[Humour] Would you vote leave or remain..

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you…

• Leave

Votes: 57 14.1%
  • Remain

Votes: 348 85.9%

• Total voters

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
We've already done that and the public have spoken.
By that metric, we will never have another General Election, as 'the public have spoken'.

We did indeed have a referendum, but which the public chose a preference. Oddly enough, there was nothing in law that then obliged the UK to actually leave the EU - it was a referendum, and therefore merely indicative. Seven years later, and facing some of the toughest economic sanctions a nation has ever imposed upon itself, people are - oddly enough - pissed off.

There's nothing 'bed-wetting' about this; it's merely about the future prosperity, health and welfare of the UK and its citizens, and its ability to function on the world stage, of which the prospects are among the worst in the developed world. That's all, really.

Yet we left in a manner that was little more than a scorched earth, national theft of state assets on a grand scale - the likes of which would appal Russian oligarchs.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No problem with people changing their minds but people were asking for a second referendum the day after the first one!

If there was a referendum tomorrow and we voted to rejoin then so be it. I bet you wouldn't get the bedwetting from the leavers that we've seen over the last several years from the remainers.
You mean the 40 years of bedwetting that eventually led to the self harm....I mean referendum itself? This bedwetting bought down prime ministers and governments before it finally got it's way in 2016.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You missed one item off that list

Only 72% of the electorate bothered to vote in the referendum - that’s undemocratic.

Someone suggested earlier in the thread that voting should have been open to 16 year olds and restricted for the over 65s. That would have been undemocratic especially considering that more than a third of those under 25 didn’t vote yet more than 90% over 65 did.
People choosing not to vote is the height of democracy.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So if we have another referendum tomorrow and the remainers get it 52/48 you'd hope we didn't rejoin?
I would absolutely agree that it should not be binding as a stand alone vote.

I’m which case the first vote wouldn’t count either and we return to the EU.

But none of this is going to happen. Not in my lifetime anyway.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
No problem with people changing their minds but people were asking for a second referendum the day after the first one!

If there was a referendum tomorrow and we voted to rejoin then so be it. I bet you wouldn't get the bedwetting from the leavers that we've seen over the last several years from the remainers.
I bet you leavers would be apoplectic.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Remain, because we (our politicians and civil service) had no real idea how to leave nor actually believed we would vote that way. Entire thing has been a cluster**** I’m still of the opinion we should be able to choose our own path, however clearly we’re not realistically allowed to do that (along with a list of other things like getting rid of corrupt populist Prime Ministers!). Case of idealistic and the real world like so much else.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I said at the time and I’ll say it again - the Brexit vote should have been open to 16 to 65 year olds, or older if still working. Anyone older/retired had lived the bulk of their lives and Brexit wasn’t going to truly affect them either way.

The whole campaign was based on turning the UK back into 50s/60s Britain. Utter horseshit yet the baby boomers lapped it up from that evil mouth for hire. I don’t blame them, in 15 years time if some campaign made me think of the 80s/90s I’d probably be interested in it as no one wants to get old and everyone thinks their young decades were ace, not because they were better than others but because they were young.
Restricting votes because of elderly age wouldn’t get past a court of law. Next stupid idea…? And stop this Boomers are to blame for everything. It’s boring and complete bollocks. People can’t help the year they were born, and before casting judgement, I very much doubt you would be any different ie everyone votes in their self interest and a product of their lifetime experiences. Everywhere. At least where people are allowed to vote democratically.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Yeah, the point of leaving was the belief by some that we actually had the nous and status in the world economy to be more autonomous. I always doubted this, as we didn’t have a strong government even at that time, and our economy was stable if unspectacular. I voted remain and my position hasn’t changed, namely that we were bound by certain EU regulations which were patently unfair. However, politics is about compromise and the pros far outweighed the cons of membership. The EU wasn’t about to reform to address and rebalance, and Farage’s UKIP caught peoples ear with exaggerations and lies.

It has been a shitshow and will likely get worse, but what’s done is done.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

Wasn't the original referendum the result of leavers like Farage bedwetting for the last 25 years (and obviously Cameron's relentless hubris)?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Really?

"In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way."

That was Nigel Farage talking about a 52% remain win a month before the referendum had even been held. Sounds like remainers don't hold a monopoly on failing to accept the result of a democratic vote.

Here's another quote that I think is well worth remembering, from another prominent Brexiteer - David Davis:

“If a democracy cannot change its mind, it ceases to be a democracy”

Wise words.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Would probably have been more informative if we had more options:

* Voted Leave in 2016, would vote Leave today
* Voted Leave in 2016, would vote Remain today
* Voted Remain in 2016, would vote Leave today
* Voted Remain in 2016, would vote Remain today
* Did not vote in 2016, would vote Leave today
* Did not vote in 2016, would vote Remain today
* Did not vote in 2016, would not vote today
Surely we also need a ‘none of the above’ option too?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would change my mind and vote leave just to piss off all the wankers in this country that clearly can't accept democracy.
.....isnt the ability to change decisions the very nature of democracy?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
When you're digging a hole, the best advice is to stop digging.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
It will take a long time before the EU will want to even contemplate us rejoining the full Union. They are so piss*d off with Davies/ Johnson and co's pathetic and insulting behaviour while negotiation the leave deal that they really don't want us anywhere near them. Sadly we f'd up big time....

The best we can hope for is to rejoin the single market, if we can get a good enough deal.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The problem with this standpoint, is that it ignores that NOBODY actually voted for the ultra-hardline form of Brexit that the rabid Tory party enacted.

The Leave campaign set out various promises leading up the the vote, including remaining within the customs union, and retaining the right to work across Europe, no roaming charges, and a promised DROP in food bills.

You could argue that neither those voting FOR the promised Brexit, OR those who voted against, have got what they voted for. How is that 'democratic'?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The problem with this standpoint, is that it ignores that NOBODY actually voted for the ultra-hardline form of Brexit that the rabid Tory party enacted.

The Leave campaign set out various promises leading up the the vote, including remaining within the customs union, and retaining the right to work across Europe, no roaming charges, and a promised DROP in food bills.

You could argue that neither those voting FOR the promised Brexit, OR those who voted against, have got what they voted for. How is that 'democratic'?
Could you put this into a three word slogan please? People struggle with paragraphs.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I voted remain because I was worried what a leave would really look like.
Once leave was the outcome I was very concerned as the supposed promises that the leave campaign had made seemed to slowly fall apart
The Decline in the economy over the following years made me hugely concerned for our stability
However the increase in availability for superstar South American players has shown that leave was a brilliant idea...For BHAFC
Covid 19 took a huge focus of the nation and leave or remain has become less vital a decision, unfortunately the concerns of things costing more and individuals not getting the benefits of being a part of the EU hasn't really impacted holidays et al anywhere near as much as Covid did so most people are not too concerned either way

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

And no one voted for what is happening to Northern Ireland. Trade restrictions within our own borders.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports