Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Would you vote leave or remain..

Would you…

• Leave

Votes: 57 14.1%
  • Remain

Votes: 348 85.9%

• Total voters

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
And if they want to be in the future they can be asked if they want to change their minds. Democracy doesn't stop just because you get one result you like, democracies allow their citizens if they want to change their minds.
No problem with people changing their minds but people were asking for a second referendum the day after the first one!

If there was a referendum tomorrow and we voted to rejoin then so be it. I bet you wouldn't get the bedwetting from the leavers that we've seen over the last several years from the remainers.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Absolutely. Vote Starmer in and get him to rejoin then. I'd accept the result.

Well what is the point of anyone voting then? My vote counts as much as the next mans.
My point was actually that your action of voting (either way) would have no impact on anyone else. They literally wouldn't know who you are.

But, since you brought it up, yes your vote counts to you (hence the point in voting), but your SINGLE vote doesn't actually decide anything. That's why I rarely bother voting.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Absolutely. Vote Starmer in and get him to rejoin then. I'd accept the result.

Well what is the point of anyone voting then? My vote counts as much as the next mans.
Unfortunately, Starmer hasn't got the balls to put a second referendum on the table - he knows it would lose him red wall votes - maybe in his second term - remember he IS going to bring in legislation to let EU nationals vote in GEs

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
My point was actually that your action of voting (either way) would have no impact on anyone else. They literally wouldn't know who you are.

But, since you brought it up, yes your vote counts to you (hence the point in voting), but your SINGLE vote doesn't actually decide anything. That's why I rarely bother voting.
Very true but it's my protest vote no matter how insignificant it is (which I agree it is very insignificant) in the same way people spoil ballot papers.

And I agree on your second point. I live in one of the safest seats in the country. Totally pointless exercise me voting but I still do most of the time.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The referendum result then. I'd change my vote to leave to piss off the twats like that berk who stands outside parliament every day. The twats that protested after the vote. The "Not my PM" twats that protested after the last election. Basically anyone who is childish enough to not accept they lost.
52/48 was not a wide enough majority gap to treat the referendum as anything but an advisory poll.

The reason for the referendum was undemocratic.
The campaign was undemocratic.
The referendum was undemocratic.
The refusal to rethink the utterly catastrophic consequences wrought on the U.K. by an unworkable idea such as Brexit is wholly, thoroughly, and shamefully undemocratic.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I would change my mind and vote leave just to piss off all the wankers in this country that clearly can't accept democracy.

So, even though you voted Remain, you would now vote Leave to piss off some people who annoyed you, even though you now know it to be a complete clusterf*** and makes life harder for you and all the rest of the Electorate.

That's nice :wink:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I said at the time and I’ll say it again - the Brexit vote should have been open to 16 to 65 year olds, or older if still working. Anyone older/retired had lived the bulk of their lives and Brexit wasn’t going to truly affect them either way.

The whole campaign was based on turning the UK back into 50s/60s Britain. Utter horseshit yet the baby boomers lapped it up from that evil mouth for hire. I don’t blame them, in 15 years time if some campaign made me think of the 80s/90s I’d probably be interested in it as no one wants to get old and everyone thinks their young decades were ace, not because they were better than others but because they were young.
I get what you’re saying and you make a good point. I would not have been able to vote, which would not have been a problem. It would be interesting to know if those over 65 swung the vote to leave though. Self serving wankers if so….imo

If the majority of “leave“ votes came from younger people then so be it, they are the ones who will suffer or benefit from the outcome long term and I respect their choice. Voting Leave because you are old and think it will take you back to the pre 70s is just plain f***ing selfish and stupid.

I know older well educated and successful people who live in Europe who voted leave and that just left me slack jawed :shrug:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I said at the time and I’ll say it again - the Brexit vote should have been open to 16 to 65 year olds, or older if still working. Anyone older/retired had lived the bulk of their lives and Brexit wasn’t going to truly affect them either way.

The whole campaign was based on turning the UK back into 50s/60s Britain. Utter horseshit yet the baby boomers lapped it up from that evil mouth for hire. I don’t blame them, in 15 years time if some campaign made me think of the 80s/90s I’d probably be interested in it as no one wants to get old and everyone thinks their young decades were ace, not because they were better than others but because they were young.
Worth remembering nobody in the UK under the age of 25 has ever had a say in
Brexit. The next election will be the first in which Millennials outnumber Boomers, which could see the dynamic change quite quickly.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
If the Brexit referendum were held again tomorrow?

Not trying to start a second debate, simply a poll to see if anyone has changed their mind since the one held seven years ago.
Would probably have been more informative if we had more options:

* Voted Leave in 2016, would vote Leave today
* Voted Leave in 2016, would vote Remain today
* Voted Remain in 2016, would vote Leave today
* Voted Remain in 2016, would vote Remain today
* Did not vote in 2016, would vote Leave today
* Did not vote in 2016, would vote Remain today
* Did not vote in 2016, would not vote today

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
No problem with people changing their minds but people were asking for a second referendum the day after the first one!

If there was a referendum tomorrow and we voted to rejoin then so be it. I bet you wouldn't get the bedwetting from the leavers that we've seen over the last several years from the remainers.
Given the forty years of whinging up to 2016 I disagree, but there we go.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
If its less than 19% the dial has moved

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Unfortunately there is a huge foreignist element in this country. I say foreignist, which probably isn’t even a word, because their hatred extends beyond racism to anyone that they see as a foreigner. Their facebook pages are littered with cartoon bulldogs in Union Jack waistcoats, kneeling British Servicemen and images of St George. I know this as some are ex colleagues, who on the face of it seem perfectly normal until the subject of foreigners is brought up. They’ll never change their attitude.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
52/48 was not a wide enough majority gap to treat the referendum as anything but an advisory poll.

The refusal to rethink the utterly catastrophic consequences wrought on the U.K. by an unworkable idea such as Brexit is wholly, thoroughly, and shamefully undemocratic.
So if we have another referendum tomorrow and the remainers get it 52/48 you'd hope we didn't rejoin?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

You missed one item off that list

Only 72% of the electorate bothered to vote in the referendum - that’s undemocratic.

Someone suggested earlier in the thread that voting should have been open to 16 year olds and restricted for the over 65s. That would have been undemocratic especially considering that more than a third of those under 25 didn’t vote yet more than 90% over 65 did.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Vote remain, as I did back in 2016.

Amazed, whilst the history of political campaigns is awash with lies, no one has ever truly been held to account re the bullshit they put on the side of the 'Brexit' bus regarding the additional funding for the NHS?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Vote remain, as I did back in 2016.

Amazed, whilst the history of political campaigns is awash with lies, no one has ever truly been held to account re the bullshit they put on the side of the 'Brexit' bus regarding the additional funding for the NHS?
He ran away to Barnard Castle.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
BTW - Is this a humour topic when you consider the skip fire burning in our country?

On reflection of the last 7 years it amazes me back in 2016 it was only ever 52/48 with the level of propaganda pedalled in these shores by offshore interests.

I’d join tomorrow but its not realistic until we sort out our voting system to properly represent the population and without this the EU won’t be interested.

Hence, Labour’s position….

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I didn't vote in 2016. I don't vote, never have done and never will. I don't have political beliefs or an interest in politics. I also very rarely form opinions on such matters.

What I would say here though is that there have been no noticeable differences in my life during or since brexit, and I don't feel it has impacted me or my family whatsoever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here