scary but funny at the same time.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I remember another Fulham game where we had the battle of Parsons Green.

That was the next stop up the line on our way home from a midweek game and Fulham were waiting to ambush the train. Albion piled out and there was a battle on the platform and one of those big pltform bench seats was hurled down the stairway at the retreating Fulham fans.

If we're owning up to the mstakes of our youth, I assisted in the throwing of the bench. We owned the place that night. Chelsea came from a side street to ambush us & got well & truly run on the walk back to Putney Bridge station. A mate of mine, Malc the Alc, ran straight into a lampost & knocked himself out in his haste to get at the Chelsea runners.
I think the mob that were waiting for us at Parsons Green had a bit of a surprise when the whole train was on the platform & at them.
I think it took about 3 different trains to get us back to Victoria. We had a huge turnout that night. One of my best awaydays as a young lad, definitely.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I remember Birmingham at home in 84, I brought a train down from Victoria mid morning and it was packed with their Zulus. Thought to myself this is going to be interesting this afternoon and was mental all afternoon and evening.
I can remember them round the back of the West trying to break down the big gates to get in and it carried on down town well into the evening.
We waited for them at the bottom of Goldstone Lane, & I remember someone, either Jimmy Hannigan or Ricky Ball barking out orders, "Stand your ground, nobody f***ing run". Also there was another fella who was loving it, lived up Edward St flats, f***ing nutter. That was a bit scary as the "Zulu" shout certainly got the old arse twitching just before the fun started.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Absolutely. Handsome articulate writing from a clearly smart writer. And out of a clear blue sky. Nobody expected THIS.

The only thing that could clearly let the side down, as it were, is lack of equally stylish photo-evidence. If there was a photographer of some craft and style documenting the scene as it unfolded then that would be the best thing ever. If thecavern is thinking of a book, then would respectfully suggest he refrain from including any blurry photos of spotty yoof in ill-advised trackies that would only detract from the tale. The prose deserves the very highest standard of accompanying photography. IMHO, like.

THPP , the wsf were anything but "spotty yoof" in ill advised trackies, there was so much more to the casual dressing scene than tracksuits.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
.Not much on here about mad jock ,he was really mad but also game as f*** saw him once steam into Man Citys main boys on his own they were so impressed they took him for a drink.
mad jock was one of those types that couldnt fight his way out of a paper bag, so sought to enhance his reputation by doing ridicuous things like steaming into large mobs on his own,how do i know he couldnt fight ? because i had a row with him in the sea house when i was only sixteen and more than held my own against the rubber faced cvnt after he threatened to glass me, i also believe he got cut up with a stanley knife by a certain wsf member with initials AB, im sure the cavern will be able to confirm this.

macky

Dec 28, 2004
mad jock was one of those types that couldnt fight his way out of a paper bag, so sought to enhance his reputation by doing ridicuous things like steaming into large mobs on his own,how do i know he couldnt fight ? because i had a row with him in the sea house when i was only sixteen and more than held my own against the rubber faced cvnt after he threatened to glass me, i also believe he got cut up with a stanley knife by a certain wsf member with initials AB, im sure the cavern will be able to confirm this.

a lot of people forget
he must have been 10 years older than the lot he used to try and bully

scouse23

Jan 30, 2008
Wookie is that Tony Covelle from Edenbridge, a Chelsea face, who was down with Crawley when we played them in the FA cup in the early 90's, also there was a good mate of mine and many more Chelsea (Also there was Martin King a Chelsea top boy i worked with), they had a dance at Churchill Square with some of Brightons finest. They had got the bus back from the game, but got spotted by someone who remembered Tony from England games, the spotter jumped off the bus and nipped in to a nearby pub to gather more troops. My Chelsea mate said the bus was coming up to Churchill Square and all he remembers was lots of lads running along next to the bus, which he thought was really strange as the bus was packed and he thought there was no way they were all going to fit on it, they got off the bus and the next thing he remembers is being chased all aound Churchill Square and ended up being battered outside Dixons, when it was all over an old lady came over to him while he was lying on the ground, blood coming from nose and mouth and she asked him ' You all right luv ?'. He got the train back to Crawley and said there was bloodied heads everywhere the train felt like one of those Red Cross transporters in a war zone, he saw a Crawley fan who had worn his Palace top to the game, which he thought was not a good move, who had been attacked in Queens Road the shirt i'm pleased to say was in tatters and covered in blood.

Nov 20, 2003
hove
mad jock

dont worry bushy im fully aware of Gary flockards short comings there were plenty of other lads in wsf who wernt all that one on one but game as f*** .

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
A lot of nostalga here with no doubt some selective memories. I heard th WSF got turned over by a load of psycobillies in Brighton?

If true that may well have been the Wreckin Crew who as you may know followed The Meteors and now call themselves the Kattle.

I saw them turn over Millwall fans whos pub they were playing in down New Cross way after a gig late 80s, and they also did the NF in southall.

Hampshireseagull will probably confirm most of them boys are nutters and scared of no one.

Last edited:

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
Meanwhile I was living in a parallel universe in The Alhambra, The Abinger, Hungry Years, The North Stand and The Cow Shed. I think I only got taxed once by you tasty boys - 20 Rothmans outside the Abinger on the way home. Happy days.

26-10-02

FFS MURRAY!!!!!!!!
Apr 22, 2004
purley
If true that may well have been the Wreckin Crew who as you may know followed The Meteors and now call themselves the Kattle.

I saw them turn over Millwall fans whos pub they were playing in down New Cross way after a gig late 80s, and they also did the NF in southall.

Hampshireseagull will probably confirm most of them boys are nutters and scared of no one.
Ask them about swamps in croydon early to mid 80's ,The manager had recruited anyone and everyone as doormen to control that lot.The only qualification was you needed a white shirt.They behaved themselves as they were totally out gunned.The only trouble was a massive fight between the recruited doormen and just about every bouncer from every pub in south london who tried giving it to a few locals.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003

The guy who told me was a Malc from Balcombe.

fritzthehun

Mar 25, 2009
Fulham away '85 i remember that very well, a group of us including a person mentioned on here a few times got attacked on the way back to the tube station, myself and a certain poster who is currently serving a years ban from NSC ended up in the nick, while the Fulham fans who were wielding the contents of a rubbish skip all got away

is this the fulham game when the wsf were ambushed after the game by a firm of QPR's boy's,big mistake,oop's running everywhere

webbyson

Pre & Post..*Gullsworth*
Jul 26, 2004
Mudhut
I remember Birmingham at home in 84, I brought a train down from Victoria mid morning and it was packed with their Zulus. Thought to myself this is going to be interesting this afternoon and was mental all afternoon and evening.
I can remember them round the back of the West trying to break down the big gates to get in and it carried on down town well into the evening.

Remember that as well, i used to stand in the North West terrace before i found the delights of the North stand. The Birmingham fans came in the open exit gates at the end and attacked a few of the local lads. It was before the time of the fences and we had to skip over the retaining wall and onto the pitch, not easy when one of your mates was a little bit on the unfit side and needed a bit of help.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here