Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Wristwatches,do you wear one ?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
My wristwatch was purchased in Singapore airport over 30 years ago for a very small amount of money. It's still going strong which is more than I can say about myself.
Airport? Pff, thats posh.

August 1988 . . 17 years old . .left Shoreham on a Vespa 125 at 5pm on Friday, headed for Morecombe . . .scooter rally . . . and away!

First stop . . . Refilled, I realised I had no idea what time it was . (Happy days!) but I was going to have to ride late . . . .so I bought a £1.99 digital watch in there with a metal strap . . . Put it on, nearly laceratred my wrist . . . . Took it off and chucked it in the tool box . . . . . . Some weeks later I tried wearing it again . . . No joy, threw the strap in the bin , kept the watch in my jacket pocket . . . Then sometime later dropped it in water . . . . that killed it . . . . Or so I thought . . . .
flipped the back off with a pen knife, took the guts out and put them on the windowsill to roast in the sun.

A few days later I remembered, picked it up and it was working . . . . . I took it to work, wrapped it in 3m transparent tape and kept it on the left hand end of my drawing board slide rule . . . . . All in all it lasted over 5 years. . . .

What a time piece . . . accurate and reliable. ☺️

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
that’s nice
Thanks. I bought my husband an Omega SeaMaster 007 edition I think. He kept admiring it in the shop, so I saved up and one day I said why don’t you try it on? He was not keen to do it as he didn’t think he was going to get it and does like waisting peoples time. I insisted saying it won’t hurt, just say it’s not you. So when he tried it on, I said do you like it and when the shop person looked away he was like, yeeesss. So I said to the shop person we will have it thanks. His face was like WTF 😂 when I paid for it. It turns out its doubled in value since I bought it.

I wanted to get him something he always wanted, we were trying for a baby at the time and I knew if we lucky to have one, it was probably the last time I would be able to afford to do something like that at least for a while anyway.

I turned out to be true until 24 years later for his 60th birthday I surprised him with a Ducati Monster SP and got the same look again 🙂

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Thanks. I bought my husband an Omega SeaMaster 007 edition I think. He kept admiring it in the shop, so I saved up and one day I said why don’t you try it on? He was not keen to do it as he didn’t think he was going to get it and does like waisting peoples time. I insisted saying it won’t hurt, just say it’s not you. So when he tried it on, I said do you like it and when the shop person looked away he was like, yeeesss. So I said to the shop person we will have it thanks. His face was like WTF 😂 when I paid for it. It turns out its doubled in value since I bought it.

I wanted to get him something he always wanted, we were trying for a baby at the time and I knew if we lucky to have one, it was probably the last time I would be able to afford to do something like that at least for a while anyway.

I turned out to be true until 24 years later for his 60th birthday I surprised him with a Ducati Monster SP and got the same look again 🙂
You’re definitely a keeper!

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
I've been looking for a new 'everyday' watch and, inspired by a combination of this thread and my husband who swears by them, I've decided to join the G-Shock club with one of these:

View attachment 178354
nice ...I recently bought the black one for work

1713351786314.png

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This ones a wild ride.
From scraping enamel out of a number 8 to 'favourite grease' talk - heady stuff.

As is customary though it's a quite stunning rebuild his attention to detail is so engaging.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well I've done a silly impulse thing I really can't explain.
I've just bought the latest JOMW review.

I've convinced myself I 'need' a big boy watch but my Barbieesque wrists won't allow it, so I was intrigued by this lugless puck.
I'm a sucker for lume.
Plus I wanted a different strap for the watch I made, and Barton has a 3 for 2 deal going on.

£64 for the watch £42 for 3 straps - I'll not be going out for fry ups this month but my watch collection will stand at 4.
(Edit 5 - I really must check on my £17 trial watch)

& 6 days later it arrived.

I've been a t'internet ninny regarding the strap so the show and tell will have to wait, although the metal bracelet isn't as wrong, on me, as I thought.

As said, it's AliExpress and sure there's all manner of reasons to be opposed, but beyond that.

This seemingly bombproof watch has arrived in 6 days even with Evri doing the final mile, tracked all the way.
With so many buyers guides on YouTube sorting out the winners for me, I'm finding it very hard to complain, esp not for £64 all in.
(My one other AliExpress watch is still perfect 6 months later)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've had the watch for a week and a half.
I really, really, like it.
Everyone who's seen it is very impressed with it's 'heft' and haven't got close to actual price - all going over £100 (even knowing I'm cheap and have stitched up financially, recently).

Mr JOMW was very unimpressed with the supplied strap.
I never wear a metal strap but have been wearing it while waiting for the others to arrive and I think is good - as said absolutely not a recommendation as I have nothing to compare it too.

Anyhoo the other strap + bonus strap arrived and here they are.

IMG_20240429_170835_846.jpg
IMG_20240429_171226_601.jpg

I'm going to persist with the raspberry one until such time as I can't take it anymore, because the black silicone is far superior in every way.

This is my second watch from AliExpress and I'm really happy with both.
There's a lot of shite over there but as many YouTube channels dedicated to sorting out the wheat from the chaff.

If you're lurking here and think you might like a watch but see it more as 'disposable' than investment/look at me, i couldn't recommend the process higher.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here